NSD - New Strat Day - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 15
NSD - New Strat Day

I used to have an MIJ Strat. My first proper guitar, it was Olympic White with a maple board and it was stolen from our student house about 15 years ago. I replaced it with an Ibanez RG and never looked back.

...until recently, when I decided that I needed that Strat sound again.

My local music shop had a couple of new Road Worn Strats in stock (black and sunburst) and I tried them both out. They felt great and they played great but neither of them felt... special.

Then the shop guys pointed out a second hand guitar they'd just got in a trade-in. I tried it out and it felt "right" so the deal was done :

So apparently it's some sort of 50th Anniversary Strat. A bit of research revealed that it seems to be a 50th Anniversary American Series Strat. They also made a 50th Anniversary Custom Shop model with a cutaway heel, figured maple neck, vintage trem and engraved heelplate, and a 50th Anniversary Special Strat with gold hardware and a vintage trem.

It came with an original hardshell case with all sorts of stuff in it :

For a 6-year-old guitar, it's in great condition. It was new in at the shop, so they hadn't had time to to clean it up properly or tweak the setup. Even so, it was very clean and set up very nicely. I changed the knobs for a spare set I had as the old ones were a bit gunky, restrung it with D'Addario 9-42s and gave a it a good thrashing.

I love how different guitars make you play differently. I played this guitar for an hour without playing any proper single note stuff at all - it just feels so good to knock out chords and riffs through a low gain amp.

When you want to crank things up, the neck is on the big side, even for a Strat neck, but the board is pretty flat (and its edges are beautifully curved) and the frets are pretty big (and very nicely dressed), so big bends aren't a problem.

One thing that I liked, compared to the Road Worn models, is that this one has a tone control that works on the bridge pickup, so you can take the edge off your tone when you want to.

Just have to resist modding this one. For now, at least...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:27 PM

Re: NSD - New Strat Day

Nice! That is in excellent condition. Lots of nice case candy as well.Seeing this makes me want a Strat badly. Congrtaz and enjoy!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 04:10 PM

best mods you can make is the callaham trem block and the plate under the single. No one will see that.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 04:12 PM

Looks great!
Can't beat a good strat.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 04:27 PM

Nice Strat.

It's interesting, my 50th anniversary Strat came in a vintage tweed case. That looks like the case from a couple years later. I wonder if someone switched cases on you.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 05:17 PM

Nice score.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
Nice Strat.

It's interesting, my 50th anniversary Strat came in a vintage tweed case. That looks like the case from a couple years later. I wonder if someone switched cases on you.
That's not a 50th anniversary strat, it's just a 2004 strat. The "official" 50th anniversaries were only 2 tone sunburst. Still a nice looking strat, and the fact that someone rewired the second tone pot saves you the time from doing it yourself.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:33 PM

That is a nice looking fender you have there m8.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 AM

Reviews: 19

I like.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 07:57 AM

Lovely guitar.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 AM

nice axe, i am a sucker for candy apple strats! especially with rosewood boards!

rich
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:18 PM

Reviews: 4

Red...I'm in love...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
That's not a 50th anniversary strat, it's just a 2004 strat. The "official" 50th anniversaries were only 2 tone sunburst. Still a nice looking strat, and the fact that someone rewired the second tone pot saves you the time from doing it yourself.
Ahh, it all makes sense now. Seems they fitted that style of heelplate to all the 2004 Strats. Nice and confusing.

This makes the idea of modding it much easier. Hmm, EMG Dave Gilmour loaded pickguard...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Ahh, yes. Of course. I remember now. (I do have the 2 tone burst.)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:03 AM

Nice strat, I had a MIJ electric blue one that I sold when I joined the Navy in 1990, it would have been a 88,89 model I'm guessing.

It would have been nicely aged and tasty by now, as my 1991 EMG Floyd Strat is.

Looks like it's aching for some Gilmour licks.

Cheers,
Shane

Tags
fender , ngd , strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode