OGD - My old Roadstar II - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

OGD - My old Roadstar II

Yeah, I know its an old junker... bottom of the line in '87, but this was mainly to redeem myself for trying to "improve" this guitar when I was too dumb to know better. The first guitar I ever bought when I decided to switch from bass to guitar so I could impress the chicks. 25 years ago I decided to refinish it with an oil finish and fill the trem cavity for a solid bridge. Today I played it for the first time since I took the strings off way back then. After I sanded it down and refinished it, I set up the bridge and it was too high... 25 years later I buy a cheap solid bridge just to get it playable and see if I still liked the neck enough to find a new body and do it up right. Had to polish the frets and oil the board... I also took out the old mismatched pickups I was going to use and put in a set of mag-swapped V7/V8's... quickly wired it up, did a quick function check, put strings on it, tweaked the neck, adjusted string height, and set the intonation... by golly it sounds pretty freakin' good! I'd even say it sounds great... and plays like a dream! Never mind the extra holes in the guitar and pickguard. Redemption is mine!!

Last edited by FireEagle; 12-01-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:50 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: OGD - My old Roadstar II

Man, I don't even know where to start. That guitar is at least 6 of the 7 levels of cool. On top of that it's a resto-mod.

Kudos dude!! There are only a couple of us that really know how good these early RG/RS guitars are.....lets keep it that way to keep the prices down....cool?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Man, I don't even know where to start. That guitar is at least 6 of the 7 levels of cool. On top of that it's a resto-mod.

Kudos dude!! There are only a couple of us that really know how good these early RG/RS guitars are.....lets keep it that way to keep the prices down....cool?
Thanks man... Talking to you about the old Roadstars is one of the things that made me drag it out of the closet. Still need to tinker with it... the tone control has a bad spot and it could use a better bridge. Just feels good to play it again after 25 years! BTW - I found a place to get pickguards for these for $40. They sell loaded ones on ebay, but said they would sell the plain pickguard to me.

I'm still drooling over that pic of your '86 you recently posted! Great guitars, for sure. Maybe someday I can find one like yours with the OE and that trademark neck. I'll help spread the word about how horrible these old RG's are...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 06:23 PM

Reviews: 6

Love the re-furb job. That has given me some ideas for my 550. It's great that you were able to get it back in playable shape. It looks amazing.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 06:10 AM

The necks are arguably the best things about these guitars.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laobi View Post
Love the re-furb job. That has given me some ideas for my 550. It's great that you were able to get it back in playable shape. It looks amazing.
Thanks man... Kind of scabbed together, but playable! That 550 of yours will be a project well worth undertaking. Can't wait to see what you do with it! If you find a 550 body in the states and need help getting it to you... let me know.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
The necks are arguably the best things about these guitars.
I agree. Memories of how the neck felt were the driving force in getting it back together. In fact, I almost bought a hardtail strat body to bolt the neck on to... but then decided I'd better make sure it was still straight and playable before spending any money on it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Thanks man... Kind of scabbed together, but playable! That 550 of yours will be a project well worth undertaking. Can't wait to see what you do with it! If you find a 550 body in the states and need help getting it to you... let me know.

Thank you very much Fire, I really appreciate the offer. I'm in a quandry at the moment with the 550, it plays like a dream, the pups are great, the only real issue is that body.

Here's my quandry, this may sound strange, but the body tells the story of the guitar. The bright yellow, so 80s although not my favourite colour. The scallops and the red nail varnished design tells us that it was once owned by a moron or someone who was too young and inexperienced to appreciate what they had. Part of me is thinking replace the body and another part of me is thinking keep the body and do one of 2 things.

1 Take the red off and re-finish it in either yellow or black, but correctly done and coated.
2 This is where your RS comes in, I love what you did, the stain really brought out the grain in the wood and it's very tastefully done. The plus side of doing this is that the scallops would be much less visible.

Anyway I've got to the point where I'm thinking about it too much, usually I decide on something and finish it without hesitation, with this one I'm totally in 2 minds. I imagine the RGs and RS' from that period used the same body materials and were hopefully 1 piece.

By the way,
What type of stain did you use?
did you clear coat it when finished?

Cheers
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

I can totally understand your quandry... It is kind of a cool piece of 80's memorabilia. The 80's were all about doing something radical and different and that guitar says it all. Maybe with different colors it would look better with the scallops? Like you mentioned, all gloss black?

You have lots of options though...

-Get another body and save the old one for a conversation piece hanging on the wall.

-Try a repaint or stain w/new pickguard scalloped to match the guitar, so there are not screws in the middle of nowhere.

-Sand the scallops down for a nice JS style rounded body and trim a pickguard to match.

-??? Whatever you want to do!

The stuff I used on mine was very easy to use. I sanded down the body for about 580 hours, as it had the thickest hardest white coating, presumably made of titanium impregnated with diamond dust... normally used to protect spacecraft upon re-entry. Progressively got finer sandpaper until very smooth, then used a tacky rag made for removing sawdust (can't remember what they call it), then rubbed on the stain. The stain was Minwax "Wood-Sheen" Rubbing Oil Stain and Finish... in Rosewood color (I still have half of it left in the bottle). I did everything but the fretboard, since it was already rosewood... lol. I don't know if they make that product anymore or if it has a new name.

It looks ok, all in all... but the chunk of wood (unknown) was not the prettiest piece. It is two pieces glued together, not in the middle, but the line runs along the bottom of the bridge to the bottom of the neck pocket. There was also a small spot of filler just above the pickguard screw nearest the top of the neck joint... almost like someone drilled the screw hole in the wrong place and had to fill it. The reason I mention these things is because you never know what lies under that paint... might be good or might be bad. My logical man-mind says that they probably used the pretty pieces of wood for finishes that show the grain and they painted the pieced-together bodies or ones that have any filler.

There are some neat bodies out there that fit that neck... http://www.ebay.com/itm/unfinished-r...item23450bf807
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:27 PM

Thank you for the advice. I'm thinking about a combination of option 2 and 3.

You're right about the paint being the stuff shuttles are coated with, there's a crack in the paint on mine, I was concerned it was a body crack, but when I examined it carefully I noticed the paint is about 5mm thick and there's no damage to the body. I would think the same way on the woods they finished and the ones they painted and am slightly worried I will discover a horror story when I sand. Yours looks great though, so even if the body looks like a leper's scrotum I think the magic of a nice stain will conceal it.

Tags
rg110

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode