Is the OLP MM1 floyd rose good? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Is the OLP MM1 floyd rose good?

I cant afford a EVH ebmm or even the EBMM axis used so would this OLP calm my overbearing cravings for one?
tell me what you can about these?
are they very good quality for the $?
do they sound like a EVH music man?
etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 01:23 AM

Re: Is the OLP MM1 floyd rose good?

there was one at a pawn shop that i played . I didn't get a chance to plug it in but it was a nice guitar for the cash. I liked the maple fret board but didn't like the amber color . I think that the flame top is a photo flame, looked a little fake, it may have just been the way the stain showed up.

anyways if the pickups aren't great the guitar is cheap enough you could invest in a bridge pickup for it.

anyways think they are a good buy at the price .
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2217
there was one at a pawn shop that i played . I didn't get a chance to plug it in but it was a nice guitar for the cash. I liked the maple fret board but didn't like the amber color . I think that the flame top is a photo flame, looked a little fake, it may have just been the way the stain showed up.

anyways if the pickups aren't great the guitar is cheap enough you could invest in a bridge pickup for it.

anyways think they are a good buy at the price .
OLP is now offering one with a real maple top!

http://www.olpguitars.com/olp_guitars/musicman/mm1f.asp
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 03:46 AM

that looks nice. how much are those?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Gex

That tremolo looks like crushed + polished tin.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette6600
that looks nice. how much are those?

$220 shipped
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 12:26 AM

$220 shipped is just ridiculously cheap!

Get the Original Floyd equipped one if you can swing the bucks - looks like a pretty sweet instrument - at that sort of cost you can customise it 'til your hearts content without worrying about hacking away at a valuable instrument.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 12:28 AM

mmmmm... yes - bridge looks a bit like a Lo-TRS - still, cheap as - make a good spare.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 01:46 AM

Hey bro I feel yah...

I too couldn't afford at the time the real deal....

So I ended up snagging a OLP for a fraction of the price.
The tremolo sucked big time so I modified it a bit by sandind down
the back of the neck to a Jem like flatness, changing the
pick ups and placing a real Floyd in her....

She now Rocks and feels sweet...

Go For it!!!! You won't regret it.

Squeeg
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 04:52 AM

Reviews: 34

Agreed,

For $220 you could buy it and shove a schaller floyd in and still have a good guitar
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:08 AM

i have an MM1 with strat style trem that works surprisingly well, takes a big droop to put her out of tune after i put some locking tuners on it. i would play it more but its got loadsa fret wear and isnt worth the money to have it put right!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 12:52 PM

Reviews: 1

Even Ed Roman says on his website that they are pretty decent for the money. And he hates everything!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:40 PM

I took a purple one (for a fellow jemsiter) and once I determined the neck was pretty good, we went ahead with some mods. First, we put a customized Tone Zone in the bridge with an Air Norton in the neck. Both were zebras. Then I put an OFR on it. I put some strategically shaped stealth routes so the Floyd sits dead flush with the body. The whole baseplate is in contact with the body, minus the routes. That's kind of like what Peavey does, but my routes were so tight you can't see them. To balance the height, I routed the neck a good 3/16" deeper, but with a nice angle in the pocket. So now the neck is nice and tight, and the bridge is flush, and the action is dead right. Of course I also routed for a lock nut, top mounted. Rear mounted would have been fine too. With the truss rod adjustment at the heel, the nut area has a lot more wood on it than a typical lock nut guitar.

It's a great guitar. They are more inconsistent than a Korean, so I highly recommend getting one at a store, where they have several to choose from. Or at least a good mail order house with an unconditional return policy. For a beginner who can't tell the difference anyway, surely they're great guitars. But for an experienced player/tech they are a great budget knock-around guitar that can be easily upgraded.

Next up on the bench is re-topping one with a bubinga top!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

good to hear these things guys and BTW
that red OLP posted here looks great man!!!!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5150
Even Ed Roman says on his website that they are pretty decent for the money. And he hates everything!
No he just hates everything he doesn't build "himself" .

Regards

André

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , ebmm axis , floating bridges , fret board , les paul , lock nut , locking tuners , maple fret , maple fret board , peavey wolfgang , peavey wolfgang special , rod adjustment , strat style , tone zone , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , van halen , vintage trem , wolfgang special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode