Old RG versus RG Prestige - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Dee

Old RG versus RG Prestige

I managed to play on the RG2550E today in a music store, and comparing the feel of these newer Prestige RG's to the older ones, I noticed quite a drastic difference. I am kinda hoping this was a one-off and I put it down to being just a badly set-up shop guitar, but it's not that it played badly or anything. What I noticed was there was a strange lack of tension (yes, the guitar was tuned to pitch), almost like playing a Gibson scale guitar (24.75"). It seemed to lack the "snap" of older RG's. Does anyone else notice a difference like this or did I get a bad example?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 11:14 PM

Re: Old RG versus RG Prestige

Well, I haven't played any of the new higher end RGs (x5xx) apart from an RGA121 (which was quite nice), but iirc the main difference is the neck is no longer that superslim wizard or super wizard, and the trem is different too now, I guess (no longer the original Edge or Lo-pro edge.) Those probably account for the difference, but it's strange that you would experience as if it felt like a shorter scale length. How did you check the pitch? At the guitar center I go to, it's common to find them tuned down a half step (when they are tuned at all) to make them play a bit easier and (I guess) make the strings last a bit longer. They have practically quit carrying Ibanez lately though.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 11:36 PM

Possibly two trem springs instead of three would soften up the feel of the guitar? I gotta say the last RG3120 I played was a far nicer guitar to play than any original Japanese RG I have ever picked up - gorgeous thing, just outrageously expensive here downunder!

Cheers

David
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll
Possibly two trem springs instead of three would soften up the feel of the guitar? I gotta say the last RG3120 I played was a far nicer guitar to play than any original Japanese RG I have ever picked up - gorgeous thing, just outrageously expensive here downunder!

Cheers

David
The rg3120 is a japanese rg just fyi >.>
I agree in some regards the older guitars do play better in general than the newer stuff and thats quite a bit sad.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
The rg3120 is a japanese rg just fyi >.>
I agree in some regards the older guitars do play better in general than the newer stuff and thats quite a bit sad.
I believe he was aware that it is japanese, and just making the comparison with the older style japanese RG's.

I would never go back to the older RG's. I currently own just the one RG (RGT220H) and it is a better guitar in virtually every aspect than the original RG's. It is one of the best playing Ibanez guitars i have ever picked up.
I am also one of the rare breed who prefers the Edge pro bridge to the Lo-pro.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Dee

The RGT isn't really what I was trying to compare, it'd be more like the RG550 & RG2550. I guess the RGT being a thru-neck would probably feel different to a bolt-on RG neck anyway?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeswift
The RGT isn't really what I was trying to compare, it'd be more like the RG550 & RG2550. I guess the RGT being a thru-neck would probably feel different to a bolt-on RG neck anyway?
Which is whay i made the point about the trem. That said i was never tempted to purchase any RG until last year. i know the RG550 has a loyal (and seemingly growing) fan base, but i was never really interested in owning one. I did like the 2550, except the colour, when i tried one in Ishibashi a couple of months ago. My friend was trying out an SZ prior to purchase and i picked one up to jam along with him. Nice guitar and certainly good value in my opinion, but perhaps not better (but certainly not worse) than the 550. But as i say, i prefer the new bridge.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 05:08 AM

being a local setup guy, i happen to try many old and new RGs. i do own many old-style RGs (i mean old, i.e. 1-pc Wizard, square neck/body joint etc). the main difference i feel everytime i play a new RG is that they are way way sturdier, more solid especially the neck/body joint, they just won't move even under Vai-ish abuse. the fretboard is perfect, i never had to level one. the old RGs are less sturdy and they often need a nice fretboard level, ok they're old but i'd bet that it's not just a matter of age. another huge difference i feel, better, i hear, is the sound. the old RGs sounds twice a new Prestige. i don't think it's just a matter of age of the woods, i think that the 1-pc neck and the square neck/body joint give a huge help for a better sound overall. i'm talking about unplugged sound, of course. i think that these new 3-pc or 5-pc necks just don't let the sound running back & forth to the body, in fact they don't vibrate on your belly. that's important sound-wise, to me. the old RGs just scream and they deliver kicks on your belly when you strum them. also, i agree the new necks aren't as slim as the good ol' Wizards. i love the old Wizard feel, seems like Ibanez made it after my hands measurements. oh and i prefer the Edge trem, they're smoother than the the Edge-Pro, imho, so much that often when you strum hardly it reacts and starts fluttering by itself, oh i love it!
did i say i prefer the old RGs?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 07:20 AM

It's in the setup. I've got an '89 and an '04 RG & Prestige and they both play equally well.

IMHO, there is a subtle difference in the finish of the '04 neck, but this only improves the playability.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
It's in the setup. I've got an '89 and an '04 RG & Prestige and they both play equally well.
nope, i setup all the guitars pretty much the same (except when clients have their own specs) and they do not sound the same at all. there's a huge difference between the old RGs and the new Prestiges (unplugged). and i'm talking about sound, not playing.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 08:14 AM

Reviews: 13

I hate the Prestige head stock and prefer the older 'Ibanez' logo for looks. I know that has nothing to do with the sound however...... Just my two cents worth.

Wolfram
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Dee

I'm more annoyed about the fact that they don't match the headstock colour to the body now, rather than the Prestige headstock logo, etc. Just putting a generic black one on most guitars seems a bit "cheap".

Anyway, cosmetics aside, it's about the feel, and I just can't put my finger on why they feel so different. I mean, they're built from the same materials (basswood/maple/rosewood), have the same scale length, etc... I don't get it. Maybe I just did get a bad example, but maybe Nuno has a point too when he mentioned the 1-pc neck. Coming from playing a 1988 RG and an a 1990 RG, to my first try on a Prestige, is just strange. I expected it to feel familiar. Sure, the necks aren't as slim, but there's only about 1mm difference in the thickness now. If anything, a thicker neck should sustain better anyway, that's one good thing.

I wonder also if it's the same with new vs. old Jems? I haven't played one since 1990!
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 10:53 AM

I've owned a Jem7v before I sold it cos credit cards are up my ass and I acquire the jem77bfp year 91, the jem 77bfp are better in terms of playability and sound, the feel of the neck is just amazing
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 10:55 AM

I'm not so sure. I had a shot of an old late 80's/early 90's RG550 a while back and, apart from the maple fretboard, I thought it sounded and played fairly similar to my 6 month-old RG2550. I don't think Ibanez's quality has worsened or bettered - IMO it has always been, and still is, and will continue to be, a quality guitar. Certainly a lot better than much of the American pish that the guitar stores are full of.

I do agree with the point about the headstock colours. I think it's something Ibanez should look seriously at. Oh, and some "interesting" body colours like Desert Yellow and Loch Ness Green would we welcome too
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 12:29 PM

I miss the "old" style thin RG necks. The Prestige necks are good, no doubt about that. But my preference is for the previous style.

Tags
david mccarroll , edge pro bridge , edge trem , guitar collection , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jem neck , jpm neck , les paul , loch ness green , locking bridge , locking nut , locking nuts , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , maple fret , maple fretboard , music store , prestige necks , prestige wizard , prestige wizard neck , pro edge , steel wool , thicker necks , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode