NGDish Charvel Custom Production - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up NGDish Charvel Custom Production

I call this a Charvel Custom Order because I can't find another exactly like it. There are a lot that look like it but what sets it apart is the 5-way selector. All others similar to it have a 3-way swtich.

It has Dimarzio Evo in the neck and Tone Zone in the bridge. 5-way swtich wired to give 1-bridge full, 2-bridge full with neck split in parallel, 3-bridge and neck in parallel, 4-neck split, and 5 neck full.

I got it a few months back in a trade deal and when I got it I noticed the neck was lose it its pocket. When I went to tighten the screws up all but one striped in the hole. I tried different fixes like slightly longer screws but all the holes were wallowed out. I found a great fix on ebay shown in a pic below. That neck shown is not mine but used to show how it works. Other than Charvels pissy screws the build quality is top notch. It must have been a Monday morning or Friday evening guitar assembly job.

Now that I have it fixed it is a very nice guitar. I will very definitely hold on to it for a while.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 PM
rgx

Re: NGDish Charvel Custom Production

It stamped "Warmoth" on the neck, so this isn't a Charvel. And it looks similar to TMZ Natural series, but those are with Symour Duncan pick ups and the 2 humbucker model would have a 3 position switch, like on the Les Paul, not a 5 or 3 way lever switch, so I would think that the body is fake too.
Though it looks really nice.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:29 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgx View Post
It stamped "Warmoth" on the neck, so this isn't a Charvel. And it looks similar to TMZ Natural series, but those are with Symour Duncan pick ups and the 2 humbucker model would have a 3 position switch, like on the Les Paul, not a 5 or 3 way lever switch, so I would think that the body is fake too.
Though it looks really nice.
You could at least read what it says before you start calling things fake. He said that the neck isnt his, it's just a picture of the solution for the problem he mentioned. Also, you can get both the natural finish and a 5-way switch with a custom Charvel(if you order it that way)
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:32 PM
rgx

Yep, my bad, I've missed that part about the neck. So, maybe it's a legitimate custom, it's easy to find out, just e-mail them the request for info and the serial number and they'll send you all the info.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 PM

I'm thinking Charvel production neck and parts on a replacement body. That's the MiKorea Floyd that comes on the regular Charvels, the Custom Shops all come with a German OFR.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

You guys are not paying attention. I didn't say it came form the custom shop. It didn't come from the custom shop. I wasn't going to take my guitar apart to take a pic of the fix so I used pic from the seller of the fix.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

I wanted to add I know where it came from. it was custom ordered by Splawn Guitars and I got it from the guy that got it from them. I spoke to Scott Splawn through email and got the history of the guitar before I traded for it.

People on the internet are funny.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 10:05 PM

I wasn't aware you could "custom order" a guitar from Charvel without it being a short run(like Musiczoo) or being from the Custom Shop.

Aside from the body, pickup rings, and 5way, everything else is stock USA SoCal.

Last edited by toshiro; 02-19-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: came off harsher than I wanted.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
I wasn't aware you could "custom order" a guitar from Charvel without it being a short run(like Musiczoo) or being from the Custom Shop.

Aside from the body, pickup rings, and 5way, everything else is stock USA SoCal.

Splawn Guitars is a Charvel dealer and I guess they can custom order single units. Yes, everything else is stock SoCal.

About the original neck screws. Charvel neck joint is a bit slanted for better access. So it requires different screw lengths. Charvel (at least on this one) doesn't order various screw lengths they took one length screw and "broke" them to the required length. It is why I called the assembly a Monday morning or Friday evening guitar. Some of the screw were not "broke" to the proper length.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 10:30 PM

What? I know a couple guys with Custom Shops that have the slanted heel/recessed plate, and they have short screws for the outer 2, not broken down ones.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What? I know a couple guys with Custom Shops that have the slanted heel/recessed plate, and they have short screws for the outer 2, not broken down ones.
Again, your not paying attention at all. IT IS NOT A CUSTOM SHOP GUITAR. It is only a custom ordered production model or you can say it is a production guitar with a custom option or you can say it is a one off production model or you can understand IT IS NOT A CUSTOM SHOP GUITAR.

Geez man, Really?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Again, your not paying attention at all. IT IS NOT A CUSTOM SHOP GUITAR. It is only a custom ordered production model or you can say it is a production guitar with a custom option or you can say it is a one off production model or you can understand IT IS NOT A CUSTOM SHOP GUITAR.

Geez man, Really?
Why would Charvel break screws for your guitar when they have the right screws 2 tables over? It's ridiculous. If it is a one off, it would still be assembled in the damn Custom Shop. Charvel doesn't have 2-3 USA shops making guitars.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Your STILL not paying attention. Remember in several post where I said it was a Monday morning or Friday evening assembly job? Allow me to explain that to you.

On Monday morning after drinking and partying all weekend JimBob who is sick and hung over is too damn lazy to travel two tables over and get the right screws. So he says "Heck I will just break these so I don't have to get up. If I get up I will puke."

Or.......

On Friday Susie RottenCrotch is itching to get out on the town and "infect" the town with her eagerness for some carnal wammy action and was is a lazy hoe anyway and asked JimBob to hook her up with some of the screws he had left over from Monday.

Not to mention the part where I SPOKE to Scott Splawn from www.splawnguitars.com where I was going to order one just like it but ended up trading for this one instead.

Did you take your Ritalin today?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 11:11 PM

Have you ever broken one of those screws? It's a bitch, and a lot more work than getting the right one.

The Dinky body like that is only really available on the Dimartini Snakeskin, and isn't even on the Custom Shop order form.

Personally, I think someone fed you a load of crap, and that was a parts guitar.

Either way, that's ****ed up that they used broken screws in the neck.

Last edited by toshiro; 02-19-2011 at 11:18 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Either way, that's ****ed up that they used broken screws in the neck.
That we can agree upon. It isn't a parts guitar. It was a custom order made sold by Splawn Guitars. Do I really need to post the email from Scott at Splawn guitars to prove it?

Those screws are not hard to break if you know how to break things properly. Screw them into a piece of wood and take a pair of good channel lock pliers and in one quick motion snap them. Not hard.

Edit: Officially it is called a SD1 2H Charvel with a Custom oiled "DINKY" Mahogany Body

Tags
charvel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode