Oh gosh I might trade away my Jem - Yeah I know.. Its been w - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Oh gosh I might trade away my Jem - Yeah I know.. Its been w

Hey all,
guess what, read title

I've been all over like a madman lately about trying to get a sound I'm super happy about with the Jem (vwh) and uh... **scratch scratch* *I can't do it really, cause whatever I do, the sound sounds stratty and not *full*. *I mean, maybe I'm doing something wrong.. The lead tone is really nice, but on the bridge pickup sounds really nasally and thin up high.. *I gotta drive the amp pretty hard too to get a nice rhythm tone.. *I play through a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401, and I've tried doing EQ and everything, checking setup, etc. *Ohwell, I think I'm going to go for the EBMM JP unless someone convinces me otherwise

Opinions? *I may yet still change my mind..

(Edited by SHsu516815 at 2:31 pm on Mar. 28, 2002)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 03:17 PM

Reviews: 5
Oh gosh I might trade away my Jem

my feeling here is that if you're unhappy with the output from a JEM7VWH, the EB/MM is going to be a step sideways, not up. *You're not going to get much better output after the Evolution. *At this point I'd suggest asking someone in the know to help with your EQ and in the end, you may need to move on to EMG pickups or something. *But if you can't get enough brute force out of Evo's, you're in trouble bro.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 04:20 PM

I was a little unhappy with the somewhat shrill sound of the bridge evo in my 7vwh.Instead of switching guitars,pickups,etc.,I replaced the 500k pots with 250k pots,also changed the capacitor value to 5.This warmed things up a bit to my ears.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 05:48 PM

I found my 7VWH a little hard and shrill, but I've always loved the Breeds in my 7DBK (and now in my Floral as well) so you might want to just try a pickup swap before throwing out the baby with the bath water
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 07:39 PM

For what it's worth, I've always though Marshal amps to be incredibly thin sounding anyway, I'm not a fan at all. *The Evo's in my Jem kick ass through my rig, you might consider some other processing or just a pedal too!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 08:00 PM

I'd bet its your amp. My VWH's bridge pickup sounds great through my Mark IV. My JS10th's FRED (bridge) sounds VERY nasally, tight, and completely without a bottom end through the gain channels on the Mark IV, but sound great with a DS-1.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 09:50 PM

You may need a guitar with a mahogany body.
Greg
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

I dont' know... *Its not that I don't find it powerful enough, its just that it sounds shrill on the bridge pup, and like some people say I can just change it, but should I have to change the bridge pup on a 1500 new guitar? *I just don't feel its worth it in the end like that. *

Also, like some of you guys are sayin, the amp,... Yeah, I do feel that is limiting me a little bit but lemme inqurire about something... *You know when petrucci shreds in the upper register, and it has that particular sound where the pick attack is all audible and distinctly attacky? *Umm Jeez I don't know how to explain it, it sounds very defined and articulate.. *Well anyway, is that a quirk of the pups or is that an amp quirk?

Thanks for the responses so far
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 11:58 PM

Reviews: 5

I'm going to go out on a limb and say...the amp. *I've used a 7VWH for playing leads for 3 years now and I've never used more mid-rangey powerful pickups for lead work.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Ah. *Ya know what I'm takling about though by the petrucci thing right?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 03:50 AM

I'm going out on a limb and saying... you'll never sound like Petrucci unless you lock yourself in a room and practice your alternate picking religously for a few years. *As long as you have a decent guitar and amp, so little of your actual tone *will come from your gear. *Just enjoy your new axe and accept that your fingers will always sound like you and no one else! *

(Edited by DaveSwift at 3:51 am on Mar. 29, 2002)
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 10:15 AM

Dude, do it immediately... *I have 3 JPMs (2 EBMM and 1 Ibanez) and a 7VWH. *I find the same thing that you've found, the 7V doesn't want to do really crunchy metal rhythm power chords. *The individual notes sing instead of distorting which makes the guitar sound very un-metal (at least through a tube amp through a Line 6 it probably doesn't make a difference).

I recommend getting a plain vanilla EBMM JPM with no options. *It's a great guitar and will give you the rhythm sound you want directly out of the box, at least it did for me. *The same can be said for the Ibanez JPM in comparison to the 7VWH. *Also if you ever want to play 7, consider getting a plain vanilla 7. *They sound even better than the 6.

As to the question of sounding like Petrucci, if you want to have his tone you can do it with a JPM and the least expensive Mesa amp that's currently in production (probably the F-50 if you want a new amp, otherwise the Subway Rocket). *As for playing like Petrucci, I have to go with what DaveSwift said. *In any case, even if you can't play like him (which I sure as hell can't) the EBMM JPM works great for all of your standard metal duties like Maiden, Queensryche, Metallica, Megadeth, etc... *In my opinion the same can't be said of the 7VWH running directly into a tube amp.

For Petrucci's lead tone, his pop comes from his incredible technique as well as using .10 gauge strings and probably 2nd behind technique is Mesa amplification. *Mesa amps have TONS of separation between notes even with lots of gain. *This is common to many tube amps though. *I find that the 7VWH is more than adequate for playing Petrucci style leads. *In fact I learned a lot of Scenes from a Memory playing my 7VWH and it sounded great on the lead work. *I just found it a bit lacking for the Metallica sound rhythm stuff.

(Edited by lgascoig at 10:18 am on Mar. 29, 2002)
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 12:04 PM

I've found that my RG's sound a bit clinky in the upper register while using the bridge pickup. If I'm going to (attempt to )do any speed picking or sweep arpeggios up high, I'll use the neck pickup. I also play through a Marshall (JCM 900).
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 12:52 PM

I've never particularly liked the sound of the bridge p/u in the upper register of any guitar. Way too much treble for my spine to take. I've always gone with neck. But in my experience, the problem is probably with your amp. And you've probably already thought of this, but it could be the strings too.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 07:54 AM

To get a more defined sound practice everything on the Clean channel 'til you can play it Perfect THEN turn up the gain! BTW, Petrucci used a Steve Special in bridge on his Ibanez's

Tags
alternate picking , amp settings , bridge pickup , bridge pup , ebmm jpm , gauge strings , ibanez jpm , mahogany body , mesa amps , neck pickup , pickup height , signature guitar , steve vai , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode