Norton in RG... thin? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 9
Norton in RG... thin?

I have a 25th Anniversay RG and love the feel. The IBZ'z were decent but I wanted to try something different, so I purchased a yellow Norton for the bridge. There are a lot of things I like about it. The basic tone is great, output is good, excellent harmonics, articulate but the distortion sounds seem a bit thin to me and I can't really seem to get a good saturated crunch. I play a lot of EVH and 80's metal. Based on others advise I thought the Norton was the ticket.

I am playing through a Blackstar ht5 and also an Eleven Rack. I can get a thicker crunchy sound with the 11r but I need to get the same/similar sound on the Blackstar.

I mostly play mahogany guitars, LP's and Ibanez Sabers. Is it just the difference of the basswood RG? I will probably ask aroung on the SD forum but you guys are the experts on Ibanez and DImarzio so what say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 12:35 PM

Re: Norton in RG... thin?

For what it's worth, I bought a 25th Anny S. I wrote to DiMarzio directly to ask which pups they recommend. A very helpful person wrote back the same day! Advising me to put an Air Norton in the neck and an Evo in the bridge. The Air Norton in the neck gives me that "bassier" blues/jazz tone, while the Evo bridge is for pure screaming shred.

You may want to see what the norton in the neck position does for you and/or write to DiMarzio and ask their advice. Hope this helped.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Based on your music tastes, same as mine--I recommend a Super Distortion bridge/ PAF Pro neck.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I may go that way, but typically I prefer Alnico II pickups, then Alnico 5, and usually do not like ceramics. Then again, this is a different guitar. I have a black EVO to try.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 06:48 PM

Reviews: 120

I love how people always say that they like, or don't like some magnets. Magnets are only a very small part of a pickup's tone. Don't base your preference on magnets, look at the whole package.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

I do, and have tried many pickup with various magnets including A8's, A4's and A3's. Problem is I always love A2's. My absolute favorite pickups are the Gibson Classic 57 and the SD Alnico II Pros. I also like SD PG's (A2), SD JB (A5), and SD Prails (A5). Although I have had some decent experience with some ceramics, I usually remove them for something else. I tend to prefer the loose bottom end that A2's provide, but I do have some guitars with tighter pickups to provide certain needs.

I could also say I am more of an SD fan then a Dimarzio fan, but I know that is just becuase I have limited experiance with Dimarzio. I do like the Norton, I just want it to be thicker in this guitar. Problem maybe my love for LP's and the thick tone they provide. I have been playing them for years and never really found much else I really liked, other than the Peavey Wolfgang (not so much the sound, but the feel). Then I bought an Ibanez S series and really loved the feel of the neck. It was really hard to get used to the Sabers tone until I stuck an SD Custom Custom in it.. Now I have a Saber with A SD Custom Custom, another with a EVO, and another with a F2. They all sound great, evo is my least favorite, but still great.

That being said I have always wanted to try the Super Distortion since the first time I heard Ace. Just haven't done so.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Reviews: 2

I have the air norton in the neck position of my two RG1420F's. I LOVE it....glassy yet sustaining, and just sings for leads with a hint of a single coil twang to it. Never tried it in the bridge position , though. I put a tone zone in the bridge of each of these guitars. Very happy with that, also.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Reviews: 120

A Super Distortion is pretty fat sounding. If you like the Norton, other than it sounding a bit thin, maybe replace the volume control with a 300K or 250K if the 300K doesn't do it for you.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 PM

The Super Distortion, PAF Pro a timeless combo. I have run this combo in just about every guitar. Some don't like the edge that Dimarzio pickup have, I love it.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave67 View Post
The Super Distortion, PAF Pro a timeless combo. I have run this combo in just about every guitar. Some don't like the edge that Dimarzio pickup have, I love it.
Yes! It's my current favorite combo, and they're in a few of my RGs.
I also love the new Dominion.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 AM

Reviews: 25

The nortons arnt great for crunch.... Go the Crunch labs !!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 AM

Reviews: 18

I'm surprised you didn't get a Seymour Duncan '78:

There is no "EVH" pickup. There is, however, a custom shop pickup called the 78 Model, which some people abbreviate as "E.V.H.," because it offers evenly-voiced harmonics. The 78 Model pickup is a faithful recreation of the legendary low-output, Alnico 2, P.A.F.-style humbucker that Seymour designed in 1978 for various high-profile artists he was working with at the time. This pickup should not be associated with any specific artist. The traditional 78 Model comes with single conductor braided shield cable and a bottom plate with long mounting legs. However, since it's built-to-order, it can also be ordered in Trembucker spacing with four conductor cable and short legs. Either way, it's available with double-black, white or zebra (black and cream) bobbins. The D.C. Resistance is 8.75k.
The price is $160 direct from the Custom Shop 805-964-9610, 8am-5pm (Pacific) Monday - Friday.

Jimmy
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

I have a '78. I am looking for Dimarzio's for this guitar, just they way it is, i need the right color.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 06:28 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
I'm surprised you didn't get a Seymour Duncan '78:

There is no "EVH" pickup. There is, however, a custom shop pickup called the 78 Model, which some people abbreviate as "E.V.H.," because it offers evenly-voiced harmonics. The 78 Model pickup is a faithful recreation of the legendary low-output, Alnico 2, P.A.F.-style humbucker that Seymour designed in 1978 for various high-profile artists he was working with at the time. This pickup should not be associated with any specific artist. The traditional 78 Model comes with single conductor braided shield cable and a bottom plate with long mounting legs. However, since it's built-to-order, it can also be ordered in Trembucker spacing with four conductor cable and short legs. Either way, it's available with double-black, white or zebra (black and cream) bobbins. The D.C. Resistance is 8.75k.
The price is $160 direct from the Custom Shop 805-964-9610, 8am-5pm (Pacific) Monday - Friday.

Jimmy
I beg to differ. There is the EVH Frankenstein pickup which is part of Eddie's EVH product line that Fender makes.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 06:43 PM

go with the bat...paf pro neck..super distrortion bridge..timeless ..just my opinion

Tags
norton rg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode