Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  stratoskier 
#1 ·
I am looking for a rg model without a floyd but with a trem like the 170 model. Anyone know of a decent rgs that don’t have floyds. I am looking for something like one of the pmgs

#5 ·
The higher spec RGs have always had Edge family or fixed Gotoh style bridges. There was a Japanese run or RG621's with a wilkinson bridge in about 96 but these are rare as hens' teeth.

I too would look out for an RT model, preferably an RT 650. These were released in 92 or so and featured Alder RG bodies with Vintage style trems.

The R series guitar was available with a vintage style trem in 1993, the R355 had an R style body with a vintage trem

The SV series of that time took the S style body and had vintage trems and locking tuners.

Alternatively look to brands such as Anderson, Grosh, or Suhr for a Super Strat with more Strat ;)

#6 ·
I'll second (or third?) the vote for the RT series. I have both an RT650 and an RT450 and they're both fine guitars. Viper necks feel great to me. The only disadvantage is the lack of the AANJ. As Jono said, other good choices are the RV470 or SV470 which both had TZ tremelos, AANJ neck joints, HSH pickups, and Viper necks. The SV is mahogany and the RV is alder (with a gravure top). But both of those have 22-fret necks and since you mentioned RG's maybe you're after 24-fretters. I was really hot for vintage-trem Ibanez awhile back and I picked up pretty much all of them. The ones mentioned above were among the best I found. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.