Is it OK if I show off a bit? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Is it OK if I show off a bit?

I really wanted to show you guys these. I hope it's OK to post them here. If not, I will certainly understand.

This is part of a group of koa topped guitars that we're building. It represents a big step forward for us. This one's actually a 6 string, but I thought you might enjoy seeing what we're doing anyway. It has the same 27 inch scale length as our 7 strings. The back is mahogany. Others in the series include both swamp ash and black limba backs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 06:35 PM

Very nice guitars, as always! Thumbs up!

But on the third pic, there is a flaw. On the first pics you see clearly that there is a modern monkey grip present. But on the third it's gone! Are those two different guitars?

Sorry... Couldn't resist.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 06:37 PM

Stunning!

I love blank fretboards, but the silver-outlined abalone dots are pure class. That Koa is gorgeous.

Now you just have to get the backplates cut out directly from the spot where they live so the grain matches exactly.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor
But on the third pic, there is a flaw. On the first pics you see clearly that there is a modern monkey grip present. But on the third it's gone! Are those two different guitars?

Sorry... Couldn't resist.
It's not a monkey grip. It's more like a "modern" f hole. There is no flaw.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Stunning!

I love blank fretboards, but the silver-outlined abalone dots are pure class. That Koa is gorgeous.

Now you just have to get the backplates cut out directly from the spot where they live so the grain matches exactly.
You're actualy the second person to suggest that today. Unfortuantely, what's left of the wood from that spot is basically sawdust by the time that hole's been cut. What I way do instead is cut some rear route covers that match the top instead of the back so on these the cover would be koa.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
You're actualy the second person to suggest that today. Unfortuantely, what's left of the wood from that spot is basically sawdust by the time that hole's been cut. What I way do instead is cut some rear route covers that match the top instead of the back so on these the cover would be koa.
Since you're making chambered/semi-hollow bodies, i believe it is possible to do, if planned correctly.

You just rout away the inside to the thickness of the cavity cover, being sure to leave some "tabs" for where the screws need to mount, then you cut the outline from the rear either with a cutting wheel or a very fine router bit (or even an x-acto knife) and then use a fine cutting wheel to separate the plate from the tabs and the cavity inset.

Pedulla basses have a cavity cut right from the back of the body. It's a pretty sweet little piece of detailing.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Quote:
Since you're making chambered/semi-hollow bodies, i believe it is possible to do, if planned correctly.

You just rout away the inside to the thickness of the cavity cover, being sure to leave some "tabs" for where the screws need to mount, then you cut the outline from the rear either with a cutting wheel or a very fine router bit (or even an x-acto knife) and then use a fine cutting wheel to separate the plate from the tabs and the cavity inset.

Pedulla basses have a cavity cut right from the back of the body. It's a pretty sweet little piece of detailing.
It probably would be a neat finishing touch to cut the plat from the same wood, but It's amazing to me how much of a PIA the whole rear route cover has turned out to be. Just getting it sized correctly so that we acount for the finish has cost countless hours. I occassionally wonder if I wouldn't have been better off just using a piece of plastice like most companies do.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 09:21 AM

No, it's not. My boss hates it when I drool at work.

No, seriously, that is, for lack of a better word, stunning.

-D
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 12:13 PM

Jim, that looks amazing! Would you be making these Koa Swans in 7? Also, how much more of a figured Koa could you get? Even that top is gorgeous, though...
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 01:00 PM

If I ever come across a large amount of money, you're definitely one person who's getting some in exchange for something freaking beautiful

Amazing work as always
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidusGT
Jim, that looks amazing! Would you be making these Koa Swans in 7? Also, how much more of a figured Koa could you get? Even that top is gorgeous, though...
Yes, I'm hoping to build a koa 7 string for myself in the next couple months. I'm only doing 7 strings on custom order now. There just isn't enough demand to justify having any in stock.

As for the amount of figure in the koa. It depends largely on the availability and cost. It's become very difficult to find koa that's a lot better than this and when you do, it's generally wood that was bought by a builder many years ago. But it's like most things. If you're willing to pay more, then is suddenly becomes available. I've got some other interesting wood combinations on the go right now. There's another pair of koa tops with black limba baks and then a Bolivian rosewood top with a mahogany back. I think that one's going to be just gorgeous.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 03:01 PM

Beautiful work Jim!

jim
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 03:22 PM

She looks amazing! Very classy...

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Yes, I'm hoping to build a koa 7 string for myself in the next couple months. I'm only doing 7 strings on custom order now. There just isn't enough demand to justify having any in stock.

As for the amount of figure in the koa. It depends largely on the availability and cost. It's become very difficult to find koa that's a lot better than this and when you do, it's generally wood that was bought by a builder many years ago. But it's like most things. If you're willing to pay more, then is suddenly becomes available. I've got some other interesting wood combinations on the go right now. There's another pair of koa tops with black limba baks and then a Bolivian rosewood top with a mahogany back. I think that one's going to be just gorgeous.
Man, I don't even want to start thinking about that Koa seven. I've been drooling over your Swans for the longest time. I just don't have the finances at the moment. I've never heard of Black Limba before. Where does it stand tonally? Have you ever considered doing a top in spalted maple? I have a feeling that would look stupidly attractive as well. Also, what are the construction times on custom built swans?

Regards,
Daniel.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 03:27 PM

It's ok ;-)

Seriously tho, Jim as always amazing work, I will only echo Mr Wilsons comments about the grain matching on the back plate, But imho it looks great anyway

Keep up the great work, It's great to see a modern looking semi :-)

Rob

Tags
abalone dots , cavity cover , darren wilson , monkey grip , neck position , swamp ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode