Old Ibanez project reincarnated - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Old Ibanez project reincarnated

I know I've posted about this old guitar before, but I finally got it "finished"!

This is what it looked like when I bought it back in '87, my first guitar, a 1986 RG110. Great little guitar and I loved the neck.

I got an old Les Paul a few years later and thought I'd refinish it and make it better, solid bridge & filling the trem cavity, adding another pickup and switch, etc. Turned out to be a big mistake. The finish was super thick and the wood underneath wasn't all that pretty, so I used a dark rosewood stain. The oil stained neck felt wonderful! The tune-o-matic bridge I had for it did not work out and I was left with gaping 1/2" holes. Finally a couple months ago I put a cheap bridge on it just to see if I could get it playable. Turned out ok, but was ugly when up close... thanks to the ignorance of my youth.

I couldn't find a quality bridge that would fit up against the pickguard without butchering it. After pricing custom made pickguards and looking at weird options, I decided to just buy a cheap strat body and bolt the neck up to it. This gives all the options in the world, you can get anything in any configuration for a strat body. Ended up buying a solid alder loaded HSS Squire Bullet body off the 'bay for about $60 and after a little neck pocket work it bolted right up. Set it all up and it played pretty well! The old neck was still straight and felt awesome.

I had used the old stock Ibanez Super 70 bridge and the Squire single coils. Sounded ok, but the Squire pickups left a lot to be desired. I then loaded two Ibanez S1's in the neck and middle and it made it a lot better. They matched up well with the Super 70... but it didn't quite have the "kick" I wanted when switched to the bridge. So I picked up a set of Seymour Duncans taken out of a Jackson Soloist. A JB bridge and two STKS1N Classic Stack noiseless singles. Loaded them into a new pickguard today and wired it so the bridge is split when in the 4th position. I can't deal with the volume knob being so close to the strings on the strat pickguard, so I just put a small DPDT switch in place of the volume pot, installed 500k volume and tone pots in the two lower positions, added Orange Drop tone cap and a treble bleed cap across the volume pot. The DPDT switch grounds out the extra coils in the classic stacks to make them true single coils when flipped.

Turns out to be a very good setup! This old guitar is a monster now, rivals my nicest guitars in playability and sound. Action is wonderful! My grandson put the final touches on it when he got hold of a vinyl number set and added his touch. They'll peel right off... but I thought I would leave them on for now.

Not sure what to call it... an Ibastrat? A Squibanez? I can at least call it finished after 20+ years of hauling it around and storing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Old Ibanez project reincarnated

That's

Freakin

AWESOME!!!!

I love every bit of it. You took that which, IMO, are the very best parts of some of the most influential guitars ever made and turned them into an elegant looking beast. If anything, I'd call it "The Mongrel".

Seriously, way to go man. I hope your going to post some sound clips of it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 12:32 PM

Well you can call it awesome man! very nice project man i really like the pickguard.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys... It's a sentimental old thing, but turned out surprisingly well! "The Mongrel"... I like it. It may be old and cobbled together, but it has teeth. I'll try to do a sound test video some time. I like the JB/Classic Stack set, sounds great.

I wasn't sure about the pickguard. I got the tortoise shell one thinking it would match the headstock... well, it's sort of close. The white one looked ok, but was cheap and flimsy.

I need to get an Ibanez logo on the headstock. Right now the only thing that says "Ibanez" is the neck bolt plate, unless you recognize the headstock shape. Can you even get the old Roadstar logos anywhere? I see some RG style logos for sale, and would probably have to cut off the swoosh and just use the name, but should I get white, silver, or black?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 07:14 PM

Reviews: 120

I'm not a tortoise shell fan, but that is looking pretty killer. Great work!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Thanks guys... It's a sentimental old thing, but turned out surprisingly well! "The Mongrel"... I like it. It may be old and cobbled together, but it has teeth. I'll try to do a sound test video some time. I like the JB/Classic Stack set, sounds great.

I wasn't sure about the pickguard. I got the tortoise shell one thinking it would match the headstock... well, it's sort of close. The white one looked ok, but was cheap and flimsy.

I need to get an Ibanez logo on the headstock. Right now the only thing that says "Ibanez" is the neck bolt plate, unless you recognize the headstock shape. Can you even get the old Roadstar logos anywhere? I see some RG style logos for sale, and would probably have to cut off the swoosh and just use the name, but should I get white, silver, or black?
Paint the headstock black and let your grandson have at it with the stickers........that's what I would do...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks LP - I'm normally not into the tortoise shell thing either... reminds me of the old Fender picks. My dream is to someday own a guitar with a pearloid pickguard... probably would have looked better.

RGT - I hadn't thought of that! A black headstock would look great. Then I could give my grandson all the letters to spell Ibanez and let him put them wherever he wants on the headstock. Thanks for the great idea man!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I hope your going to post some sound clips of it.
Recording/tone test of my old project guitar... tried to find a fairly quiet backing track so you can hear it clean. I'm not very good, so don;t get your hopes up... lol.

https://soundcloud.com/fireeagle-2/ibastrat-tone-test

Ibanez Roadstar II neck, alder Squire Bullet Strat body, Seymour Duncan Classic Stacks in the neck and middle, and a JB in the bridge. Modified to have a single volume and single tone w/coil tap switch for the Classic Stacks. 500k pots, .047 Orange Drop cap for tone and a .033pf treble bleed cap. I tried to keep the tone honest and only used a little boost and a little delay, plus a TS9 overdrive on the JB near the end. Ran out of backing track and didn't get the 4th position with the JB and middle split, but it sounds sort of like position 2 with a bit more treble.

Pretty versatile setup!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 09:46 PM

Hey man, nice work! I can really appreciate that you did the work to keep what you wanted and at the same time really create something custom... nice job, enjoy it!! DM
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Thanks LP - I'm normally not into the tortoise shell thing either... reminds me of the old Fender picks. My dream is to someday own a guitar with a pearloid pickguard... probably would have looked better.

RGT - I hadn't thought of that! A black headstock would look great. Then I could give my grandson all the letters to spell Ibanez and let him put them wherever he wants on the headstock. Thanks for the great idea man!
I think that would look awesome!!

Thanks for the clips...... the guitar sounds really nice and I really enjoy your playing. I'd like to hear some of the same soloing you did on the clean neck section, but overdriven....... a lot!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
Hey man, nice work! I can really appreciate that you did the work to keep what you wanted and at the same time really create something custom... nice job, enjoy it!! DM
Thanks... It was fun to put together. Having it turn out to play so nice was surprising, and then lucked out on a good pickup set. So far, so good...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I think that would look awesome!!

Thanks for the clips...... the guitar sounds really nice and I really enjoy your playing. I'd like to hear some of the same soloing you did on the clean neck section, but overdriven....... a lot!
Thanks RGT... I'm trying to get myself to back off the overdrive all the time... lol! The hot 80's guitars are in my blood and I usually default to lots of distortion, chorus, and delay. The Stacks sound better without the coil tapped when using overdrive... but I'm most impressed at how wonderful and bright they get when split. Liking the JB too, with the OD amp channel with a TS9 sounds awesome. Ha ha... a poor mans "Soloist".

Thanks again for the great idea on the headstock. Next string change...

Tags
ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode