Noob question about Ibanez model pecking order. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Noob question about Ibanez model pecking order.

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forums and new to guitars in general. I haven't bought my first electric yet but I'm really drawn to Ibanez. So far I have the 2006 catalog, and I've looked at the 2007 online. But what I can't figure out is how the general pecking order goes with the various models. (and part of that is probably because the catalogs don't contain pricing).

Not sure if I missed an obvious FAQ somewhere, but could someone please walk me through the general history/basics of the various models? For example, how the RG series compares to the S and SA, etc.?

All I've been able to do so far is slowly "decode" which guitars appear to have better pickups, etc. than others. But I know there's gotta be more to it than that.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 07:45 PM

Re: Noob question about Ibanez model pecking order.

I'm by no means an expert, but you've probably noticed that the higher the number within a model, i.e. RG or SA, the "better" the guitar. As for what RG, SA, UV, etc, etc.

The catalog explains what body shape, neck design, wood, bridges, pickups, and so on the various model groups have.

The same page that you likely found the 2007 catalog has a separate price list PDF to download. A quick check of a few guitars available at a large, national "chain" store lists their selling price approx 25% below the "retail" price in the catalog.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Your pricelist tip was a big help. Not only does it have the pricing, it has all the specs listed together in nice columns so it makes direct comparisons easier.

Now all I have to do if find out how this pricing (assuming its US) compares to Canadian pricing. Similar to other types of products, companies' pricing doesn't always reflect currency exchange rates directly.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Dee

Maybe this will help. It's an incomplete list and probably somewhat out of date, but anyway...

RG8xxx - Japan, J custom, Dimarzio pickups, hand crafted
RG3xxx - Japan, Prestige, Dimarzio-made IBZ pickups, maple top
RG2xxx - Japan, Prestige, Dimarzio-made IBZ pickups
RG1xxx - Japan, Prestige, V-series pickups

RG7xx - Japan, Wizard neck, later models had direct-mounted pickups, early ones did not
RG6xx - Japan -- similar to the RG7xx series, but only intended for Europe
RG5xx - Japan, Wizard neck, Edge Pro
RG4xx - Japan, Wizard II neck, Edge Pro (early RG470 had Wizard neck and Edge trem, then production moved to Korea and the spec suffered)
RG3xx - Indonesia (was Korea), wizard II neck, Egde III (was Edge Pro II)
RG2xx - Indonesia (was Korea), Wizard II neck, non-locking trem
RG1xx - Indonesia (was Korea), Wizard II neck, pickguard, non-locking trem
RGx7x - H-S-H pickup configuration, direct-mounted pickups, sharktooth inlay
RGx5x - H-S-H, pickguard
RGx2x - H-H, direct-mounted pickups
RGxx7 - 7-string
RGxx1 - hardtail

EXAMPLES:

RG2550 = RG2xxx + 5xx + x5x

RG2550 = Japan, Prestige, Dimarzio-made IBZ pickups, Prestige Wizard neck, H-S-H, pickguard
RG370 = Indonesia (was Korea), Wizard II neck, H-S-H, sharktooth inlay, Edge III
RG321 = Indonesia (was Korea) , Wizard II neck, H-H, hardtail
RG1527 = Japan, prestige, V-series pickups, Wizard neck, Edge Pro, H-H, direct-mounted pickups, 7-string
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

That's great. Thanks!

Now how does the RG lineup as a whole compare with the S and SA series?

I'm kinda scoping ahead for my future first electric guitar purchase and can see guitars in my potential price range in all 3 of those series. How will I know where I should focus?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Dee

The S series has changed a lot over the last few years. They are all made outside of Japan now, as far as I know, and they are not as thin and sleek as they used to be. They used to have the Wizard neck (the thinnest) and now they have the thicker Wizard II, plus the pickups and strings are way higher off the body which changes the feel of the guitar quite a bit. Also they have the ZR trem. It's a good bridge, but very different feeling from the Edge / Edge Pro and Lo-Pro models. The newer S body is thicker, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of the guitar. I would say look for an older S model if you want one of those, they used to be amazing.

RG series is VERY different from the S series. I'm not sure about the SA, I know very little about them. RG is my "speciality", so to speak.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post

RG series is VERY different from the S series. I'm not sure about the SA, I know very little about them. RG is my "speciality", so to speak.
Not that the SA's are MY specialty, but I know they have a tapered top and a flat back, whereas the S series has tapered back AND sides. The SA strikes me as kind of a cross between an RG body shape and an S.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

If I can see myself aiming for a JS or JEM as a future goal someday, should I be bringing myself up on the RG foodchain then?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Dee

It's up to you man. You can't really go wrong with a good Japanese-built RG, but as I said, there are some great older S models out there on the used market.

Tags
body shape , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , edge trem , electric guitar , mounted pickups , prestige wizard , prestige wizard neck , sharktooth inlay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode