old RGs or modern RG prestiges? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

old RGs or modern RG prestiges?

hi guys.. im thinking of buying a new guitar, which is either a secondhand RG5XX/RG7XX or a new RG prestige. which would you guys recommend? i heard nowadays, the prestige models have a less comfortable feel than the old RGs... and the necks are slightly thicker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 01:57 PM

Reviews: 12
Re: old RGs or modern RG prestiges?

Quote:
hi guys.. im thinking of buying a new guitar, which is either a secondhand RG5XX/RG7XX or a new RG prestige. which would you guys recommend? i heard nowadays, the prestige models have a less comfortable feel than the old RGs... and the necks are slightly thicker.
Though they're called RG's for a reason, yes, the difference's are there but not better or worse. Good luck finding a second-hand Non-AANJ RG5xx/RG7xx in spectacular condition with hardly any major damage/fractures. Prestige RG neck's are well-built, perhaps much more stable than the original wizard. It does come with an extra mm of thickness to the original Wizard spec profile; I wouldn't say it's uncomfortable but "beefier" but not as thick & round like a Wizard II. The neck's are also silky smooth whereas the older RG's have this thick coat that get's sticky over time...
Unless you get an RG20th or an RG770 reissue, you get the best of both worlds

Reg
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 08:44 PM

I would choose a prestige.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:53 AM

Try before you buy and see if you like the new Prestiges. Speaking from experience though I can say you can't go wrong with a new RG Prestige. Would recommend thoroughly either the RG2550 or RG2570.

'87
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

heard things that rg550 > prestige though...
i tried 3 prestiges, but they seem to have high action...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 04:08 AM

Don't worry about the action....that's just set-up, dude. That is not characteristic of Prestige RG.

It depends mainly on the neck. The new Prestiges are 5 piece. I had a Prestige from 2003 but it was a 3 piece neck. Big difference. My personal preference is a slightly wider neck. For this reason I wil always go with a new (2005 onwards) Prestige RG.

However, if neck is not an issue then the older RGs with the original Edge are great....RFR, DY???
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 05:00 AM

Yer true that... I love the newer 5pce but the edge / lo-pro are the plus of the older models. Having said that.... I've had no trouble at all with my edge pro from my Jem. Worst case you could get the locking stud upgrade.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

whats the difference between a 5 piece and 3 piece? the prestiges play very nice though the action was high but the neck was thicker than the 20th rg550 reissue that i tried.

what do you guys mean by "the original wizard neck is unstable"??

im into maple fretboards by the way.. and the rg550 and rg770dx just look SO DAMN GOOD!!

and did you say "RFR, DY?"?
i say BOTH!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buluketek View Post
whats the difference between a 5 piece and 3 piece? the prestiges play very nice though the action was high but the neck was thicker than the 20th rg550 reissue that i tried.
The 5pc has 2 extra thin pieces of wood (walnut, thanks Rich ) that make up the thickness of the neck. So you'll see 2 thin parallel lines running the length of the neck (at the back). Each line is counted as 1 piece. ie. Maple, Walnut, Maple, Walnut, Maple = 5 pieces

In the pics below you don't see that...it's actualy 3 pieces of maple glued together to make the neck.

Again, forget the high action, it does not come as a characteristic of the guitar. Play a good set-up one then decide....you might prefer the thinner wizard, who knows

Last edited by Batchimp RG; 09-11-2008 at 03:37 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 12:53 PM
MFB

That's a 3 piece? Looks like just one big hunk of wood
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 01:08 PM

Reviews: 12

That's a 3 piece alright... if ya looked closely towards the headstock area, the "middle" stripe is darker than the outer "stripes"...
I think the darker wood stripes on a 5-piece Prestige's are walnut... Technically, they're 7-pieces towards the headstock.

Reg
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 01:11 PM

sometimes it's not always easy to tell, skunk stripes are a big giveaway in the neck construction, i'd say go for whichever you prefer i think you would find the new prestige are quite a bit more expensive than if you were to find a 2nd hand reissue 20th etc.
My guitar tutor had this edwards ESP that had a 7 piece neck! was awesome although it felt like marble
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:03 PM

I have an original 1991 RG 550 and a prestige 2550. IMO the older RG feels alot better to me, of course I have played it since 1991, but I have had about 30 plus guitars since '91 and for some reason I have never traded, swapped or sold the RG 550. Don't know why, I just can bare to lose it. It does have the cracks in the neck pocket (clearcoat) and the "v" crack by the locking nut screws, but it hasn't been adjusted or setup in 10 years and it still play PERFECT. Neck hasn't moved one mm. The prestige is butter, neck feels great, solid build, I expect it to last just as long, and be just as reliable. You really can't go wrong, both guitars are top shelf buys, I wouldn't really worry about it, play both , buy the one that feels right, the quality is going to be about the same.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

yeah.. i think im just gonna get an RG2450 for a safer bet.. or a 20th rg550 if im lucky. 20th reissue is still stable right?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 10:54 PM

Although the newer Prestige Rgs are nice, i've always liked the older RGs, especially the 770s.

Tags
old rg vs prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode