Older "Prestige" Guitars=no truss cover???? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Older "Prestige" Guitars=no truss cover????

Anyone have any insight as to why the hell Ibanez opted to not cover the truss adjustment nut on many of the older Prestige models?
I've got a RG3120 and a RGT3120 with no cover and they lok like butt. Why?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:22 AM
Vendor

Re: Older "Prestige" Guitars=no truss cover????

Because a truss cover is better as case candy than anything functional. Working guitars need constant adjustment as they go from warm to cool to dry to wet environs. A truss cover is just a nuisance that's in the way.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Because a truss cover is better as case candy than anything functional. Working guitars need constant adjustment as they go from warm to cool to dry to wet environs. A truss cover is just a nuisance that's in the way.
Hmmm Well you have a point Although I'm not sure how valid it seems to me. PRS and Gibson have covers as well as most high end guitars. I've done some traveling with my stuff (Cal To Texas and betwixt ) and didn't need to adjust the truss rod at all?? The could have at the VERY least cleaned the hole out. Mine look like someone dug it out with a shovel.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:54 AM
Vendor

My LP Custom's truss cover screw holes were so stripped within a year the cover always stayed in the case. So what looks worse, a missing cover with holes drilled and non finished, or, a finished truss channel, that just isn't perfect?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 08:39 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Rich is correct in that the covers are a nuisance for a player axe but that is certainly not the reason why they left them off. If that were the case no RG550 would ever have shipped with them. LOL. Taking them off and leaving them off is an option best left to the paying customer.

This is another example of Ibanez cost cutting and laziness...they just cut out the expense of an intricate cover that might or might not match the style of the guitar. The most annoying thing is the trussrod cavity is usually messy/sloppy leaving the axe with an unfinished look (as opposed to some other axes with exposed trussrod adjusters in the heel of the neck)... glen

Last edited by jemsite; 12-30-2005 at 08:45 AM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Vendor

cough**bullsh!t.

The most expensive J Customs do not have truss covers but the cheapest Prestige have very nice aluminum covers now instead of the cheap platsic covers they used to.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 10:24 AM
site founder 0% owner

^^ good spin.

it looks unfinished. period. no spin can change that fact. if it were "player reason" as you said then NO MODEL WOULD COME WITH THEM.

maybe the nice covers will be added to new models if enough negative feedback is given and people stop the spin... glen
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Vendor

What *spin*,?! Keep the covers, I'll take them just as they are. [marketting and the design team decide what models they want to be perceived as "real players"]

Looks just horrid doesn't it?!

Puhlease....
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 01:20 PM
site founder 0% owner

more spin.

that is a "player" yet the RG550 was not? ROTFLMAO

take a pic of the JEM90 then lets see how your tap dance goes ...glen
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Vendor

Spin? Like comparing a 98' to a 2005?!?! Right....

I didn't cherry pick, that's the first [new] guitar I grabbed I knew was coverless, an 8270 to be specific.

>>[marketting and the design team decide what models they want to be perceived as "real players"]

[let me know what you didn't understand]
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Vendor

But as requested....

What exactly is the problem now?!

Would you like a little background music for your next song and dance?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:15 PM
site founder 0% owner

they're messy. do a forum search this comes up over and over. there is often crud all in the trussrod.

now, i believe even you can comprehend the stupidity of calling a HAM90 a player over a RG3120 for example ...glen
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:19 PM
Vendor

Yea, that 90th channel looks terrible......

The HAM doesn't have one for the obvious reason, TEXTURE!! [or as part of the design, take your pick]
The old [original] 3120 did NOT have a truss cover if you remember correctly.

Next dance.....
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:21 PM
site founder 0% owner

i didn't say the HAM should have one, just it's a notable offender of messy trussrod. the pic you have you probably spend 10 minutes polishing.

first you bitch about 1988 models now you complain i'm talking about NEWER 3120 models (player axe) that DID have a truss rod cover.

i hope you have a nice new years eve date for dinner & dancing 'cause you're warmed up! ...glen
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Vendor

What a trip. I spent 10 minutes doing what? Polishing the inside of a truss channel? For THIS thread?! Right out of the case, pic, and right back in.

I bitch about you trying to compare 1998 quality control with 2005, and then went ahead and showed you you were talking out of the wrong orafice, again.

That the new 3120 DOES have a cover is just plain stupid, except to you who thinks it should have one obviously.

Tags
jackson guitars , les paul , rod adjustment , truss cover , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , truss rod cover , trussrod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode