NtomeGD! RG655 Prestige! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

NtomeGD! RG655 Prestige!

Well my "new to me" RG655 arrived today from Satchmo! I must say it's spotless and everything he said it would be. It really is in such good condition I don't think anyone could tell it from brand new - in fact it's better than brand new with Rich's gold level handywork!

So very happy with it. Since it will likely never leave my hands - I removed the pickguard plastic he had left on it.

My other search for another '87 RG550 in Heather Pearl has not ended though - but the guy that was going to sell me his decided to keep it (don't blame him!) and the morning he let me know of his decision - Satchmo's RG655 showed up in the classifieds here - as if it was a sign. So I jumped on it.

Also - a special thanks to RGT for putting in a good word for me with Satchmo - being a relatively new member here with no prior sales ratings I appreciate you speaking with Jeff and giving me your seal of approval to him for the sale!

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 10:30 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: NtomeGD! RG655 Prestige!

Awesome to see you got it Bill. Your welcome of course. It looks beautiful- as we knew it would.....LOL. I told you- Jeff does NOT screw around. There are only a couple of people I would buy from on Jemsite that I could trust implicitly. Jeff is one of them.

OK, so now that we all know how good it looks.........What do you think of it's playability?

I'm hoping it's everything your HP was and a whole lot more.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 10:33 PM

I also have to ask.......did the plastic protector on the guard leave a stick residue behind? I just took the plastic off my 2xxv guard and it left a really bad residue. I use wax to clean it up and scratched the guard in the process....... I even used a brand new cloth.....DOH!!!
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Well - truth be told I haven't played it more than a couple of minutes (had my guitar lesson this evening and my teacher likes me to use my acoustic since she's a classical guitarist). Plus I can't fire up my Blackstar now that the wife and kids are in bed - so it'll be headphones only tonight.

Anyway - the neck reminds me a lot of my old RG550 but will take some getting used to as my other guitars lean toward the fatter end of things (Taylor 310 dread, PRS Angelus SE, Fender Lonestar Strat and Fender Jimmy Vaughan Strat).

But so far - I sense it's going to be the "one guitar" (insert bad Foreigner pun here) I grab every time I practice.

Time to pick up a little Vox mini or Roland Micro Cube so I can take it to my lessons!

Thanks!

Bill
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Vendor

I think the only reason Jeff kept it that long was we had a bet he would sell it before 6 months. I'd have to check my records to see who won the bet, but since I don't remember what the bet was for, I won't
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Nope - no sticky residue at all - but a tiny bit is still stuck under the tone knob and clicks a bit when I turn it. I know it'll drive me nuts until I pop the knob off and remove the rest of it - but I'm afraid to muscle it now since it's only been in my hands a few hours. If I break it this soon I'll be heartbroken.

And Jeff included his original invoice - he got it in February - so I must say he won the bet!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Vendor

I hope I don't have to wear a dress to work tomorrow.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think the only reason Jeff kept it that long was we had a bet he would sell it before 6 months. I'd have to check my records to see who won the bet, but since I don't remember what the bet was for, I won't
LOL... his receipt says January........ this was the longest he's EVER held onto a new guitar..........LOL
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I hope I don't have to wear a dress to work tomorrow.
Nah.... I think you owe him a chicken dinner.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK01 View Post
Well - truth be told I haven't played it more than a couple of minutes (had my guitar lesson this evening and my teacher likes me to use my acoustic since she's a classical guitarist). Plus I can't fire up my Blackstar now that the wife and kids are in bed - so it'll be headphones only tonight.

Anyway - the neck reminds me a lot of my old RG550 but will take some getting used to as my other guitars lean toward the fatter end of things (Taylor 310 dread, PRS Angelus SE, Fender Lonestar Strat and Fender Jimmy Vaughan Strat).

But so far - I sense it's going to be the "one guitar" (insert bad Foreigner pun here) I grab every time I practice.

Time to pick up a little Vox mini or Roland Micro Cube so I can take it to my lessons!

Thanks!

Bill
Screw bringing an acoustic to practice....LOL. YOUR A SHREDDER!!!!

For a killer mini amp- check out the Orange Micro-Terror...... It's the best mini amp I've played- especially at the micro price.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzDohmkXeJs
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:47 AM

Congrats. I'm sure it's a fantastic guitar.

As far as removing old residue from things, when I got my 2120X it still had the 10 year old plastic on the back covers, which was partially peeling up. When I pulled it, it left a ton of whitish residue that I'm sure you've seen before. I used some naptha on them and I'll swear once I was done they're the best looking set of covers I have.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 09:42 AM

I'll just sit here and stew in my own envy.......God I want one of those.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 11:42 AM

Dammit, now I want one of these orange ones. Screw the CA, FSO is the way to go.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Dammit, now I want one of these orange ones. Screw the CA, FSO is the way to go.
Well - if Rich cannot get the White or CA and I wanted to buy a new 655 - I'd just get whatever color he can get from him with the Gold Level.

The workmanship he does with the Gold Level is worth it based on what I'm feeling with mine (and I'm certainly no expert). Heck - even IF they offered Heather Pearl (my dream color) but only through AMS - I'd still get a FSO from Rich - it's that good.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK01 View Post
Well - if Rich cannot get the White or CA and I wanted to buy a new 655 - I'd just get whatever color he can get from him with the Gold Level.

The workmanship he does with the Gold Level is worth it based on what I'm feeling with mine (and I'm certainly no expert). Heck - even IF they offered Heather Pearl (my dream color) but only through AMS - I'd still get a FSO from Rich - it's that good.
Well my thing is that I already have a 550CA (1993) but I love that color so much that I want one more... but at the same time I have 3 purple guitars (Carvin JB200C, and Ibanez RG685 Trans purple and 560PN) so maybe having something different is better

Tags
rg655

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode