OLP MM1FR, Peavey Wolfgang EXP, or Mean Street Exile? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

OLP MM1FR, Peavey Wolfgang EXP, or Mean Street Exile?

Hi everyone -

Looking to pick up either a:

OLP MM1FR
Peavey Wolfgang EXP
Mean Street Exile

Which of these should i go for? Which is better in terms of quality? Has anyone tried all three or actually own all three and can share their personal experience?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 07:43 PM

Re: OLP MM1FR, Peavey Wolfgang EXP, or Mean Street Exile?

I owned a OLP they are by far the best known secret in guitars.. There actually a blast.. Just need to swap the pickups out and bingo your good..

As far as the floyd version of it, I dont know never played one, im sure the trem guys here are going to bash the hell out of it.. But not everyone uses a trem like vai. LMAO..
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 07:53 PM

i have an MM1 without an OFR and it actually stayed in tune perfectly with that cheap POS trem! im sure thats not veyr common for them though!
main criticism is the same as i have for all cheap guitars and that is the frets, they got worn quite a lot in quite a short space of time!
i think i might be quite a heavy player though cos even my RG1527 is showing similar signs after 2 years!!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 10:33 PM

ya i've got one w/o a floyd, just the crappy pos, it stays in tune very well too. (given i don't bash the hell outta it) frets seem fine after a year, neck is all nasty and worn, just like maple should be not bad for only $200.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

So a question for all the olp mm1 users w/o floyd, i guess as long as i don't use the bar it should stay in tune? Not a bar user, but i just don't want it to go out of tune every time i decide to bend a note.

Thanks

Jeff
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 11:06 PM

If you're not a trem guy why not go for the OLP without the Floyd?

I had a MM1 with the Floyd but I wound up pitching it. Ageed on the pickups, but the neck shape and finish is not anything like the Wolfgang, but then again I never played an EXP only a standard.

Don't know much about the Mean Street guitars.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:22 PM

I have an OLP we modded with a Floyd and new pups (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...0MM1%20Modded/) and it's a pretty nice player. There were some issues, like the fret tangs would have shredded your hands if you tried to play fast, but overall, with a little love, it's a nice guitar. I also have a stock Wolfie EXP (was only $400 at the time), and I love it. No mods necessary, even the import pickups were pretty nice. I had planned on changing them when I bought it, but they are great.

So, I think either is well worth it, just the OLP needs a little more love to get it up to speed (I haven't tried the Floyd version, so maybe they've gotten better on some of the small details), but can be a great guitar. But, at the same time, it'll cost a lot less, too. Personally, I'd take either over an Indo or many Korean Ibanez's - and I live and die by Ibanez.

Don't know much about Mean Street, I think there's another thread on those in here somewhere.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpenguins View Post
I have an OLP we modded with a Floyd and new pups (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...0MM1%20Modded/) and it's a pretty nice player. There were some issues, like the fret tangs would have shredded your hands if you tried to play fast, but overall, with a little love, it's a nice guitar. I also have a stock Wolfie EXP (was only $400 at the time), and I love it. No mods necessary, even the import pickups were pretty nice. I had planned on changing them when I bought it, but they are great.

So, I think either is well worth it, just the OLP needs a little more love to get it up to speed (I haven't tried the Floyd version, so maybe they've gotten better on some of the small details), but can be a great guitar. But, at the same time, it'll cost a lot less, too. Personally, I'd take either over an Indo or many Korean Ibanez's - and I live and die by Ibanez.

Don't know much about Mean Street, I think there's another thread on those in here somewhere.

Out of curiousity, was it hard to mod the olp mm1 to have the floyd rose? I would not be able to do it, but is it something i can have done w/o costing an arm and a leg? I ask b/c i prefer the colors available for the mm1 and would give it a try w/o the floyd first. If i decide that i need the floyd, i can have it modded.

Jeff
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclogston View Post
Out of curiousity, was it hard to mod the olp mm1 to have the floyd rose? I would not be able to do it, but is it something i can have done w/o costing an arm and a leg? I ask b/c i prefer the colors available for the mm1 and would give it a try w/o the floyd first. If i decide that i need the floyd, i can have it modded.

Jeff
Well, if you are just adding the Floyd, the hardest part is cutting for the locking nut. Just adding the post holes is relatively easy. But, then you'd probably have to shim the neck a little to get the action down without shimming. The pics I posted show the mod we (okay, my buddy Frank Falbo, a fellow Jemsiter) did to angle the neck pocket to get the action as low as possible. That takes a little time and router skills (which is why I deferred it to Frank - I have none). We also did a light recess underneath the fine tuner finger plate (or whatever it's called) so it wouldn't scratch the body when it rested against it and by the posts so it wouldn't scratch the body when pushed forward. I wanted the bridge not to float, a la EVH. In the end, it's a MACHINE, and was well worth the time we put into it.

Hope that helps...

Dave
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpenguins View Post
Well, if you are just adding the Floyd, the hardest part is cutting for the locking nut. Just adding the post holes is relatively easy. But, then you'd probably have to shim the neck a little to get the action down without shimming. The pics I posted show the mod we (okay, my buddy Frank Falbo, a fellow Jemsiter) did to angle the neck pocket to get the action as low as possible. That takes a little time and router skills (which is why I deferred it to Frank - I have none). We also did a light recess underneath the fine tuner finger plate (or whatever it's called) so it wouldn't scratch the body when it rested against it and by the posts so it wouldn't scratch the body when pushed forward. I wanted the bridge not to float, a la EVH. In the end, it's a MACHINE, and was well worth the time we put into it.

Hope that helps...

Dave
oh - don't think i can any of that!
Might just go with the non-floyd version and see if i can find one at GC that has no sharp edges....still watching **** though for a wolfie at a good price!

Thanks everyone,

Jeff
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
I owned a OLP they are by far the best known secret in guitars.. There actually a blast.. Just need to swap the pickups out and bingo your good..

yeah swap the pups IF you dont like the ones in the EBMM EVH or axis guitars you mean?
the OLP set sounds the same as those

BTW, the newest OLP mm1FR now has a real deal floyd

For 2007 OLP significantly upgraded the already popular MM1F with the upgrade of a Floyd Rose® Original tremolo from its former Floyd Rose® Licensed tremolo. Gone are the natural and transparent gold finishes in favor of basic all-business black - a move that not only looks great, but also keeps the upgraded version in-line with last year's price. Try one today, with direct mounted pickups, the distinctive feel of a Musicman neck and a Floyd Rose® Original, the new MM1F is ready to rock!
'

Tags
direct mounted pickups , ebmm evh , floyd rose , frank falbo , locking nut , mounted pickups , neck shape , peavey wolfgang

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode