OLP MM1? is this a good music man EVH copy for the money? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

OLP MM1? is this a good music man EVH copy for the money?

I read through HC reviews and it seems as though many love these?
most say tone wise they OLP and EBMM axis are real close?
any owners of these here? what is you opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 07:29 PM

The HC reviews are less than reliable. I own 5 Axis's, and I've owned an OLP. There is nothing but the grossest similarity in shape that connects them. The OLPs look similar to the Axis/EVH, but the neck shapes are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, and they sound NOTHING alike. The OLP is a $200, Chinese-made guitar - how close do you think it could really be to a $1500 US-made instrument?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 08:21 PM

I would suggest getting a wolfgang special but for a cheap copy the musicmans arent bad, its just the neck overall is a little rough.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 08:43 PM

for $200 you can't go wrong imo.
maybe spend an extra $100 on pickups and a setup and its a good player guitar imo.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi D
The HC reviews are less than reliable. I own 5 Axis's, and I've owned an OLP. There is nothing but the grossest similarity in shape that connects them. The OLPs look similar to the Axis/EVH, but the neck shapes are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, and they sound NOTHING alike. The OLP is a $200, Chinese-made guitar - how close do you think it could really be to a $1500 US-made instrument?
I agree with Jimi D completely: The only thing they have in common is the look. I own an EBMM EVH and played the OLP in the shop; the OLP was a cheap Chinese guitar and (surprise!) played like one. Cool, if that's what you want. Just don't think that you're buying an Axis. They're not similar to each other at all, unfortunately. Basically, you get what you pay for.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 12:13 PM

Guess who had the following idea

http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar...manmod_olp.htm

ROTFLMAO

Regards

André

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 12:42 PM

good idea imo. i'd love to try one, but wouldn't spend that much on one and not from ed
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_cater
good idea imo. i'd love to try one, but wouldn't spend that much on one and not from ed
Exactly

Regards

André

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
Guess who had the following idea

http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar...manmod_olp.htm

ROTFLMAO

Regards

André
I wonder why it says "$449" at the top then you scroll down and it says "$649"? That's not a bad idea though. I have an extra Edge and OFR, I might try it myself!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 04:03 AM

I own 3 mm1 and I have to say that they are one of the best choices that you can take to have a real good guitar at the cheapest price you can think!!!!
I tried the original axis , it plays better , but not so much to justify such difference of price!!!!
In my country a music man axis costs 1800 euro , I payed Olp 165 euro!!
The sound difference is minimal !!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuello
I tried the original axis , it plays better , but not so much to justify such difference of price!!!!
That's a matter of opinion. And in my opinion, the difference in price is completely justified. The OLP may be a decent guitar for the money, but it's still just a really cheap guitar... An Axis is a top quality guitar on all fronts - well worth the very reasonable prices they command... my 2¢
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 09:46 PM

IMO Ed Roman is a friggin' moron. He always flames prs, gibson, g & l, and IBANEZ. He claims that his guitars are better and that should buy them. The guy is an @$$.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontalonis
IMO Ed Roman is a friggin' moron. He always flames prs, gibson, g & l, and IBANEZ. He claims that his guitars are better and that should buy them. The guy is an @$$.
You're not alone in that sentiment, my friend.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 10:58 AM

It makes me wanna throw up the way he raves about his stupid neck mod, seymour duncan, and OFR. The bottom line is: If ibanez, G & L, PRS, and Gibson are so bad then how come they are selling like water in the desert. I just wanna email the guy and give him a piece of my mind. HE MAKES ME SO ANGRY!!!!!!!!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 02:29 PM

Re: OLP MM1? is this a good music man EVH copy for the money?

I have had my piano black Olp mm1 for over 9 years now, I have to say owning several of these guitars over the last 10 years...these have been some of the best playing guitars I've ever owned...and durable ...especially for the price!!!!....made in japan not china... they are also very good base for a fun EVH project guitar..... I've owned 6 so far...and two even came with rare ""for olp"" birdseye maple necks and except for one or two guitars needing a good setup due to extreme climate change in shipping...they have all been very sweet guitars...the only ones im not fond of are the olp mm1f models that have the floating floyd rose trem....with the most ugly trem routing ive ever seen....

Tags
ebmm axis , ebmm evh , neck shape , seymour duncan , wolfgang special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode