Okay, guitar sugestion. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Okay, guitar sugestion.

So I'm selling my RG370. I hate how it plays. I prefer the tighter string feel of a Strat than the loose feel of my RG. No matter what string gauges I put on my RG, the tension feels the same. Not to mention how noisy the electronics are on it. IT picks up so much extra noise compared to my strat. And it vibrates like crazy. Lets say im doing a sweep on the G B and E, the low E string rings. Everything about it annoys me.
But I need a "shredding" guitar in place of it. I've been looking at the John Petrucci OLP sig model. It seems pretty cool. Locking tuners, amazing fret access, cheap. I really dont want another Floyd rose style bridge atm ( I would LOVE a 550RFR, but Im saving for a new amp and a JP7), so this seems perfect. But does it have that nice, tighter feel of a strat as opposed to the RG?

Last edited by Lord Lemons; 06-11-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Re: Okay, guitar sugestion.

Okay, I cant takee the gas anymore! I'm buying a 550! I dont know what color though. RFR or DY? I love the RFR I played, and I havent seen a DY in person.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:26 PM

Hi!
Regarding string tension, did You tray to change position of tremolo? If You tighten springs a bit so the bridge is not paralel to body , but slightly in to body (so tailpiece is a bit uper then usuall), this will stiffen the tremolo.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:30 PM

I have never thought of the RG as having loose tension campared to a strat.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:34 PM

there is no such thing as a shredding guitar. If you like strats get yourself a Yngwie strat and shred away.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lemons View Post
Okay, I cant takee the gas anymore! I'm buying a 550! I dont know what color though. RFR or DY? I love the RFR I played, and I havent seen a DY in person.
RFR, of course. DY is nice, but very common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
I have never thought of the RG as having loose tension campared to a strat.
Me neither. Both are 25.5" scale instruments. I had 10's on my old RG3120 (it came like that) and when changing to 9's the difference in tension was huge.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Its wierd. When I played the RFR, the tension was eqaul to that of my strat. Infact, the RFR felt perfect! But the 1570 I had, and the 370 I have, the tension is much looser. No matter what string gauge I've tried (Dadarrio 9's and 10's), the tension remained the same
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
there is no such thing as a shredding guitar. If you like strats get yourself a Yngwie strat and shred away.
I know that, I just mean a guitar with atleast 24 frets, incredible fret access and a thin neck.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:31 PM

It's funny you should say that about the string tension. I've got a strat (25.5") and an RG2550 (25.5"). The strat is strung with the GHS ZW set (10-60) and the RG is strung with a 10-52 set. The low three strings are identical in gauge, but the RG does feel like the tension is less. I've attributed that to the floating bridge - when I bend notes the bridge pulls forward, probably making it feel like there's less tension. I'm sure if the trem was stiffer it would feel like the tension was higher.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Hmm. I love RFR, but I love DY also. Especially when all dolled up to look liek a fake JEM.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VcX0Y-YkzCY
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 08:57 PM

Also, maybe because the bridge is floating, there are ways to stop the bar from floating so you can dive the bar down only if you wanted it to.

I had my bridge floating on my strat once (when I got it), I set it up not to float (only to dive down) and the difference in the strings and tension was very noticable. The strings were looser (also, the guitar had 9's on them before I set the guitar up and put 10's on them).

Don't know if this helps.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 09:08 PM

Reviews: 16

Try a S series with a ZR trem. The trem doesn't come up when you bend a string. At least mine don't.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post

Try a S series with a ZR trem. The trem doesn't come up when you bend a string. At least mine don't.
Heh, I used to own one. An S2170fb to be exact. It was nice, but not for me.

And for blocking the trem, I'm a whammy whore, for lack of better words

I've decided on the RG20. I just want to find a DY on ****. And get pink and green pups and green knobs. Fake 777dy style. I liek it.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Heh, I used to own one. An S2170fb to be exact. It was nice, but not for me.

And for blocking the trem, I'm a whammy whore, for lack of better words

I've decided on the RG20. I just want to find a DY on ****. And get pink and green pups and green knobs. Fake 777dy style. I liek it.
Not exactly block the trem, just block it from pulling up etc (but if you like pulling the bar up, don't worry about blocking it), just tighten the springs I guess.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Dee

Quote:
Its wierd. When I played the RFR, the tension was eqaul to that of my strat. Infact, the RFR felt perfect! But the 1570 I had, and the 370 I have, the tension is much looser. No matter what string gauge I've tried (Dadarrio 9's and 10's), the tension remained the same
Yeah, weird. As mentioned above, the only thing I can think of is the floating bridge making it feel like there's less tension.

Quote:
I know that, I just mean a guitar with atleast 24 frets, incredible fret access and a thin neck.
Fret access on the RG20th isn't so good. Access is so much better with the AANJ. Wouldn't you rather go for an RG with AANJ instead?

Quote:
Hmm. I love RFR, but I love DY also. Especially when all dolled up to look liek a fake JEM.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VcX0Y-YkzCY
That's exactly what I don't like! I say keep the RG550 how it is. If you want a JEM, save up for one. Be proud of the RG550!

Tags
floyd rose , fret access , john petrucci , locking tuners , string gauges , string tension , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode