Ibanez JEM Forum banner

NGD's - PRS SE & Tele content!

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MichelIV 
#1 ·
I stopped at a super high-end shop here in the Twin Cities over the weekend. In the "back room" (where they keep the non-vintage "**** guitars") was a small gaggle of PRS SE's. I've glanced at them before, but never thought about them much. I picked a couple up. Not bad. Fit and finish were nice. Sounded good acoustically. Felt good.

I think I mentioned that I'm done with big $$$ guitars as of late. Just not worth it. Hard to unload. Trading is okay, but cash? Forget it.

So...I perused the local GC used **** ads. Went out and tried a couple. Bought them BOTH! I came home with a Singlecut and a Custom 22. Polished them up, re-strung, and set up to my liking. Easy. Excellent. Impressed! I may throw JB's into them, but beyond that, there's nothing to want for. Simple, playable, and outstanding for what I paid. They kill my Epi's, and hold their own against much "better" guitars.

So good...that I bought a Mushok today. I was looking for a baritone, since I had recently sold my Ibanez RGD's. it doesn't give up much. I'll probably tune it down to drop G# (like Love and Death), but it's SIMPLE and SOLID.

Anyone else out there digging these? Others I should have? I'm thinking a Soapbar might be in my future to round it out...

Here we go...

To go along with those, here are my other recent acquisitions:
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele neck on a Might Mite body
Fender FSR Player's Tele w/Vintage Noiseless and 25db mid-boost
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele

The Squiers are getting new Wilkinson Tele bridges with 3-barrel compensated brass saddles, and the blue one is getting a Dimarzio Chopper T and the white one is getting a SD Little '59. The "blizzard pearl" one came with a tortoise pick guard, but that went as soon as I changed the strings. Not a tortoise fan. This may be getting a Chopper at some point as well. The necks on the Squiers - WOW. They give up nothing on the MIM stuff, and are on par with some of the USA's I've had.

See less See more
#6 ·
Classy guitars minus that sparkly blue one... that said,... I LOVE The sparkly blue one hahaha

That middle prs looks very very very tasty man, I dig how it's just simple and understated.
It's gaudy - like an old ride at your county fair. I love it... I've always liked the sparkle finishes, but this is the first I've actually owned.

Yeah - I am really warming up the the PRS finish. I was on the fence, as I like the Silverburst too, but this one is a little understated for sure, just...classy. Especially for a signature model.

#7 ·
I did some "surgery" on the Teles last night, and both the Squiers have sc-sized humbuckers in the bridge now - Chopper T in the blue and a Little '59 in the white one. The blue sparkle now has a black pickguard too - looks better IMO, and it kinda pops. With that and the hum, it's a little more "rock" now. I'm beginning to think the the white one might be a USA or Mexi body though - it didn't look like pine in the neck pocket. Kinda heavy too. I put the Wilkinson bridges in too, and all went well. They set up well, and sound terrific. I think I'll probably find a bridge p'up for the pearl Fender too, and I already have a bridge for it.

Couple "post-op" pics:

#8 ·
I've owned two SE's, both great guitars. First was a Torero, very well built, sounded great, I ultimately didn't gel with that neck. Moved on to a PRS Bernie Marsden and that was one hell of a guitar for the money. I ended up changing out the pickups and pots but there literally wasn't a single flaw on that guitar and thanks to the pickups, it sounded better than my LP in a lot of ways. And played better to boot.

Have you seen the 2013 SC soapbar? More GAS. http://www.prsguitars.com/se245soapbar/

The SE line is definitely a gateway drug. I ended up purchasing two USA models all within the past month, a 305 and a DGT. They're both killer instruments. The DGT has a very similar neck to one of my Ibanez in some ways yet it gives me LP tones. But I've had to put two Ibanez on the block as a result including one of my dream guitars. GAS can also suck.

I think the SE line, with upgraded electronics are a killer deal. They just keep getting better year after year too with small changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.