Non-locking trems/guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Non-locking trems/guitars

I've been on the lookout for a new guitar (lefty) with a non-locking trem for a while now. I was wondering what you guys could recommend me. The guitar should have quilted top (color : green) and gold hardware with a floating trem (non-locking as mentioned above).

The closest I got so far was a Brian Moore but I don't know how good the Wilkinson trem is. Any suggestions comments are welcome .

Regards

André

PS. I had my eye set on a Vigier Excalibur because I Christophe Godin at the Musik Messe in Frankfurt this year and last. He had a non-locking trem in his Vigier and did pullups, flutter and everything and the thing stayed in tune just like a Floyd. But sadly Vigier do lefties of their Excalibur .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 08:14 AM

Re: Non-locking trems/guitars

The Wilkinson trem is one of the best non-locking trems made. If the Brian Moore has everything you want, then I say go for it!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 08:20 AM

If it's in your budget check out G&L. They make lefties for no extra charge. Leo Fender's fulcrum trem is on eof my favorites. The studs are huge, it has good mass, and still feels as fluid as any FR/Wilkinson. You can get whatever pickups, etc. They do fantastic figured tops, and are now doing strats with no pickguard, and soloist styles. The Brian Moore will be made in China or Korea for the same price as a US made G&L, if that sort of thing matters to you. The US Brian Moore will be twice the price of any G&L without any discernable improvement in build quality.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
If it's in your budget check out G&L. They make lefties for no extra charge. Leo Fender's fulcrum trem is on eof my favorites. The studs are huge, it has good mass, and still feels as fluid as any FR/Wilkinson. You can get whatever pickups, etc. They do fantastic figured tops, and are now doing strats with no pickguard, and soloist styles. The Brian Moore will be made in China or Korea for the same price as a US made G&L, if that sort of thing matters to you. The US Brian Moore will be twice the price of any G&L without any discernable improvement in build quality.
How do you tell on a Brian Moore guitar if it's from China, Korea or USA? I looked at G&L but I am not fond of the their headstock.

Regards

André

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:04 PM

Reviews: 6

It's funny I just saw a guy playing the Brian Moore you described. He did fine with the wilkinson.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:41 PM

I've heard that before about their headstock, and I can't understand it. But everyone has a different set of priorities I guess. Personally I'd take a G&L if it had a headstock shaped like a duck! I don't really like the BM headstock myself.

As for deciphering the country of origin, that's tough to say. You'd have to either ask someone in the know, or e-mail Brian Moore directly. That'd be a fun e-mail to write
"I need to know which one of your guitars is made where, because I'm interested in one, and I don't want to be fooled by your marketing team."
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
You'd have to either ask someone in the know, or e-mail Brian Moore directly. That'd be a fun e-mail to write
"I need to know which one of your guitars is made where, because I'm interested in one, and I don't want to be fooled by your marketing team."
Maybe I just copy & paste this and send it to BM .

Regards

André

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 02:18 PM

The i2000 series is made in Korea I think, while the i1000 series is made in China (?).

Basically models like i1, i2, i8, i9 are Korea, i11, i21, i81 would then be China, and models called C MC, DC etc would be USA made, I think (but you can tell it by price anyway)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

That's what I thought .

Regards

André

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

I just looked on carvin's webpage they have this nice Contour 66 I think it was called with alot of good option (active electronics etc.). My question is now is their custom shop to all in the world or can only us/canada residents order those?

Anybody ever buy one of these? Which one of their pickups is good/bad and so on.

Regards

André

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

I just e-mailed them and got an answer 15 minutes later (thumbs up). I would have to order it from the distributor here in Germany. So I went over to their webpage and saw their prices. Result would be I would end up paying twice the price for the guitar from the distributor. No Thank You .

Regards

André

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 11:39 AM

If you wanted a Carvin custom shop guitar you could likely find someone in the States to have it shipped to, who could forward it for you. Especially if it saved you a lot of cash. One of your fellow Jemsiters would step up.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy Brian Moore guitars online cheap of course .

Regards

André

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

I just contacted the BM distributor here in Germany and they sent my quote to BM directly. Got an e-mail from them this morning, sent them the specs right away. So far the distributor has quoted me and price 3500 € and it would take 4 to 5 months to build. The high price has turned me a bit down. I hope I can knock the price a bit down (2500 € or less ).

Regards

André

Last edited by fettouhi; 06-05-2005 at 07:11 AM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Got the final price from Thomann a few days 3300 € and no chance for discount or anything . So Carvin seem like the right choice. I don't want to order it from the distributor (prices end up the same as with BM). Can someone here in the US/Canada help me out with (I will of course compentsate for their trouble) ordering a custom lefty Carvin from the webpage.

Regards

André

Tags
brian moore , custom shop , custom shop guitar , headstock shape , leo fender , locking trems , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode