NX6 by Washburn - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
NX6 by Washburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno
btw,
guys, what do you think of the (new?) NX6 by Washburn?
oil-treated/non-lacquered mahogany body, two Seymours, fixed bridge, volume/tone (both push/pull) and the 3-way toggle? she looks the same as an N4, but with non-reverse headstock. pretty cute!

Well I'm carrying on this thread of Nuno's here in the other non Ibanez 6 string forum.

HERE is a link to the beast in question. post away guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Personally, I mourn the loss of the paduak N4 and am a bit upset that washburn "stole" that wood for the NX6.

To me the paduak was Nuno's signature "finish", like a swirl paintjob is to Vai sort of thing. I know they offer the N4 in a paduak looking stain, but damn it, it's just not the same

I also am not too fond of the NX6's non reverse headstock, I think that the N4's style was visually far more balanced. Non the less I wouldn't turn my nose up at a free NX6

Has anyone encountered an NX6 inthe real world?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 10:55 AM

i wish it!

yeah,
i don't like much the non-reverse headstock. but i like the wood, even thought i don't have a clue about what difference among those different woods. i kinda go by eye...
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
Personally, I mourn the loss of the paduak N4 and am a bit upset that washburn "stole" that wood for the NX6.

To me the paduak was Nuno's signature "finish", like a swirl paintjob is to Vai sort of thing. I know they offer the N4 in a paduak looking stain, but damn it, it's just not the same

I also am not too fond of the NX6's non reverse headstock, I think that the N4's style was visually far more balanced. Non the less I wouldn't turn my nose up at a free NX6

Has anyone encountered an NX6 inthe real world?
I too do not like the non-reversed N-style headstock; it looks funny.

The paduak is a tank Nuno, quite heavy, but really nice sounding. I had a choice between that and the Swamp Ash, and I took the swamp ash. Looking back I should have gotten the paduak. Oh well.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 05:54 PM

thanx Polaris,
but why aren't you happy with the swamp-ash? does it sound bad, or it's just because you then knew the paduak sounds better?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 06:24 AM

Quote:
thanx Polaris,
but why aren't you happy with the swamp-ash? does it sound bad, or it's just because you then knew the paduak sounds better?
No I was happy with the Swamp Ash, but after getting more playing time on the Paduak, it was more suited to my tastes.

I unfortunately got rid of my N4, because the trem was pissing me off big time. I should have just replaced the trem unit instead of getting rid of the whole guitar. But I was a dumb kid.

Instead of getting another N4, now I think I'd just get Warmoth parts to build a Paduak N4 hardtail clone, the J4 (standing for Jeff, that's me ).

I just do not like trems, unless they're an Edge.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 10:39 PM

The non reversed "N" style headstock looks really stupid. Other than that I seems like an ok guitar.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 08:36 AM

hm...
what about a home-made/parts N4 with a FX-Edge? hm...
oh Nuno, why you didn't sign for Ibanez!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 09:22 AM

This guitar is reviewed in the issue of Guitar World with Korn on the cover.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 02:22 PM

Quote:
hm...
what about a home-made/parts N4 with a FX-Edge? hm...
oh Nuno, why you didn't sign for Ibanez!
Well, that would be a good idea except that the engineering it would take would be near impossible or not worth the money over a normal strat-style fixed bridge and a set of Sperzels.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 03:31 PM

Personally I'd take an N4 or this guitar. If I had the money, I'd buy one today! Podaku wood of-course... sigh.. I want so many things.. and have so little cash...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 11:54 PM

Did you notice that the Washburn site's pictures show the Paduk has ring mounted pickups and the Alder and Ash have direct mounted?
Although I finally have gotten around to using a tone knob, it's odd to see one on a N4 style guitar. This whole thing looks odd to me. I think they messed around too much with a good thing. I like the lack of fret markers, it gives a clean look. As long as it has markers on the top though...
KO
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Odom
Did you notice that the Washburn site's pictures show the Paduk has ring mounted pickups and the Alder and Ash have direct mounted?
And also that the padouk model has a different bridge pickup to the other two?

The padouk's bridge pickup has individual pole pieces, whereas the other guitars have the SD Dimebucker in the bridge slot evident from the blade pole pieces.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Odom
And also that the padouk model has a different bridge pickup to the other two?

The padouk's bridge pickup has individual pole pieces, whereas the other guitars have the SD Dimebucker in the bridge slot evident from the blade pole pieces.
Probably production and prototype pics that are mixed together. The question is which is which?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:32 PM

GuitarWorld reviewed one of these (the black one) and it had the Dimebucker, and (if I remember correctly) no pickup rings.

Tags
bridge pickup , fender strat , fixed bridge , fret markers , fret size , mahogany body , mounted pickups , pickup ring , pickup rings , reverse headstock , swamp ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode