No more Edge-Pro!?!?! :( - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 18
Unhappy No more Edge-Pro!?!?! :(

I just read on a site that Ibanez stopped putting Edge Pro's on their guitars in October 2009 and switched them to the Edge Zero on Prestige and Original Edge/Lo-Pro on Jems and such. I'm kind of disappointed because I was planning to save up this summer and hopefully buy a RG1527M. But the site said they will continue to sell the Edge-Pro equipped guitars in early 2010 until they are all gone. Hopefully if I do save money some 1527M's will still be available with the Pro's. I would be less upset if they switched them all to the Original Edge. So since they're making the switch how well do the Edge Zero's perform? Because I heard some people don't like them then others do.

And are any of you guys disappointed too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 12:51 AM

Re: No more Edge-Pro!?!?! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNZ_RG View Post
I just read on a site that Ibanez stopped putting Edge Pro's on their guitars in October 2009 and switched them to the Edge Zero on Prestige and Original Edge/Lo-Pro on Jems and such. I'm kind of disappointed because I was planning to save up this summer and hopefully buy a RG1527M. But the site said they will continue to sell the Edge-Pro equipped guitars in early 2010 until they are all gone. Hopefully if I do save money some 1527M's will still be available with the Pro's. I would be less upset if they switched them all to the Original Edge. So since they're making the switch how well do the Edge Zero's perform? Because I heard some people don't like them then others do.

And are any of you guys disappointed too?
Yes, I'm insanely disappointed that Ibanez no longer uses the edge pro, lo pro, and only puts the original edge on reissues and signature models. That should tell Ibanez something when their primary artists prefer Ibanez's old hardware.

I would own the new Desert Yellow rg3550 if it weren't for the edge zero on there. I have an extra edge tremolo laying around but I doubt it will fit nicely in the route for the edge zero.

"the edge zero... the floating tremolo for people who don't want a floating tremolo". That's brilliant marketing if you ask me.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 04:43 AM

i'm not disappointed at all, quite the contrary, i'm glad they got rid of the EdgePro. don't get me wrong, it works great, but it's stiffer then the OE/LP, and it also looks too chunky, and since the look is important, especially on an Ibanez guitar, i care about. i like the look of the EZ instead, and all the EZs i've worked on, worked great, never had a problem. people complaint about it mainly because it's the new thing, exactly like they did when the EP came out.
also, i think they will replace the EZ with the LP in a near future, since they have to reissue the LP 6-string for the PGM300RE, however. and if i'm correct, we will soon have all the high-end guitars fitted with OE and LP. that would be a great move. keep on, Ibanez!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 04:47 AM
Vendor

I complain about it for very valid reasons, and there is definitely a bug in the ZPS.

Otherwise, I seriously doubt you'll see a mass return of the Lo Pro to replace it, or anything to replace it anytime soon.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Otherwise, I seriously doubt you'll see a mass return of the Lo Pro to replace it, or anything to replace it anytime soon.
please don't wake me up
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 AM

its ok to replace the edge pro when all high and low end rg and pretige are equipped with lo pro or the original edge, isnt amazing?!?!(Just dreaming....hihihihihi)
even the edge pro feels stiff i would prefer to use it than using a tremolo that doesnt take a minute to stay in tune..this is just my opinion though..well i just missed my 550 in the 90s and it was a kicker..

i think ibanez will do great if they get rid off those edge 3 trems..
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:06 PM

What some will do to avoid licensing payments.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 PM

I prefer the original Edge and Lo-Pro Edge trems myself. They just work, feel great and JUST WORK.

Oh, and hello to all the new people and hello to all the "old folks" that remember me from years ago. I've had a rough time but I'm back on my feet and feeling good, and playing my heart out again, so... I'm back! :-)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:32 PM

What?! Ah that blows.

Also, hey Jack Secret! Never thought I'd see another Chesapeakian on here!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 03:18 AM

I just this noticed on ibanez.com European sites. All 2010 JEMs listed have Edge tremolos and the UV777 comes with Lo-Pro Edge. I don't get it. American and Japanese sites still show Edge Pros. I guess Mr. Vai is avoiding the Edge Zero, no matter what.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
What some will do to avoid licensing payments.
License payments have run out for floyd style bridges.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 02:38 AM

Reviews: 4

There are three guitars I want to buy from Ibanez right now...all of them have the Edge Zero. Therefore, I will never buy any of them. I don't like the way they feel or play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousef View Post
License payments have run out for floyd style bridges.
That doesn't make any sense because they wouldn't come use the original Edge, if that were the case. They are putting them BACK in...and it's a trem entirely based on the OFR...just way better. haha
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG550metal View Post
That doesn't make any sense because they wouldn't come use the original Edge, if that were the case. They are putting them BACK in...and it's a trem entirely based on the OFR...just way better. haha
How doesnt it make sense? The FR Patents expired a while ago, which is why the 770DX reissues and the PGM300RE dont have the 'Licensed under Floyd Rose Patents' stamp on the bridge. Why wouldnt they use the Edge?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 10:31 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlephil View Post
How doesnt it make sense? The FR Patents expired a while ago, which is why the 770DX reissues and the PGM300RE dont have the 'Licensed under Floyd Rose Patents' stamp on the bridge. Why wouldnt they use the Edge?
Well I misunderstood your post and the one you replied to. I don't believe the departure of the Edge Pro had anything to do with the licensing patents, but I could be wrong.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 11:03 AM

Either way, you gotta question Ibanez's sanity in this move. People already are avoiding buying new Ibanez RG's because of the newer trems. Even if they have to pay a few bucks in licensing agreements, it's a small price to pay to manufacture guitars people actually want to buy.

Between the prices of the new Prestige models and the goofy trems, I have no desire whatsoever to buy any of them. Hell, I don't even like the neck profiles and widths of the new RG Prestiges. Give me a good ol' Original Wizard neck with a good ol' Original Edge. My favorites are the 98-02 guitars with the bubinga striped Original Wizard necks.

Tags
edge , edge pro , ibanez , jem , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode