Noob question : 7 string / extended scale neck - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 20
Noob question : 7 string / extended scale neck

Hi guys, I'm normally a 6 string player, but since I got into my new metalcore band, i found myself keep retuning between normal and drop C when practicing at home (my other band is alternative rock). I'm thinking I should just get another guitar for heavier kind of music. The ones that got my attention right now is the ibanez rgd7, schecter loomis, and schecter blackjack atx - c7.
Now i got some question:

1. If I tune to drop c tuning, Do you think It is more practical to get a 7 string or 6 string with extended scale instead? If 7 string what will the lowest string be tuned to? C ? low F? Low G?

2. Is the feel of extended scale guitar noticably different than normal scale? For example 26.5 when compared to 25.5. Can they still be used comfortably for normal tuning? Do they make the guitar tone less versatile in any way?

3. How does the schecter build quality compares to ibanez prestige? Their guitars looks great IMO. Any suggestion to any other heavy style guitar? My budget is around 1200-ish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Noob question : 7 string / extended scale neck

For 1200, you can get a pretty good seven string. i'm builing my own pretty soon, but buyer wise, i'd go with an ibanez.

In standard tuning, the seventh string is tuned to a B. i personally don't drop the tunings on any sevens i own/play, but that's more of a preference if anything.

As for a longer scale, you have more range than the usual scale, but like the drop tunings, it's a preference. try out a few guitars with different scales to see which is your favorite.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 11:21 AM

tommy, when he says longer scale he means the length of the neck.

Scale affects things pretty heavily. Personally, I would never tune to B on a 25.5 scale. It sounds muddy and weedy when it should sound tight and snappy. you might get away with C, but frankly, extended scale is where I'm going for my next possible guitar, I'm not happy with my 7 string's low B sound at all.

The tension will of course be more, it will feel like playing 11's when you have 10's on the guitar, but thats a simple matter of manning up and showing the strings who's boss :P
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 03:38 PM

.6 is good for A on 25.5 scale. if you need definitive answer just try to see what pros play and that's it. for that cash you can score some of the Ibanez extended scale 7 strings.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 03:42 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafigator View Post
.6 is good for A on 25.5 scale. if you need definitive answer just try to see what pros play and that's it. for that cash you can score some of the Ibanez extended scale 7 strings.
You should try my .70

And if you're just tuning to drop C, get an extended 6 string. Because if you got a 7 string, you'd be tuning the guitar UP above standard tuning. So get the RGD2120Z. They usually go for around $1200. sometimes less.

And a high quality Schecter is still nothing compared to an Ibanez prestige.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafigator View Post
my .66 low B that doesn't have any snap, begs to disagree with you.

Then again, I play 11's in standard, so I'm guessing I'm a guage above most players. (can't go back to ten these days, feels like noodles)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 04:26 AM

.6 will be buzzing a bit at A, i am just saying that i don't like the tone that comes out when 7th string is even bigger... that's all
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:04 AM

I have the RGD 2127z which has the 26.5 scale. Me personally find that the 26.5 scale is perfect for the low b or drop a string for the simple fact that the fret spacing is slightly wider than the 25.5 and the thicker strings don't sound as muddy on the higher fret regions. And the.extended scale as a little more tention to the strings. I use standard 7 string tuning (B to b) with .9's what the extened scale does for that is it adds a little more tension to my low b to where it's not to flabby and bouncing off the other frets when hitting the lower fretted notes but, still has that nice rounded out bass note ring out that's not too snappy either. After playing my RGD 2127z I don't think I'll ever go back to the 25.5 scale.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 04:09 PM

One of the reasons that I have put an order in for a custom RG-style 27" scale guitar is because of GuitarBizzare's posts.

What he's written resonates with my personal experience with UV's. I just could never put my finger on why the low B didn't sound right to my ears, especially when chugging on it. Reading his posts just made things make sense

Then I found myself listening to a bit of Keith Merrow, and Ola Englund, loving their crispy-clear tone, and seeing that their Solar 7 custom guitars are all 27" scale.

I'm just hoping the adjustment period isn't too long, and that my fingers are as long as I think they are (lol).

Sure I should've gone out and played a 27" scale guitar first. But I'm pretty short of time these days. When I have time, the shops are closed. It's a gamble for me, but hopefully pays off. I'll post up my experience when I receive the guitar in 10-12 weeks.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 PM

Reviews: 11

For Drop C, get a 6 string. Normal scale should be fine but if you want an extended scale, it should be no problem.

I'd only get a 7 for B standard and lower. Everything else is a 6-string tuning in my opinion.

Tags
7 string extended scale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode