Ok, so i have a RG2550 Prestige - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so i have a RG2550 Prestige

This is my Prestige:

It's a model from 2005, so it doesn't have the ghost sharktooth inlay, do you think it can become a rare model in the future because it has a dotted inlay? I was always curious if such things could make a guitar rare and desirable...

Do you have any rarities you could show?

Btw, I would love to get my hands on a RG550xx DY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:45 PM

Re: Ok, so i have a RG2550 Prestige

I just saw the same guitar with dot inlay at guitar center
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_UV777 View Post
I just saw the same guitar with dot inlay at guitar center
That's why i said "in the future" and i was kinda saying "comparing with another RG2550 with the sharktooth inlay, supposing it's what they will use from now one" if that makes it more desirable... i am not intending to know if i will make any profit with my guitar in the future, lol, as i said, i just wanted to know what makes a discontinued guitar more appealing to the collectors and "Ibanez lovers"
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 01:44 PM

I don't imagine it'll become 'rare', especially given the difference between that and the current version is merely cosmetic.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Dee

Rare? No chance. There about 80 billion of these guitars around.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 02:53 PM

Still looks purdy though! Rare or not.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Dee

Sure, it's not a bad looking axe (when you change that awful pickguard that looks like it was made from melted-down bin liners), though I can't really get excited about it.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Sure, it's not a bad looking axe (when you change that awful pickguard that looks like it was made from melted-down bin liners), though I can't really get excited about it.
LOL You have such a way with words! hehe
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Rare? No chance. There about 80 billion of these guitars around.
True, but so where produced the original RG 550 am i right?

Quote:
Lol, naw, i think i'm going to let it be, i really like it that way it's an awesome guitar, to me, sometimes serving as a backup for my Jackson RR1, sometimes the other way around
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Dee

The 550 is not rare, it's a very common guitar!

Well of course, it's not my business diss your guitar. If you like it, that's great. I like the 2550, it's a cool instrument, I just don't like the pickguard much. A plain black one would be better, I reckon. But hey, just my taste.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The 550 is not rare, it's a very common guitar!

Well of course, it's not my business diss your guitar. If you like it, that's great. I like the 2550, it's a cool instrument, I just don't like the pickguard much. A plain black one would be better, I reckon. But hey, just my taste.
No problem but as i said, it was common back there, i believe now there is a big search for them.. at least here in Portugal!

And yes i love my 2550, unlike most people, i like Jems, but i don't wish to have one... if it was offered to me, i think i'd sell it to buy either a custom (adding more cash to it, obviously) or a cheaper guitar, like another prestige. I'm not too fond of signature models, i only bought the Rhoads because it was my dream since i was a kid :P and it's so common with famous artists nowadays that you do not associate with the original artist when you think of it. Unlike the Jems
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Dee

I'm with you bro, I don't like JEM's much nowadays either. I used to, but then something said to me "these guitars are just silly!" -- I hate the monkey grip, that's pretty much what kills it for me. It's completely pointless! I am not a Vai fan, btw. Not at all. I think Steve is a great guy, but I don't like the ego and face-pulling antics.

If I had a JEM I'd sell it and buy 2 RG's instead. I must admit though, I do like the PBK and I prefer the old-style monkey grip.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:53 PM

the 550 is still fairly common for a used guitar. i could go on e-bay right now and probably find 5-10 auctions for them. and they aren't fetching any outrageous prices either.

i own several ibanezes that were made for exactly one year. one is the rt series (made in 92 i believe) and the other is the sa1260, which is a japanese prestige. neither of these guitars are going for any large sums of money when they appear on the bay and i doubt the 2550 with the dot inlays will either. it's all about supply AND demand, not just supply....
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

I guess you are right, oh well, i was just curious

And Dee, yup, we're on the same wave i guess I rather be a guy who plays an unsigned model, which to me is as good as the Jem, that to be on stage and everyone who looks at me thinks "hey that's vai's guitar", lol, i am not there to remind the people of someone's work, i am there promoting my own
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 07:10 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
I am not a Vai fan, btw. Not at all. I think Steve is a great guy, but I don't like the ego and face-pulling antics.
I dont like Steve either but I play JEM. back to the topic, it will be rare and more desireable if there is not inlay

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , gibson les paul , headstock shape , ibanez rgt , les paul , monkey grip , shark tooth inlays , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , signature guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode