• 43mm

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • 42mm

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • 41mm

Votes: 2 18.2%
8K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Dino 
#1 ·
What do you prefer, a shorter width or a longer width on your nut. If you post please put the reason for you preference. So, say why you like it a certain way. 43mm VS 42mm VS 41mm.

#6 ·
So what exactly are the advantages/ disadvantages to each way? Im assuming when they are closer together u can gain more speed? mybe even loose some accuracy? and if its further apart, you might gain accuracy, and more accuracy with chords? These are just educated guesses... does anybody have any links to some writing on this subject? thanks

#7 ·
Now doesn't nut width correspond to string spacing at the bridge? Don't guitars with 43 mm nuts usually have string spacing at the bridge of 2 1/4 " , where guitars with 41 mm nuts have a spacing of 2" at the bridge (I know there are exceptions). With the same string spacing at the bridge, I don't see how 1 mm at the nut would even be noticable. I mean my index finger is probably 17 mm across, how would I notice a difference of 1 mm, divided by six strings?

#9 ·
God elected to burden me with chubby fingers, so I prefer a fairly wide fingerboard at the nut end - I really don't think the nut width would have very much, if any effect on speed and accuracy, it would seem, at least to me, to have more to do with personal preference and finger-chubbiness ratio!

#12 ·
I don't care how wide the nut is, as long as the guitar is set up well, I can play it. There are advantages to having a smaller nut, narrower string spacing and shorter scale lengths, depending on how you play, what you play and the size of your hands. I like the shorter (Gibson) scale length of 24.75" because I can do wide chord stretches easier, for example. Allan Holdsworth likes narrow string spacing at the bridge, and you can't argue with the guy's skill/technique, it works well for him and he knows a lot about what makes a great guitar.

So yeah, I won't vote. It depends on the player.

Wanna become a better guitarist? Play a 5 or 6 string bass with a high action for a few weeks! Picking up a guitar after that is like playing a small toy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.