Not digging the RG tone - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Not digging the RG tone

Hello fellow Iban-ites,
I've now had some time with my new RG350 and I have to say, I absolutely love the feel of this guitar. I bought the RG for the locking trem and fell in lust. The maple Wizard neck and fretboard are like butter!!!
My problem with the guitar is the tone. I'm so pleased with the feel and playability that I'm going the work on the tone. I'm used to my fixed bridge SG w/an old (Real Deal) Bill Lawrence L-500 in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck and my Strat w/ it's weak ass pups. With my rig and these two guitars I can get the heaviest of metal and sweetest of cleans.
The RG350 has a locking tremolo and the INF pups (as you all know.) I've adjusted the INF's and the bridge pup is do-able but the other two sound like garbage to my ears.
The other thing that I don't like is the pup selector options. I want to have access to both humbuckers at the same time or a humbucker and the single coil.
  • So here's what I want to try:
    1) install a push-pull pot and wire it as follows:
    A) Down= bridge, bridge-middle, bridge-middle-neck, middle-neck
    B) Up= tapped bridge, tapped bridge-middle, middle, middle-tapped neck, tapped neck.
    2) install a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Trembucker in the neck pos.
    3) if this doesn't warm up the tone I'll replace the middle w/ something a more vintage tone to it.
    4) finally if the above isn't working for me I'll put a Wylde Usa L-500 in the bridge.
If any one has experience with a similar setup or these pups in an RG or just good old fashion advice, please share your wisdom.
Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:21 PM

Re: Not digging the RG tone

Maybe a stupid question of mine, but I'll ask it anyway:
Do you use the tone knob???

When I got my RG 350 MYE it was my first Ibanez after many years of playing Fender Strats ONLY!

Basswood + Maple neck + INF pups = less warmth but a more "woody" bright tone.

Actually the INF don't sound bad (a matter of taste of course!).
I have a Vox Night Train amp which has a very clear/bright sound, perfect for Strats with tone at around 5 or 6.

I use the same amp setting for all my guitars (Treble at 0.5, mids at 0.5, bass at around 3 to 4), bright/fat switch on bright. I only use fat for high gain sounds when not using my GT 10.

I noticed that I have to turn down the tone knob to around 2 with both my RG and my JEM BFP. With that tone setting I get a nice slightly aggressive tone on the bridge and a beautyful singing warm tone on the neck pickup.

I don't know how long you have been playing but in my case (I'm a selftought player, no lessons whatsoever!!) there was just one setting during my beginner years: Volume and Tone fully open!
It took me quite a while to learn to actually USE volume and tone to shape the sound of my guitars.

Played over a tube amp the INFs don't sound bad at all. Even chords are given out pretty well defined (for pickups in this quality level). Maybe you might wanna experiment with different volume and tone settings before buying new PUs. (same with the amp! Some guitars just need an entirely different amp setting than the guitars you're used to).

I'm not saying "don't switch to other PUs", just try other possibilities first.

As far as your wiring is concerned: I see no probs to realize that wiring including adding a push/pull pot. I don't have a diagram for you though.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:35 PM

I have a 350dx. First thing I did thew improve the tone was bin those INF's. Had some Evos for a while which just sound amazing. Currently trying out some Entwistle Nemesis pickups in it and they're awesome, and a good budget price too.

If you want another good upgrade, this:
http://www.floydupgrades.com/catalog...roducts_id=254

The stock Edge 3 block is a piece of crap. It may as well be made of candy floss.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

@ Jemanized, thanks for the response. I've been playing 20+ years. Just new to the world of Ibanez. I use the full range of the tone knob from 1-10. It just depends on what I'm playing. I'm a very percussive player. One thing I love about my SG is that I have a volume, a tone, and a three way switch. The switch stays in the middle position 95% of the time. I just roll off the volume and adjust the tone knob a bit and I can get almost all of the sounds I want. I think I'm gonna try the push-pull pot first and see if I can find the tone I'm lookin for, then maybe have a cap put on the neck pup to tame it down a bit.
@ Mark, thanks for the responseI've heard good things about the Evo's. Someone also suggested the DiMarzzio Liquifire DP227 for the neck. I just don't have experience with DiMarzio pups. What are the Entwistle's comparable to?
Does the block really make that much difference? I'm also a newb when it comes to locking trems.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:39 PM

Reviews: 11

What music style are you playing?
What tuning?
What sound are you going for?
What gauge strings?

These are all things we need to know so that we can help you
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response D.M.!
  • Strings= SIT Power Wound Lights 10-46 (thinking about trying the SIT Power Wound Heavy Bottoms.)
    Tuning= down 1/2 step (sometimes dropping low d# to c#)
    Music= from blues to heavy alt. rock (SRV, old Soundgarden, Tool, The James Gang, The Foo Fighters, Raconteurs, QOTSA, The Dead Exes, Black Country Communion/ Bonamassa, Slash) Lotta fixed bridge players there I know...lol.
    Sound= I love a warm low end w/o being too mushy, but not boomy either. Mid range presence and articulation w/o being honky, and I like the high end to be bell-like (Strat-ty) but not too harsh.
I hope I'm not being too particular. I just know that I have found a great feeling guitar, and I want it to sound equally incredible. You guys know these instruments and I want to use your experience to my benefit.
Thanks again!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:13 PM

Sounds like a Tone Zone, True velvet, Air norton combo will be great for you! Very warm combo but very versatile and can get really any tone.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks D.M.!!! I'll do some investigating.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:02 PM

Smile Re: Not digging the RG tone

+1 on the big block replacement on the EDGEIII trem. did that on mine, on its a big improvement, I did the same thing on my Jem guitar with an Edge Trem. WOW!!

Pascal
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:37 PM

Hi there,

I know this topic is a bit old but I was kind intrigued by the big block replacement... and I have the same series guitar so it seems fitting to post in this topic.

I have an RG350EX that sounds kind of boomy or mushy when I play the low E string while palm muting (you know just chugging away).

The other strings don't have that problem (or maybe just not enough to bother me) - and it seems to only be a problem when the low E string is open and some on the first two frets (F and F#)

It also does this acoustically (without amp) and I can feel that the Edge III is kind of resonating along with the low E thus aiding the low E "ring" longer (just touch the Edge III with the other hand).

Will a big block replacement help with this problem or is it just the build of the guitar that is too poor?

Before anyone tells me to learn how to play guitar I wanna add that I've played for 34 years now and it's the only guitar ever that I've owned that has this problem (perhaps I had the same problem in the early years but I'm quite sure that the problem back then was myself ).

Positive regards,
Dennis
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 04:48 PM

I bet the Big block will help a lot! But it could just be a very resonant guitar. I'd keep it the way it is if I were you

But I'm a Death Metal player so I'm sure we have very different concepts of "good tone".

Tags
bill lawrence , l-500 , pickups , seymour duncan , tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode