Old Edge versus New Edge - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Old Edge versus New Edge

Hey guys and gals. Long time visitor, first post. Start off by saying that this is a great site. Ok enough rump smooching. Big question of the day. I am building an RG frankenstien. It has a 570 body and a 550 neck and thusfar everything is going together well. So I am now at the point where i must pick a bridge. As most of you know the RG5xx had the older Edge model trems. I know that the Edge and the Lo Pro are interchangable so i am leaning towards a lo pro. But now there is the Edge Pro. So which do i choose. Yes i know that i will have to reroute the body for the edge pro but that is not a problem since it still has to be routed anyway and painted. And if i do go with the pro where do i get templates? So are there really any advantages to the edge pro? Is it worth the hassle? And when i need a new trem will i sitll be able to find new edges or am i just going to have to reroute and modify the body later after it is painted? So there it is. Let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:38 AM

Re: Old Edge versus New Edge

Old Edge ... only because you can buy the Intonation Tool for it.

I've yet to see anyone offering the it for the New Edge yet.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:45 AM

The Edge Pro won't intonate properly in a route for an older Edge/TRS/OFR/Whatever. The whole bridge is shifted around. The saddles are moved forward and the anchors are moved back. So using it in a guitar with a normal rout is generally a Bad Idea™.

I'd prefer the old Edge anyway since it had hte locking posts.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:23 AM

If you have to buy the new Edge Pro trem (aftermarket) it's not cost efficient.
They are whoppingly expensive. You might want to have look at lo-pro.....plenty of them on evil*bay....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBird31
I'd prefer the old Edge anyway since it had hte locking posts.
could you explain the difference regarding the posts? I have a RG with an edge and I saw an edge pro in guitar center. I didn't pay attention to the post part.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 05:02 PM
dex

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/stud_mod_03.htm

Thanx Rich - makes explaining stuff much easyer.

ilia
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:05 PM

One other diff I've noticed between the Edge and Edge Pro is that the knife edges are at a different angle compared to the surface of the bridge that your hand comes into contact with. The edge pro's is set up so that surface is generally flat, parallel with the RG body, while the Edge is set up at a slight angle. There's a sharp corner on both bridges, near where it meets up with the posts, on the bass side. On the Edge, because the bridge is set up at a little bit of an angle, this sharp corner is down very close to the body, and unobtrusive. With the edge pro, since it's parallel, this sharp corner is raised up a bit more, a bit more in the way, by comparison. Noticeably, irritatingly more. It's wearing a hole in my hand. (exacerbated by a burr that's happened to appear mysteriously somehow on one of my edge-equipped guitars. Must've banged it on something.) Reluctant to file this corner down on my RG8670, but not wanting a hole in my hand either. Seems to me like this corner should be a bit more rounded off right from the factory.

Am I the only one who's noticed this?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 11:51 PM

i prefer the Edge Pro's:

1. Smooth/ rounded overall design, makes palm placement very comfy
2. String saddles that require no minute trem blocks + the capacity to fit the whole ball-end in

Tags
edge pro trem , equipped guitar , intonation tool , string saddle , trem block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode