NPGD: RG765 "CC" project guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

NPGD: RG765 "CC" project guitar

The P is for project!

This guitar is an assembly of parts that will eventually be a "USA Custom" in an RG765 configuration.

Body: RG760
Neck: Wizard
Trem: Edge
Bridge P/U: DiMarzio FRED
Neck P/U: IBZUSA C2
Hardware color: Cosmo
Knobs/switch tip: Ibanez painted/white base

This guitar is one of two parts guitars in my collection. I bought the body from someone here. The center pickup will be filled to complete the 765 conversion (which is good, because I think I need that Blue Velvet for something ). The neck came from a '90 USA Custom and I just had the frets crowned and leveled, so they're awesome now.

The rest of the theme sort of came together based on some parts I had. The yellow knobs came from Rich and the pink switch tip I robbed from an old DY Jem I had. They were supposed to go to a VLNG project I wanted to do, but that project never materialized and I sold that guitar. The pink FRED came from a different Jem I bought and so I just got a pink single coil cover for a C2 I had.

I decided to do the guitar as a tribute to my dream guitar from age 12:

Obviously C.C. Deville sucks but at age 12, I thought he was amazing and that's what actually inspired me to play guitar. I had a similar picture on my wall when I was a kid, except the guitar had pink pickups, a rosewood neck with B.C. Rich lightning bolt inlays and a solid pink reverse headstock. You can see that repeatedly in the "Your Momma Don't Dance" video:

http://youtu.be/aB5JRS6JOck

He also uses a DY Jem if you look closely. But the weird thing is that the graphic is identical on the two guitars, so it might just be different pickups and a different neck. Anyway, the rosewood neck version is what I'm basing the tribute on obviously.

I've already identified an artist to do the work and I have that picture above as an 8x10, so she should be able to easily replicate it. I think I'm going to ask the the yellow and pink be closer to DY and SK than the original.

So what do you think? Am I ruining this guitar by paying tribute to C.C. Deville? LOL

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 09:52 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: NPGD: RG765 "CC" project guitar

That's one sexy RG760! Can't wait to see the end result of this one. Even though I hate Poison with a burning passion
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:18 PM

Go for it. I like "replica" axes. I had a blast doing my Kotzens. And of course, everything looks better on an Ibby. Even if it is CC's! Lol! Then you can do one of his Nagels!
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
Go for it. I like "replica" axes. I had a blast doing my Kotzens. And of course, everything looks better on an Ibby. Even if it is CC's! Lol! Then you can do one of his Nagels!
Haha true! Of course they weren't Nagles, but I considered doing one of those instead of this. But I always liked his Haring rip off better.

If I could find some more reverse headstock necks, I'd love to do a tribute to Joey Allen's double neck B.C. Rich Spy vs Spy guitar.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Haha true! Of course they weren't Nagles, but I considered doing one of those instead of this. But I always liked his Haring rip off better.

If I could find some more reverse headstock necks, I'd love to do a tribute to Joey Allen's double neck B.C. Rich Spy vs Spy guitar.
Ok, ok. Nagel-ish! And yeah, Warrant had some cool graphics. I'm working on a "Cherry Pie" clone - hopefully finish it next year when I have a real shop to work in again.

Make sure we get good pics of your progress!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
I think I'm going to ask the the yellow and pink be closer to DY and SK than the original.

So what do you think? Am I ruining this guitar by paying tribute to C.C. Deville? LOL
I really like this tribute-guitar. You should do the colors in DY and SK, it would fit an Ibanez better. Are you going to repaint the headstock also? As for poison, I still think they are a great rock n' roll band and still kicking ass during liveshows. Not the best playing band but good entertainment, no doubt about it. CC is one of my ol' guitarheroes too

Don't need nothin' but a good time...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 02:54 AM

Poison was the first metal band I ever heard, and I loved them.

Why does CC get so much hate? I think some of his stuff is pretty good, like the solo to "Life Goes On."
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 AM

Do you have to wear a wig when you play those guitars?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.A. View Post
Are you going to repaint the headstock also?
Yes, headstock will be repainted pink. At first I felt bad about doing that, but then the headstock got very slightly damaged in shipping back from the luthier who did the fret work, popping a chip of paint out at the very tip and cracking the binding. I'm really not happy because I dropped the necks off in person in a box that I wouldn't have shipped them in, then he shipped them back to me in the same box, insisting that he thought they would be OK.

There isn't a ton more for me to do on the project. I need to strip the paint off the top of the guitar and fill the center pickup hole, then send the parts off to the artist for paint. I'm moving in two weeks and once I get into the new house, I'll have more room to work on projects.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 08:18 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 AM

CC isn't horrible, he got me playing guitar.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 AM

Reviews: 15

I like CC and you get two thumbs up for originality!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:05 PM

Those pink pickups look good in that black body.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:06 PM

The volume knob seems closer than normal to the bridge pickup.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
The volume knob seems closer than normal to the bridge pickup.
it's common on some of the old 1989 models and the usa customs. I've got it on 2 of my guitars also
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I noticed this as well. I believe that this body came from a 1990 RG760. I was just looking on eBay and saw a number of '89 RG560's with a similar volume knob placement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode