Old Dude needs references... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Smile Old Dude needs references...

I've been here a long time and done my own alterations as far as pickups and stuff, but this is something different and outta my league. I see all the banners and stuff up on top of this page with all these custom painters and inlay stuff.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has experience with anyone who's pulled and replaced a fretboard on a 1077XL. I want to put an ebony (bound like the rosewood it has now) one on it and have it inlaid with Jem pyramids. I thought an ebony board with the bright colors of the 777 pyramid would be really nice. This 1077XL is a project and I plan on changing alot of it. So this is the beginning of a long process. Just looking for any experiences.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 03:32 AM

Re: Old Dude needs references...

its often cheaper (similar price) to get a whole new neck.
I have been adverse to changing boards up until recently due to the time it takes but I have done a few.
you best and cheapest option be may be to get a board and inlay set from the bay and have a tech fit it.
a tech should know how to heat off a board and replace + refret.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
its often cheaper (similar price) to get a whole new neck.
I have been adverse to changing boards up until recently due to the time it takes but I have done a few.
you best and cheapest option be may be to get a board and inlay set from the bay and have a tech fit it.
a tech should know how to heat off a board and replace + refret.
Hmm...thanx for the reply boss! My whole reason for going this route is that I like the how this particular neck feels and I've already tried the "build a neck" idea...nobody seems to be able to guarantee they can match up what I have. Plus, I like my Ibanez logo...lol Seems having a neck built would take out the headstock matching the body. That and the 27" scale for some reason locally throws people. (Hence my reasons for reaching out to you guys online.)

I'm pretty new to this, so I don't know that I have all the info. I assumed all these guys with logo'd custom necks were just having old necks changed. Guess it's something to think about.

As far as the refret, lol... I've been to several places in my area for refrets and their work is not something I want a repeat of...lol

Maybe I'm up a creek here...lol

Thanks again for your time in replying Jaden.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 05:40 AM

sorry to hear no decent tech's in your area man
Mail order refret ?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:56 AM

You can replace fretboards successfully; I've done it to quite a few necks in my time. The tutorial on the project guitar site is the best place to start, and you really want to practice on some cheap necks before you do it to one that's worth something. Your biggest problem could be getting a board that's slotted at 27" scale - I've not come across any suppliers that sell slotted boards at anything except the standard scale lengths. When I did my 8-string at 28.5" scale I had to mark and slot it myself, which again is possible, but takes a bit of time, skill and patience. All possible, but not easy lol.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

this is not looking good...lol Thanks guys.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:52 PM

Do This: www.jetfretz.com I played one of their refretted guitars at NAMM and thought it was great. No loss on a neck that needs that kind of work anyway.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Do This: www.jetfretz.com I played one of their refretted guitars at NAMM and thought it was great. No loss on a neck that needs that kind of work anyway.
Thanks for the idea, but no. I don't feel any need to change the feel of my guitar from scalloped or taller frets or whatever from time to time. Not only that, that just looks weird to me...

But again, I appreciate the reply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode