NGD x2 Unexpected Suprises! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

NGD x2 Unexpected Suprises!

Had to make an hour and half trip to my nieces Bday party today. I always check CL for the towns I am passing through JIC. I knew I was going to stop by and grab a tweed HC someone was selling super cheap, while I was there I asked if he was selling anything else. Low and behold he says I was thinking of selling this old charvel I dont play anymore. He walks out with a super mint 89 Charvel Fusion Deluxe with the rare rainbow crackle finish and even rarer maple board. I could barely contain myself....lol. Bought it.

Went up the road a little more to check out a "partscaster" said it had a rosewood neck made by "Nova". Snagged that up. Sweet Sweet neck on it. During some down time at the birthday party I did more research. Super suprised to find out this might not be a "partscaster" at all, but a custom strat made by Nova Custom USA which is the precursor to Buscarino guitars(he makes 10,000 dollar custom archtops) I am very anxious to tear this one down to find out if the body in fact goes with the neck. The neck I have already confirmed to my satisfaction is a Burscarino Nova neck not rosewood but Buscote with rosewood board. The body and pickguard seem to match other photos of these nova guitars with the exception of the pickups. The guy I bought it from said it had emg's when he first got it but he swapped them out for passives. Most of the 80s Buscarino's had emg's from what I have found so far. If anyone has or knows about these I would love some more info. Until then here are some quick pics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:39 PM

Re: NGD x2 Unexpected Suprises!

Sweet scores. Love the Charvel body finish. Hopefully your parts Strat winds up being what you hope it might be.

Best.
J
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:06 PM

Reviews: 6

Lucky SOB. I love those rainbow crackles. Charvel and BC rich definitely had a sweet crackle line up during the 80's. I've never seen up close yet. Except for a white one that looked terrible lol
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:28 AM

Reviews: 13

WOW, thats all i can say!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!! Well I took the guitar apart and there is good news and bad news...lol. I still think the body is an original match for the neck. The neck is marked with the Nova Custom USA stamp on the heel. It looks like I got an original 70's or early 80's BL 500L with Pat pending sticker. The bad news is the body was originally routed for S S S and when they put in the hum they routed out some chunks, and glued in some wood to direct mount the pickups. There also appears to be a red or maroon color under the black in some of the chipped areas. So it looks like this was refin, done well though. I am pulling the BL and going to order a new s-s-s pickguard. Gonna take it back to as stock as possible.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 06:38 PM

great score love the crackle..enjoy them..congrats
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 PM

Reviews: 10

I really like both guitars - that Charvel is a great 80's collectible find - and I love the Strat! When I first saw the pic of the neck I thought that it must be some kind of exotic wood from Warmoth perhaps...I'm not familiar with Buscote...how does it sound? 2 nice new guitars found on a single quest - very nice ;o) congrats man!!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
I really like both guitars - that Charvel is a great 80's collectible find - and I love the Strat! When I first saw the pic of the neck I thought that it must be some kind of exotic wood from Warmoth perhaps...I'm not familiar with Buscote...how does it sound? 2 nice new guitars found on a single quest - very nice ;o) congrats man!!!
I actually misspelled the wood it is Bocote. As far as playing on it, it feels great. I never actually plugged the guitar up to an amp before I took it apart. I am making some decisions on what pickup set to go with. I am also waiting for confirmation the body is a nova also and hopefully find out what wood it was built with. I am thinking it is going to have the same characteristics as my RBM2NT. The neck feels very similar to that as far as playability.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 PM

Reviews: 2

Damn that Charvel look like one i bought in New York in the late 80ties. Can't remember if it got a maple neck tho, think it had rosewood,will have to check old pictures. Cool guitars...really 80ties look.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

That crackle goes with my other "fire crackle" 5A. Id like to come across the yellow and black crackle. Those are some cool finishes for sure.

On another note, I never did hear back from Buscarino, so I will probably post in some other threads around the net to try and get the validity of the black body.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 12:13 AM

Daaannggg... I had a fire crackle predator (?) back in the day, with reverse headstock and toothpaste logo. I did not take it seriously because I thought the finish was gaudy at the time and eventually let it go! Kicking myself now!!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:20 PM

That Strat looks down right amazing. THAT NECK
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:42 PM

congrats awesoenjoy them.me finds ..love the crackle charvel ..
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:43 PM

me bad ..congrats on ur buys ..enjoy them.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Well I finally got around to putting on the new pearloid pickguard along with a set of emg sv's, since these buscarino nova's usually came with emgs to begin with. I think she looks a good bit better than when I first picked her up. Sounds really nice too I also just got in a set of graph tech saddles for it but havent installed them yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode