NGD.. Why to buy from Ibanez Rules - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
NGD.. Why to buy from Ibanez Rules

I'm not really sure how this thread is going to progress but I can say that it should be somewhat interesting.

My original thoughts were that, since I constantly give my advice or opinions, I should show people that I actually follow my own words too.

There have been a few recent threads highlighting the RG3xxv's that were on sale through Sweetwater and everywhere else. They were selling for $399. All of them had some QC issues either severe or insignificant. My advice to one of our friends was to return his to Sweetwater, then contact Rich to see what he had in stock. That reply didn't sit with me very well because, in truth, I had no idea if Rich could better Sweetwater or not, and was I unfairly putting Rich on the spot?

So I did it. I emailed Rich to see what he had in stock and what price point he was at. What happened next was both surprising in some ways AND a torrent of reasons as to why Rich should be our ONLY Ibanez vendor.

I'm going to first qualify that Rich and I have no relationship other than me being a constant PITA hardware customer and a fellow Jemsiter. For all the times I've bothered him for prices, I've never bought anything more expensive that a trem kit. I am NOT one of his VIP customers (I know he's going to chime in letting us know were ALL VIP's, but seriously.....).

Rich replied to my email within minutes letting me know he'd honor everybody else's price of $399, but that was only on current inventory. This meant I had to get a CA as that's all he had in stock. I think I kinda blew his mind when the next email I sent was letting him know I PP'd $425 to him- $399 for the guitar + what I hoped was enough to cover shipping. He then let me know he had three in stock that I could choose from. the bodies were all equally clean on initial inspection, but the necks on each had blemishes.

The first had a dark mineral stain on the back that was too deep to sand out but had a nice clear fretboard and almost no visible grain.......Next!

The second had a TINY black spot on the back center that would have easily sanded out if polishing didn't work. This one had a beautiful fretboard too, but Rich didn't like the action profile on this neck...... personally, it was my favorite up til now......Next!

The third had a beautifully clean back with a nice flamey piece of maple centered in the 3-piece neck BUT there was a VERY dark spot about the size of a thumbprint dead center in the 6th fret.........Next!!! Wait that was all three......DAMN!!!

I at least wanted a clean neck to do a "polishing the turd" thread. I really wanted #2 since it was going to be the easiest on to clean up without re-finishing but Rich felt like #1 was the best. I replied that I really didn't like that mineral stain because, no matter what I did to the rest of the guitar, I couldn't fix that......it was permanent. I decided on #2 again, it was going to be easy to clean and I could always re-level the frets for a better relief profile. Rich asked if I was sure. I started to waffle, He's really trying to tell me he like #1 the best. Even with the mineral stain #1 had the best relief and the cleanest board. It was going to be the better player out of the two. This is when I asked about the stain on the fretboard of #3. How bad was it? I'm gonna have to do fretwork on any of the three because, as usual, The Indo's left a mess behind. Rich said it was pretty dark then asked if I wanted a close-up pic. SURE I DO!!! WTH, if it's that bad I'll refinish the board.

The next email from him included pics....... Rich put his magic spit to work and "rubbed out" the stain (He DID tell us that he rub's it out often while on the clock...) Well HELL YEAH!!! Other than the crappy Indo fretwork #3 was the cleanest neck with a good profile....DONE, I want #3!!!

The next couple email's I got cannot be repeated here because of the curse filter but, in a nutshell, Rich had calmly let me know how much he LOVES the Indonesian plant workers and the quality of their work..... it was touching really.

Unfortunately, they burned through the clear on the tip of the horn while polishing.... when I say burned, I mean black and brown boiled paint type of burned.....

So now, waiting for my reply, Rich dis-assembled ALL THREE guitars to mate the best body with my neck. He took detailed pics of all three, sent them, and waited for my reply. The body on #2 had some weird tiny little brown spots in it.......#1 had a run in the clear on the tip of the lower horn. I chose #1 but before I let him know he already had it together, correctly anticipating my answer, block leveled the frets (Thanks dude!), shaved the fret ends, AND polished out almost every scratch the indo's left in the frets!!!!

What I hope your all seeing is what Rich went through for a "run of the mill" customer on a guitar that he sold AT A LOSS!!!! That's right, He actually sold it to me for less than he paid AND bent over backward while jumping through hoops trying to take good care of me...........

I can't tell you all how thankful I am to him, but I'm sure you can imagine.....

Everyone says Sweetwater has great customer service........ I'd like to see them try to match this, especially at 1am like Rich did for me..............

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Vendor

Re: NGD.. Why to buy from Ibanez Rules

Ooops, can only go downhill from here

Correction, I'd match with what they had in inventory, they're out of blue so I'd match on the red, if they had both I'd match both, but I only like loosing so much money before I start abusing the curse filter in my head

I appreciate you paying for shipping. I was going to include it, but before you got the email you'd already paid!

Don't you have a turd to polish?
post #3 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:35 PM

Awesome. He is a great guy and always is helpful. He needs to add a button on his page to let us buy him beer.
post #4 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Vendor

Send all the medical doobs you want. Email for the address
post #5 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Ooops, can only go downhill from here

Correction, I'd match with what they had in inventory, they're out of blue so I'd match on the red, if they had both I'd match both, but I only like loosing so much money before I start abusing the curse filter in my head

I appreciate you paying for shipping. I was going to include it, but before you got the email you'd already paid!

Don't you have a turd to polish?
LOL... I prefer to polish AFTER taking my medicine....

I never would have figured shipping to be included but was happy to pay it. It's not like you get it free, and you were already taking a loss.

WARNING:
I forgot to mention, for the Jemsiter physical protection AND Rich's sanity.....

Don't anybody ever ask Rich to sell them a standard Indo, your only inviting disaster!!! This MAY be true for Premiums as well.................
post #6 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Vendor

Matching is matching, they include shipping so to match so would I. But I think you got the extra dollar worth so if you're cool so am I

I never would have inventories those RG3's if I hadn't started with the 1's. All Indo's are far more trouble than they're worth. I'm still on the fence with premiums but it'll probably only take me a couple more nightmare jobs before I kick them out of inventory also.
post #7 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Matching is matching, they include shipping so to match so would I. But I think you got the extra dollar worth so if you're cool so am I

I never would have inventories those RG3's if I hadn't started with the 1's. All Indo's are far more trouble than they're worth. I'm still on the fence with premiums but it'll probably only take me a couple more nightmare jobs before I kick them out of inventory also.
Ummmm.... beyond cool!! you get the next "extra dollar"!!!

I better order that 950 soon then......LOL
post #8 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Vendor

Isn't one turd enough to polish?
post #9 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Vendor

BTW, you forgot that I had to correct the neck pocket on that one, string alignment was off by over a mm.

Don't everybody start taking and twisting my words on Premiums. You all know my standards aren't normal, and when they're sorted they're very nice guitars that stay in perfect tune like no other cheap-mid range Ibanez ever has. The cheap Indo stuff is the same, but to get them into instrument level is just not a good paying job, so it's one I obviously don't like! It's just all the little cosmetic stuff on all of them that drives me to take medicine!
post #10 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

DAMN.......... I did forget that. Just one more reason to support this threads title.........

After playing this 25th, I KNOW your standards are way higher than mine. What you might call a POS, I find to be a nice player.
post #11 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Vendor

It did play good when it was done, but the road between is just too long!
post #12 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:20 PM

Reviews: 4

Rich,Ibanez should send you some kind of bonus/anything for being a vendor on the level that you are.The customer service at the level that you do it at, is top notch.
post #13 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:21 PM

Yup, you gotta give credit where it due. Cool thread, thanks for posting!
post #14 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:46 PM

Rich made me cry.
post #15 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 08:08 PM

Based on RGT's experience with this 3xxxv, I believe my 350 is probably a diamond in a pile of turds. The frets have no problems (they may need to be worked on a bit, but it doesn't effect the playability) the overall feel of the guitar is great. Sucks that the Indo guys got so lazy when they can make decent axes.

and Happy NGD!

Tags
rg3xxv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode