Is it normal to hear crackling noise from neck when diving w/trem bar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Is it normal to hear crackling noise from neck when diving w/trem bar

Im new to Ibanez gtrs, and floating bridge, ive played fender strat
for years, i want a different setup for heavy metal etc. . Local music store
is selling a used Ibanez rg220b i played it for over 30min. great guitar very versatile,
but when you dive deep w/trem bar neck makes a crackling noise it sometimes untunes not always. Plays very good despite this problem . Also the action is a little high from the 12 fret to 26 fret Is the neck may just need tightning. Is this common. He is selling for $199.00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 12:31 PM

Re: Is it normal to hear crackling noise from neck when diving w/trem bar

nope.... if you're paying $200 for an RG220 (which I've seen go for significantly less- check around), it should not be making a cracking sound! It's hard to tell what exactly is causing that sound (whether it's "amplified" when you're plugged in), but it sounds like the trem isn't exactly stable.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 02:14 PM

Its not the trem its the neck pocket, he says so in the title, and in that case it's "normal" but should be fixed. We did a long thread on this years ago you might try searching. But basically you have to make a good clean and tight fit at the neck joint. Sometimes that means removing and reinserting the screws, tightening them hard, one guy used baby powder in there to eliminate the noise (although I don't think that eliminates the movement so you'd still go out of tune) anyway, it's common but should be remedied.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:15 PM

He just says "neck". I'm wondering if maybe the sound he is hearing is misperceived as a "crack", when maybe it's a nut clamp, that's slipping, and he's hearing the wound string slipping by. It WOULD account for tuning issues. Just a stab. I'm not saying it ISN'T the neck joint. I'm just looking at all possibilities.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 11:00 PM

I've never heard such a noise on any of the Ibanez guitars I've played with trems. The only thing that I could even think of off hand that makes any sort of sound is when the pickups catch the strings. That does make a kind of clicking sound, but that's normal.

Honestly, I wouldn't even buy the guitar because it's not going to be worth it in the long run. You're obviously wanted to doing some serious trem work on a guitar with a not so good trem. And a RG220 USED for $199 is a total ripoff. I wouldn't pay more than a hundred bucks for it. You can get an RG3xx guitar used for that much and it will be a little better quality.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 01:18 AM

Hmmm.... I have such crackling sounds, but in the form of static from the amp when I play with the trem on my S520EX.

I guess thats a grounding of electronics issue for me?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredcows
Hmmm.... I have such crackling sounds, but in the form of static from the amp when I play with the trem on my S520EX.

I guess thats a grounding of electronics issue for me?
Check the grounding wire that's soldered to the trem claw... or even the springs themselves. Maybe when you bend, the trem is pulling on the claw in such a way that's messing with the connection, or that the springs aren't articulating with the trem that well.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 08:15 AM

I had a similar problem on an RG370DX. It turned out to be the 2 allen bolts that secure the nut to the neck were a bit loose. Tighen them up a little - not too much though
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 08:41 AM

If youre gonna get an Ibanez, make sure its japanese made... youre gonna spend a lil more than $200, but if you keep your eyes open its not gonna be that much more...

Going japanese (RG 5xx and up) will save you lots of headaches and money later on...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:50 AM

Not entirely true. I recently bought an new Ibanez RG220, with the Edge III trem, and it is one of the nicest playing guitars I have owned, and I have owned over 40-50 different guitars in my 25 years of playing: Gibsons, Fender, Jacksons, Charvels, BC Rich, Ibanez, etc. I've played Squiers that were a dream, and Gibsons that played like ass. The RG220 cost me $235, out the door, and I haven't had any quality issues with it at all. The playablility is terrific, and the tuning on the Edge III has been rock solid, despite what the naysayers may tell you.
When it comes doen to it, don't rely soley on where a guitar is built or what someone might tell you about a type of guitar. Check it out for yourself, and see what YOU think. You MAY just be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by Racerx2k; 02-05-2006 at 03:16 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 12:36 PM

you know what It's got to be the neck joint Im havign that problem with my RG right now hahaha..........dive with the trem and you hear the crack sound come from the neck..I practice alot with out my amp and yeah it is the neck....and I was think of just un screwing them and just screw them back tightly....
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 12:49 PM

Check the locking nut.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:18 PM

I have an RG350 and it used to crack and it turned out to be the springs in the back of the trem. Kinda sounded like wood through the amp but unplugged i could hear the metal. So it may not be the neck at all it may be the springs are not adjusted right. Joshua
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigugly
I have an RG350 and it used to crack and it turned out to be the springs in the back of the trem. Kinda sounded like wood through the amp but unplugged i could hear the metal. So it may not be the neck at all it may be the springs are not adjusted right. Joshua

How'd that happen? were the springs just creaking?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 03:53 PM

Yeah. I simply lossened the screws a turn or two and it magically stopped. But as i say all you hear through the amp is creaking so it is hard to tell where it is from.

Tags
edge iii trem , fender strat , heavy metal , ibanez guitars , local music store , locking nut , music store , neck joint , playing guitar , trem claw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode