Which one do I get???!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Which one do I get???!!

Hi,

Quite a petty question, but I just can't make my mind up!

I've been offered two same model RG prestiges (not gonna say which model as they're a bit sought after and one of you buggers might find one of 'em and beat me to it! :-D) which are identical exept that one was built in 2002 and one in 2003. The difference in the year means that one was built witha Lo-Pro trem and the other with an EdgePro trem. I can't try them very easily as one's miles away and the other is in a different country!

SOooooooooo, who prefers what?? I currently own a few Ibanez, all loaded with LoPro, but have never owned an EdgePro. Does anyone have any opinions or problems they've had through ownership?

Basically, which one should I get??!

:-)

btw, the LoPro has a few dings and is going for $600/£300 and the Edgepro is $1600/£800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:05 AM

Re: Which one do I get???!!

Less expensive and a Lo Pro?

I don't see what the dilemma is, get the cheaper one and be done.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:08 AM

I prefer the older ones. Not crazy about the feel of the Edge Pro. It'll stay in tune like a son of a bitch, though.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Dee

Depends on if you can deal with dings. Personally, I can't stand them unless the instrument gets to the point where it's so dinged up it becomes cool!

My usual preference is the Lo-Pro, but the dings would kill it for me.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

there's one small ding, down to the wood and another scuff under the lacquer, but that appears to be it. THey're both on the back though so you can't see it from the front at al.

Just read Rich's findings on ibanezrules and it sounds like the EdgePro is good, but for what ibanez giveth, they also taketh away! Pro's and cons, and possible long term worries with the studs, ball holders and possibly the pressed in string guides, especially on earlier models, of which mine definately will be.

Still, feel free to keep giving opinions, i'm all ears.

Matt
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:18 PM

02' with the Lo Pro, hands down. --Jason
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 03:43 PM

There's nothing wrong with the Edge Pro, so it depends how much the dings put you off the 02 model. You can't really go wrong either way
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 04:46 AM
GAZ

Talking Re: Which one do I get???!!

Is the £800 one new and with a case ?? If so I'd go for it unless you prefer the colour of the other one. If you tell us the model, I'm sure we know of others for sale anyway !!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

It's an RG2120x, and obviously the difference is between the 2002 and 2003 model. There's other differences suxh as the pickups, but since i'll change them anyway, they're irrelevent.

The £800 new one has a ding or two in the back also apparently according to the shop, but it's not actually chipped.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Forgot to ask; what do people thing of the prices of these? Sound reasonable? The new one is still available, but i think i'm gonna go for the used one. (all the ibanez I own have lo-pro, which work for me fine, but I wondered if the edge-pro would be a step up or just a move sideways)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 04:28 AM

If you dont take the lo-pro one.. please let me know where it is cause I will take it in a heart beat...

I have used mine live for the last 4-5 years and its an incredible guitar!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 06:24 AM
GAZ

There is another new one for sale in the UK in blue but it's just over a grand, rip off !!!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:50 AM

I have a '02 S2120x, and love it. Lo-Pro w/ piezos. Now if I could replace it for an EdgePro, I'd do it with no regrets. There is minimal difference in feeling but I tend to lean toward the lower profile EdgePro. I think it is indeed an improved design.

If your concern is locking studs, then buy them from Rich for $40. Take the opportunity as well to buy a few extra string retainers just in case one ever breaks, and extra $2 investment, and you're in heaven.

However, the price difference is considerable. If cost is an important factor for your decision, then I'd say, by all means, buy the cheaper w/ LoPro. The tremolo itself would not justify paying $1,000 more.

Last but not least, I also am, as Dee said he is, very sensible about bemishes. Depending on the severity, one or two chips may be well worth the extra difference if you also consider the tremolo factor. But again, it all depends on your financial situation at the moment.

Gus.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Bought the '02 model from a very nice guy called Christian!

As Gaz said, the other one I was looking at is indeed NOS from a shop in the UK, but it's got a slight ding or two in it from speaking to the guy there and even though I told him i'd be in the area of one of their shops in a few weeks, he didn't think to transfer it so when I called it wasn't where I could get to it, so bo*locks to them! He would've dropped the price to about £900/$1800 but it still seemed expensive compared to the £325$650 shipped I paid for mine.

Think I made the right choice, but my only concern is that the one I got has a sanded neck but it doesn't seem too dificult to tru-oil it from what i've read and the general consensus seems that it'll play very quickly afterwards.

We'll see what happens I guess!

What's the crack with the Pro-Edge locking posts for $40 that you mentioned? I'm vaguely aware of it, but can anyone elaborate on what the problem is exactly? I'm kinda guessing it doesn't affect Lo-Pro guitars?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 12:13 PM

Lo Pro ftw!

Tags
locking stud , locking studs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode