An old 540R-ish build take 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By stratoskier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

An old Radius-style build: take 2

Those that have been around this forum a long time may vaguely remember the monstrosity I put together 8-10 years ago. It started as some kind of strange strat-like body I picked up in an auction. Nothing on it was standard -- the routing, the neck pocket, the trem cavity -- everything was off. I should have run away as soon as I figured that out. Instead I re-routed, cut, shaped and sanded it to vaguely resemble a Radius body. Then, for some reason I can't fathom, I covered it with the most god-awful ugly fabric imaginable. The idea was to use it as an ultralight travel guitar that no one in their right mind would steal. The problem was that it was so friggin ugly that no one in their right mind would travel with it either. OK, so here's a pic in its former life:

When I posted that here on Jemsite, one of the more memorable comments was "Holy Mother of God". Anyway, this thing sat around for years in that incarnation. Occasionally, I'd pick it up and be amazed at just how good it played and sounded. Those are Dimazio pups, Wilkinson VS100 bridge, locking tuners, a real Ibanez Roadstar neck. I finally decided to give it another chance. So I sanded it down and repainted it in Krylon "Island Splash." I rather like it now. In fact, I've been playing it daily. I don't know what that Dimarzio pup is (no markings, but maybe an old Distortion) but it's a great sound. So here it is:

DaniJem and Tuga666 like this.

Last edited by stratoskier; 09-23-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 01:37 PM

Re: An old 540R-ish build take 2

That looks awesome! Great job!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 05:52 PM

Very nice. I give you credit for all that work. I would have left the headstock natural, but that's picking nits.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments.

One thing is for sure -- I will never do that much work on a body ever again. This one just became a bit of an obsession because it bothered me to see it in its mega-ugly state. It was a rescue intervention. Naturally, my daughter liked it better the old way -- it reminded her of Gramma's couch. But we know that guitars are not supposed to remind anyone of their Gramma's couch. That's not natural.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:27 AM

Awesome job! I like the blue color you used... although it looks more like the newer JS body shape to me. I've never seen a Roadstar neck with the newer style pointy headstock on it. Was it a Blazer neck?

My best playing/sounding guitar is a Bullet strat body that I bolted an '86 Roadstar II neck on to, used an HSS pickguard with a Duncan JB and two Hot Stacks from an old Jackson Soloist.

Cool project, dude!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I've never seen a Roadstar neck with the newer style pointy headstock on it. Was it a Blazer neck?
Thanks! The body shape is sort of a mix of JS and Radius -- I had to cater to the original shape when I re-contoured it and that required some adjustment.

Good catch on the headstock shape. One of my many misguided phases along my Ibanez odyssey was buying up several 1984 Roadstar necks and re-shaping the headstock to match the newer pointy style. If you look at the 84 catalogs, you'll find that in that one year they transitioned to an oversized paddle-like headstock that was large enough to cut down to the modern shape. Although those oversized headstocks were pretty ugly, in retrospect that was still kind of a dumb thing to do. I think I only did that to 3 of them. Oh well.

BTW -- the reason I bought up those Roadstar necks is that I think they're great necks. I much preferred them to the newer, thinner maple board necks that could be found on the net.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
Thanks! The body shape is sort of a mix of JS and Radius -- I had to cater to the original shape when I re-contoured it and that required some adjustment.

Good catch on the headstock shape. One of my many misguided phases along my Ibanez odyssey was buying up several 1984 Roadstar necks and re-shaping the headstock to match the newer pointy style. If you look at the 84 catalogs, you'll find that in that one year they transitioned to an oversized paddle-like headstock that was large enough to cut down to the modern shape. Although those oversized headstocks were pretty ugly, in retrospect that was still kind of a dumb thing to do. I think I only did that to 3 of them. Oh well.

BTW -- the reason I bought up those Roadstar necks is that I think they're great necks. I much preferred them to the newer, thinner maple board necks that could be found on the net.

I've noticed that some of the Roadstar headstocks seemed larger, kind of like some Strat headstocks, but never knew the details. That's a cool idea though... the new Ibanez look with the perfect feel of the Roadstar neck. I recently picked up another Roadstar II with 3 single coils, just because I love the way the necks feel. The Roadstar II body shape was pretty cool too, just tough to get new pickguards to fit them. Great job on that guitar though!

Tags
fabric , radius

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode