a nice find... a bc rich? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

a nice find... a bc rich?

Hey everyone,

It has been a little while.

I was browsing a discount/closeout stock store and they had a BC rich mockingbird. I have always liked the shape but never really thought about getting one. I mean come on... Buy a BC rich? They put out some terrible quality for a long time, but this mockingbird looked awesome and had a bunch of switches and was neck through. Turns out the model is called STQ.

So I played it and was instantly impressed. The finish was solid, no sloppy tape jobs or neck binding. The fret ends are shaped and rounded perfect. The action really low given that it was a factory setup. I can't find anything wrong other than the fact it was made by BC rich.

I bought it and really enjoy it. I plan on changing out the pickups, the stock Duncan 103s aren't bad though.

I would recommend this guitar to someone looking for a les Paul style guitar, but want a little more unique look.

Pics to follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 11:11 PM

Re: a nice find... a bc rich?

Not all BC Rich stuff deserves the reputation they get, some are solid instruments!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Not all BC Rich stuff deserves the reputation they get, some are solid instruments!
agreed.I feel my mockingbird is comparable quality wise to any other of the major guitar makers.

I know BC rich was bought out a few years back and I am assuming sometime between then and now they turned things around.

I had an NJ warlock back in like 2001 and It wasn't on par with other guitars. I got an awesome deal on it because i bought it online when they were closing out but i would have sent it back if i paid full price.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 PM

I had an acrylic Mockingbird at one time,, the green one. I bought the body loaded on CL for $40. Bought a neck for it and and although heavy, it played and sounded wonderful. It had serious sustain and the BDSM pickups sounded surprisingly good. Also had an early 80's Warlock bass with a custom pickguard that was bad ass.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

finally got around to taking a couple of pictures of it. Again i an extremely happy with it.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 12:55 AM

Very nice! I've never been a BC Rich fan, but I always liked the mockingbird shape.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:10 PM

I've got 6 BCR's, but they're all American and all are basses ranging from 1978 to 2007, one of which is a Mock
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 11:57 AM

There's a lot of people out there that believe the Quadmatic Bridge (quad) is the best hard tail bridge on the market and as far as I know they're proprietary to BC Rich. I can't comment on feel, but the amount of adjusting that can be done is above and beyond anything I've come across.

Congrats, I was definitely thinking about picking one of these up myself.

How good was the deal if you don't mind me asking?

Tags
bc rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode