Okay, I have an RG but.... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Okay, I have an RG but....

Hey!

Because my JEM is in the shop, I kinda played around with my old RG, replaced the strings and oiled the fretboard. I took off the board and had a peek at the place where the screws go to connect it to the body. Well it says RG-550. Good. I know now what the RG I have. But the thing is, there is no guitar matching it in the ibanez catalogue on the website. Well, it starts with the fretboard which has rosewood but on the site the only RG-550 has a maple one. Second, the color. Mine is kind of red fading into a kinda yellowish orange, the website only has black. THird the pick-ups: I have V1 (neck) s1 (single) v2 (bridge). Maybe it's just cause it's an old geetar but still it is kinda strange, don't you think? Anyway, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

See ya,

Fabe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 11:03 AM

If this guitar has the old style neck joint, the answer is quite simple. It is a RG570FM (1991-ish). The RG550 designation refers more to the neck shape (wizard) than the actual model number. The RG550 necks are usually all maple, although in the old catalogs, it is said that the black RG550 comes with rosewood (now it comes with maple). It is not uncommon for RG560s, 550s, and 570s to have "RG550" stamped at the neck heel.

Cheers,
Butch
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 11:16 AM

What does your serial number read on the back of the headstock?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 11:43 AM

My RG550, 1989 model is a black one with a rosewood fretboard (and the block heel) but it does state the model on the back of the headstock. Also, don't all RG550s have a pickguard as opposed to the 570s, which don't have one. And Ibanez had the RG550EX series last year which were pretty much RG550s with a Lo-Pro Edge and a rosewood fretboard with sharktooth inlays. Afaik the RG550 refers to the pickup configuration and the pickguard, not the neck since the Wizard necks are used in several different models. Of course it's possible that some Wizard necks (that have RG550 stamped on the heel) are used with different models..

Anyway, if it has a pickguard and an Edge bridge it's propably a old RG550.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 11:59 AM

I thought that the RG550 designated the pickup route and overall appearance, as opposed to the neck shape. I was under the impression that all of the RG series had the Wizard neck (at least up until they introuduced the Wizard II).

-RG550: H-S-H route, (usually) maple board, dot inlays
-RG560: H-S-S route, rosewood board, dot inlays
-RG570: H-S-H route, rosewood board, dot inlays
-RG770: H-S-H route, maple board, sharkfin inlays

Of course, we know that Ibanez likes to do runs of guitars that prevent the above generalizations from being true 100% of the time, but that's pretty much how the Ibanez rep that I used to work with explained it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 12:18 PM

I was not referring to the guitar itself. Your listing for the routes/pickup configurations is correct. However, with the necks having the same profile, only one model number is stamped on the heel. The RG560 and 570 necks are identical to the 550 with the exception of the fingerboard.

I was not referring to the body, I was referring to the neck profile. If a 560 or 570 neck was broken, it would not be unusual to replace it with a 550 PROFILE neck in rosewood. Almost all of the 570, 50, and 550 necks with the old type heel are stamped 550 on the heel.

I apologize for the confusion.

Cheers,
Butch
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 12:27 PM

Cool! Thanks for the added info, Butch. Good stuff to know!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I checked the serial on the headstock: F051086
But I don't have a pickguard. THis is quite strange. I think I'll never know what rg this is ; )

But at least I have an idea what it is supposed to be . So the pickups v1 s1 and v2 are very old I guess, right, because all newer RG's have v7 and v8? I love how my fretboard has a new color after I used the oil

Cheers,

Fabe

P.S.: Dot inlays btw.
P.P.S.: Edge Trem. I forget
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I think Butch is right, if you've got a orange/red burst finish and no pickguard, a rosewood board with dot inlay, you've almost certainly got a 1990 RG570FM. Great guitar in it's own right

The V1 and V2 pickups went frm the RG500 series in the mid 90's and were replaced by the V7 and V8, just a more modern pair of pickups rather than a "better" one in my opinion

Enjoy your RG till your JEM comes home, and even then don't neglect it
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 07:12 PM

All original-heel 5xx series necks have "550" stamped on them, usually followed by the letter R or M indicating which fretboard material they have.

RG5xxs were offered from the factory with either maple or rosewood fingerboards.

Don't forget that there was an RG750, and RG760.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 08:05 PM

Take a pic with your digital camera or a friends, and find someone who has the 1990 Ibanez catalogue, and send the pic to them. That should help narrow it down, but I'm with Jono I think it's a RG570 since there is no pickguard, but I'd still doublecheck if I were you
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 12:34 AM

Also, RG770DX's had the maple fretboard, regular RG770's have rosewood..

An RG550 with a rosewood board was called an RG550-R in catalogs, btw..

Of course, all this goes out the window with RG7xx series necks, my RG750's neck has 'WALRJ-T24" stamped on it.. 'W' is probably Wizard, 'R' is rosewood, 'J' is Japan, 'T' for sharkTeeth, 24 frets, etc.. I wonder what the 'A' and 'L' are?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 12:38 AM
Vendor

Wizard Angled Locking Rosewood is all I'm sure of, what the J and T stand for
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 12:42 AM

Now that I think about it, 'J' is probably 'Jumbo' for the frets.. I pretty sure the 'T' is for the Sharktooth inlay, though..
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I think I'll stick to the RG-570 . I don't have a digital camera, so I can't make any pictures.
I really can't wait till my JEM returns... It's strange, I think the RG needs a setup, because after I use my whammy a little it goes out of tune. Strange...You guys know what could be wrong? Maybe I'm just spoiled from my JEM's lo-pro Edge, but still...

Fabe

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , edge bridge , edge trem , ibanez catalog , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , neck joint , neck shape , pro edge , rosewood board , rosewood fingerboard , rosewood fretboard , rosewood neck , sharkfin inlays , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode