Now is a good time to buy an 8-string guitar... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Now is a good time to buy an 8-string guitar...

I do not think it is a stretch to say 8-string guitars are not quite as popular as they were a few years ago. For whatever reason, people stopped buying them, but they stopped buying them when the quality of these guitars peaked and prices were more than reasonable. That rarely happens. Ibanez Prestige 8-strings continually got better as did most Jackson USA 8-strings. If you want to swap the pickups, you have more options than ever before and you can even buy packs of strings with gauges that make sense and sound good. It only took 9 years for companies to get the strings right!

So, if you have ever had a remote interest in trying an 8-string guitar, you have the cream of the crop in terms of guitars to choose from, more pickups that you would ever want to read about to choose from, and D'Addario NXYL 9-80's to choose from. Things were not always like this, so the current market has created a unique opportunity if you are interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Now is a good time to buy an 8-string guitar...

Do you have sales figures on 8 strings? Do they even get published? It'd be nice to see if your assumption is correct or if it is just that, an assumption.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Do you have sales figures on 8 strings? Do they even get published? It'd be nice to see if your assumption is correct or if it is just that, an assumption.
I do not. However, when I hear things like “I need to mark those down...again” from the person responsible for them, I’ll admit I am making an assumption. Also, recent Jemsite threads talk about 8 strings from which assumptions can be drawn.

They will cost money but on Reverb there is a used RG2228GK with some paint chips for under $600. I received my RG2228GK in a trade the year after they were released. If I recall correctly, they were not cheap at that time. (200 I am not sure what qualifies as NOS or if it matters but dealers love to get rid of stuff that sits, especially for years on end.
As for pickups, I put EMG 808x’s in my guitar because I took a chance. The other pickups available were EMG 808’s which were what I was replacing. There are more options now.
Strings were a problem for years and no one knows why. SSO actually helped figure out proper string tensions. We bought strings from a guy who made them in Seattle (I think) packaged as singles. D’Addario took 9 years to work out a pack that worked. Better late than never,

Now that everything is sorted out, people don’t want them quite like before. Just a PSA. If you find sales numbers, that would be interesting.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

I'm interested in sales figures to be honest, since we saw the new endorsers for the AZ signature models who I hadn't really heard of other than a few youtube vids it made me realise how much of a bubble my guitar playing and associated opinions exist in, I'm curious to know whether these bubbles we all seem to live in, start, perpetuate or simply misinform about trends and the like.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm interested in sales figures to be honest, since we saw the new endorsers for the AZ signature models who I hadn't really heard of other than a few youtube vids it made me realise how much of a bubble my guitar playing and associated opinions exist in, I'm curious to know whether these bubbles we all seem to live in, start, perpetuate or simply misinform about trends and the like.
Wise decision! Locally, the 8-strings I was using as a reference sat on the wall for 2+ years. So, I am mainly referring to NOS 8-strings. With that in mind, all stores are different, both online and "brick and mortar."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 05:01 PM

They are less popular than peak a few years ago.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
They are less popular than peak a few years ago.
Is that in relative, or absolute terms? I mean, as a percentage of what you guys sell, or as the actual numbers of 8 string guitars you sell?

What about 7 strings?

Again, I'm genuinely interested, not trying to give anyone a tough time.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 06:09 PM
Vendor

Current number Ibanez Prestige 8 string models left in production [more probable still on warehouse racks].

One.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Is that in relative, or absolute terms? I mean, as a percentage of what you guys sell, or as the actual numbers of 8 string guitars you sell?

What about 7 strings?

Again, I'm genuinely interested, not trying to give anyone a tough time.
I've noticed a lot less interest in the communities I run overall in 8s. Lower 8 string sales.

A few of my partners with access to data at a few companies said 8s are trending down too.

Not sure about 7s off hand.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

If you are interested in an 8-string guitar and you want to buy a good one, have a look at Rich's 8-strings. If you are not interested in an 8-string guitar, you are not alone. I just wanted to point out an opportunity that may not be around forever.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 07:34 AM

Which 8+ string guitar is good to buy at an affordable price.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixlikes View Post
Which 8+ string guitar is good to buy at an affordable price.
An Ibanez Prestige 8-string is a good guitar. I do not think I am going out on limb by saying most dealers would probably sell a "NOS" model for less than MAP price. That is where I would start my search.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode