NSD - New Strat Day: '10 Thin Skin Am Std FSR - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
Cool NSD - New Strat Day: '10 Thin Skin Am Std FSR

I came to the conclusion that I miss a real single-coil only guitar (read: old guy's axe) in my small herd. What better than a Strat. And what better than a regular, off-the-mill, US-made Strat. Or so I thought till realizing that there are tons of choices. I just knew I don't want to pay 2k+ on a Strat, after playing some MIM Strats that blew Custom Shop ones out of the water.

Then the right deal on the bay came across, got the wife's approval, and took the plunge: a 2010 Fender Factory Special Run "Thin Skin" American Standard Strat, in Vintage White (one of a run of 150), 8 hole pickguard, retrofitted Texas Special pickups, nice neck wood. The previous owner upgraded the flightcase for a deluxe hardshell one. Classy.

Enough babbling, here's my "Vanilla":

What can I say, it's a Strat, and do I like the feel. No total all-out shred axe, but a good thing to have lying around. I have a white 3-ply pickguard to transform her into a little wanna-be Yngwie Strat. Not sure though, the plain white guard grows on me. The thin skin finish is probably really thin, the wood grain shows well. Hate the trem bar holder (or lack thereof ). Some locking tuners might come in the near future.

Not sure about the pickups though. They are quite trebbly, and I wonder if a noiseless set would do good. Like Samarium Cobalts or the Hot Noiseless. Something warmer (esp. in the neck) and a tad stronger. But I'll fuzz around with the Texas Specials a bit. Any suggestions/input gladly taken!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:43 PM

Re: NSD - New Strat Day: '10 Thin Skin Am Std FSR

Sexy, I've been thinking of making a partscaster soon sorta like this but probably scalloped since I loved the feel of the yngwie strat but I dont want to pay full price for a strat since Im in college ahaha
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:05 PM

I had some Hot Noiseless, Gold Lace Sensors, 54 Custom Shop, Eric Johnson, Texas Specials, and Dimarzio YJM HS-2 and HS-3, in strats at one time and the Texas Specials and EJs were the only ones I liked so if you dont like the TS, maybe try to find some EJs somewhere?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:13 AM

Very nice love that aged cream color for a strat and the grain in the maple fingerboard is really nice.Good luck with it!!
+ 1 on the EJ pickups being some of the nicest sounding strat pickups I have heard.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Thx for the input. I played around with the pickups yesterday, and it's impressive how sensitive they are to height adjustments, never had that before with other pickups.

I think I need a night with a screwdriver and some beers to adjust them to my personal sweet spot . You made me curious about the EJs now, though. Maybe I'll assemble a loaded pickguard if I get my hands on a set.

But in any case, it plays surprisingly well, despite being an old-guy guitar .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Absolutely gorgeous instrument
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

The Texas Specials stay for a while at least. Adjusted the height and now they work for me. Pretty cool. Now I just need to refresh some good old Yngwie licks (and get immune to 60 cycle hum, lol).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 01:57 AM

Gorgeous guitar - congratulations!!! I'm a little biased cuz I have a vintage white strat too...I call her 'ol yellar' ;o)

I put some Duncans and a lace sensor in mine (jb jr & lil 59) but I also have another strat (the white one in the pic) and I put the dimarzio virtual vintage pups in it and I have not looked back - noiseless with great strat tones - so if you're looking at replacing the pups I would recommend considering the Dimarzio virtual vintage series. see my review (and a couple of others who also gave these pups 5 stars) here:

http://www.jemsite.com/compare-guita...ickup/reviews/

Congrats on your beautiful new acquistion!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 10:47 PM

My Waynes World 2 now has a lil 59, duckbucker and jb in it. The duckbucker is a great single coil substitute. I've got Texas special in another which I also quite like.. a bit Jimi-ish.

Last edited by humpy; 04-02-2011 at 05:51 AM.

Tags
fender , fsr , strat , thin skin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode