NGD's - PRS SE & Tele content! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up NGD's - PRS SE & Tele content!

I stopped at a super high-end shop here in the Twin Cities over the weekend. In the "back room" (where they keep the non-vintage "**** guitars") was a small gaggle of PRS SE's. I've glanced at them before, but never thought about them much. I picked a couple up. Not bad. Fit and finish were nice. Sounded good acoustically. Felt good.

I think I mentioned that I'm done with big $$$ guitars as of late. Just not worth it. Hard to unload. Trading is okay, but cash? Forget it.

So...I perused the local GC used **** ads. Went out and tried a couple. Bought them BOTH! I came home with a Singlecut and a Custom 22. Polished them up, re-strung, and set up to my liking. Easy. Excellent. Impressed! I may throw JB's into them, but beyond that, there's nothing to want for. Simple, playable, and outstanding for what I paid. They kill my Epi's, and hold their own against much "better" guitars.

So good...that I bought a Mushok today. I was looking for a baritone, since I had recently sold my Ibanez RGD's. it doesn't give up much. I'll probably tune it down to drop G# (like Love and Death), but it's SIMPLE and SOLID.

Anyone else out there digging these? Others I should have? I'm thinking a Soapbar might be in my future to round it out...

Here we go...

To go along with those, here are my other recent acquisitions:
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele neck on a Might Mite body
Fender FSR Player's Tele w/Vintage Noiseless and 25db mid-boost
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele

The Squiers are getting new Wilkinson Tele bridges with 3-barrel compensated brass saddles, and the blue one is getting a Dimarzio Chopper T and the white one is getting a SD Little '59. The "blizzard pearl" one came with a tortoise pick guard, but that went as soon as I changed the strings. Not a tortoise fan. This may be getting a Chopper at some point as well. The necks on the Squiers - WOW. They give up nothing on the MIM stuff, and are on par with some of the USA's I've had.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Re: NGD's - PRS SE & Tele content!

Man I love the PRS SE. Just picked up a SE Custom Semi-Hollow....LOVE IT! Love the blue sparkle Tele by the way....awesome collection!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 01:03 PM

I tried a blue sparkle tele just like that one at the music go round in Roseville. I love that finish on it. I had to snap out of a trance or I would have bought it.

Nice guitars all around dude!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 01:33 PM

Reviews: 11

Classy guitars minus that sparkly blue one... that said,... I LOVE The sparkly blue one hahaha

That middle prs looks very very very tasty man, I dig how it's just simple and understated.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I tried a blue sparkle tele just like that one at the music go round in Roseville. I love that finish on it. I had to snap out of a trance or I would have bought it.

Nice guitars all around dude!
Lol...then you played THIS one!

Thanks - they sure are fun!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Classy guitars minus that sparkly blue one... that said,... I LOVE The sparkly blue one hahaha

That middle prs looks very very very tasty man, I dig how it's just simple and understated.
It's gaudy - like an old ride at your county fair. I love it... I've always liked the sparkle finishes, but this is the first I've actually owned.

Yeah - I am really warming up the the PRS finish. I was on the fence, as I like the Silverburst too, but this one is a little understated for sure, just...classy. Especially for a signature model.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

I did some "surgery" on the Teles last night, and both the Squiers have sc-sized humbuckers in the bridge now - Chopper T in the blue and a Little '59 in the white one. The blue sparkle now has a black pickguard too - looks better IMO, and it kinda pops. With that and the hum, it's a little more "rock" now. I'm beginning to think the the white one might be a USA or Mexi body though - it didn't look like pine in the neck pocket. Kinda heavy too. I put the Wilkinson bridges in too, and all went well. They set up well, and sound terrific. I think I'll probably find a bridge p'up for the pearl Fender too, and I already have a bridge for it.

Couple "post-op" pics:

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 07:14 AM

I've owned two SE's, both great guitars. First was a Torero, very well built, sounded great, I ultimately didn't gel with that neck. Moved on to a PRS Bernie Marsden and that was one hell of a guitar for the money. I ended up changing out the pickups and pots but there literally wasn't a single flaw on that guitar and thanks to the pickups, it sounded better than my LP in a lot of ways. And played better to boot.

Have you seen the 2013 SC soapbar? More GAS. http://www.prsguitars.com/se245soapbar/

The SE line is definitely a gateway drug. I ended up purchasing two USA models all within the past month, a 305 and a DGT. They're both killer instruments. The DGT has a very similar neck to one of my Ibanez in some ways yet it gives me LP tones. But I've had to put two Ibanez on the block as a result including one of my dream guitars. GAS can also suck.

I think the SE line, with upgraded electronics are a killer deal. They just keep getting better year after year too with small changes.

Tags
classic vibe , fender , prs es , squier , telecaster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode