This is not a US model because? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

This is not a US model because?

I saw this on a local craigs list ad and had to share. This is one of the best looking Ibanez's I've ever seen and it's disappointing that it's not availabe in the US. If I had the money, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/2273683851.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 03:55 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: This is not a US model because?

J-Customs are now available in the US. I know we can get the RG's, but I'm not sure about the FR's. I'd call Rich at www.Ibanezrules.com to see if they can be special ordered.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

What I'm really wondering is why Ibanez doesn't offer this model as an off the shelf at a $799 ish price point to compete with Gibson and Fender. It has the classic looks, I'm sure it sounds amazing, and is easier to play than either of those.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 07:55 PM

Reviews: 21

This will never be sold for as little as $800. Maybe a similar Prestige maybe but never a J Custom.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
This will never be sold for as little as $800. Maybe a similar Prestige maybe but never a J Custom.
Exactly. In fact, the price this one's being sold for I would consider relatively cheap.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Sorry let me clarify. I think Ibanez is blowing it by not offering some quality mid level guitars. Their stuff seems to be either really pricey or in need of mods to make it a good player (RG5EX1 for example). I think that's why a lot of us go after the older MIJ stuff.

I know that exact model will not be offered at a $799 price point, but there is no reason why they cannot make a MIJ version with a basswood body and a fotoflame top to compete with Gibson and Fender.

I love Ibanez, but in my opinion they have cluttered their line with a lot of crap and need to go back to how they once were. 5's and up MIJ and 4's and down are the budget MII. Offer some affordable MIJ RGR's and hardtails.

Yes, I agree that guy is selling that guitar for a great price and I really wish I was making an NGD thread instead of ranting.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 10:32 PM

Reviews: 120

Haven't you seen the regular Prestige FRs? They are made at a price point that competes with the regular Gibsons and US Fenders.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Just checked it out and thank you for bringing it to my attention, but it goes for $1299, which re-enforces what I'm saying; Ibanez goes from meh (low end) to wow (high end) with nothing in between that stands out or maybe I'm just not seeing it, because the shops around here focus on LTD, Fender, Schecter, and Gibson.

Here is an example of what I think they need to do to increase their sales and market share;

RG5EX1 - MIJ, Edge Pro, Same electronics, offer a hardtail model (no flats - colors/foto flames please) and re-badge it.

RG4EX1 - MII Edge III, Same electronics, offer a hardtail model, re-badge it

Dump all of the weird RG models and reintroduce RG3xx, RG4xx, RG5xx, etc. Keep designations such as RGR, H (hardtail), F (flame top), etc. For example instead of RG5EX1 it will become RGR570 and the RG4EX1 would become RGR420HF (yes I am aware these models are made for GC and that could stay the same).

I don't get why they offer a RG5EX1, 4EX1, 3EX1 when all 3 are similar. That is what I mean by cluttering things up.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Another thought, take the FR put a 22 fret neck with a 3x3 style headstock, ditch the pickguard, archtop body, direct mount pickups, 3 way switch in the upper north part of the body, Floyd Rose with a D-Tuna, EVH profiled neck, and EVH may have been an Ibanez player.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 01:11 AM

Ibanez do have a middle ground guitar range now, the Premium. Made to Prestige standards in Indonesia. Only RGs in the guitar range for now. I'm sure if they are successful they will branch out to other models too.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Checked them out and not into them. I don't like the dots, I haven't heard great things about that trem, the premium on the headstock looks like crap, and they are made in Indonesia.

Ibanez just seems like they are always trying to reinvent the wheel and don't seem to be listening to customers. Take a company like Fender and Gibson. They are known for Srats/Teles and Les Pauls. I have never seen them try and stray from these models, but they have made made them with different levels of quality (i.e. Squier, MIM, MIA).

What people love about Ibanez is there necks and trems and the body styles that seem to be most loved are RG and Saber, but Ibanez doesn't seem to get this and instead of refining them (i.e. harder wood strips to reinforce neck) they change shapes, alter trems, and QC seems to have gone down. Hence they have lost a lot of credibilty amongst players, which is why Schecter and LTD have taken over.

I keep on hammering this, but that "Premium" line once again adds more clutter. Stick with the RGxxx formula and again I point to Fender/Gibson as an example; Stratocaster, Telecaster, and Les Paul. Name recognition (marketing 101). The fact that you guys keep pointing models out to me pretty much backs up what I'm saying. People don't want to dig, but for now I guess I will have to keep digging through the used sections to find the old stuff.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 01:57 AM

Reviews: 11

gibson and fender dont overprice?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...-Flying-V.aspx

http://www.fender.com/products/roadw...?prodNo=013101

thats all i have to say about that.

but does ibanez overprice? YES!!! but nowhere near as bad as them. fender isnt horrible about it, but $1200 for a guitar that actually costs $200 less because it looks like its been dropped down the stairs? no thanks!!!

and whats the diference between that flying V and any other? not very much.......

oh, and the fender EVH replica. $25000?!?!?!?!?! now thats a ripoff
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

I completely agree with Fender and Gibson being way overpriced, but that's what good branding and consistency does for you. I was looking at a MIM strat today with a price tag of $500. No way would I touch that. I think I only paid $400 for my US Strat and don't have interest in another, which is why I hunted for a 430S II. I love the way Ibanez's feel.

The point I'm trying to make at this point in the thread is Ibanez keeps cluttering things up with all these different models year after year, which confuses everyone when they can just stick with what worked for them in the past RGXXX. None of this Gio, Premium, or Prestige crap or RGxEX1 and whatever other weird combos they have. They also seem not to be keeping a good eye on the used market or they would know that we want MIJ RG5xx's and Sabers with Edge trems (personally I like the profile of the EDGE III/Pro) and again that is what they are known for, but they seem to ignore that.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 04:13 AM

And where did yOu hear that the Edge Zero 2 wasnt any good? All the reports so far say it's a great trem.

And so what if it's made in Indonesia? They've improved by leaps and bounds the last few years, and are really top notch quality now. Don't knock a guitar based on it's place of origin, it's just silly.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

I maybe wrong on the trem and getting it confused with another, so I retract that comment.

I have an RG5EX1 and the build quality on mine is pretty good, but I have read a lot of people having things misaligned on the various other models, but maybe this is just internet foder. One thing I definitely can't stand is the Edge III trem, which will be replaced shortly with an Edge Pro.

I stand by my other comments though and if the new stuff was just as good or better the MIJ's would not be so sought after.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode