Opinion/Advice needed: Prestige RG2550EGK VS MIJ RG520QSTB - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Question Opinion/Advice needed: Prestige RG2550EGK VS MIJ RG520QSTB

Hi, so I have these two guitars, and honestly, the differences are truly bugging me. $1000 Prestige VS $280 RG520 and I'm thinking the cheaper one will become my main axe...

I need some experienced opinion as I used to only play ESP M-II MIJ guiars before, but I found a passion for the RG.

So there are my personal comparisons:

Prestige:
- Neck: I love the feel, it's strong and meaty but fast and I love the heel at the nut's back, I just love that neck.
- PUP config: I like HSH config a LOT.
- Look: Ok, ok, I love the pickguarded RGs way more and I personally love the look of the Galaxy Black on stage, but mainly the neck: HOT DAMN call me corny but the fretboard binding and inlays are sublime to me, it would be perfect if the headstock had binding too and was Reversed but you can't have everything.
- SOUND: Now that's the main point here, I don't know if I'm just not a fan of Basswood but to me it sounds so flat, no matter how I EQ my amp or which pickups I use, it always sounds flat and lacks attack and meat, BUT I did find that I like the richness of Basswood, it just lacks punch if that makes any sense.

RG520:
- Neck: This is a Super Wizard, the thinnest neck I've played on so far, with a Bubinga skunk stripe. It feels really nice but the finish is too glossy, I prefer Satin. It's definitely easier and thinner than the Prestige neck but to me it almost feels flimsy, call me crazy but I like the feel of the Prestige neck better than this one even just for the fact that the Prestige is thicker. Also I love the wedged nut's back of the prestige, the Super Wizard is just flat.
- PUP config: 2 pups, HH, honestly I prefer HSH for versatility.
- Look: Well... the quilted sapele top is nice but the blue although pretty cool is not my style, I would have prefered black or even red. No pickguard, sucks but I guess I can get a custom one from Terrapin Guitars. No binding on the neck? No cool inlays? Well... This is one boring looking neck.
- SOUND: OH, Am I crazy or that Mahogany body sounds like an artillery cannon when fired? Damn, it's night and day, although I love the richness of the basswood Prestige, this mahogany sounds rich in a different and more punchy way, it seems like there is more attack and "thump" on the low notes per example.

So is what I'm experiencing with the tone mainly due to the wood? I tried other Basswood RGs, prestige, premium, J-Custom, all have their little differences in sound (pickups not considered in this example) but I find basswood always has a certain type of sound in RGs. The rg520 is one of the rare Mahogany rgs MIJ and it's worth peanuts but the sound and build quality makes me wonder why I bought a Prestige, just for the fee and lookl? Cause I swear the quality is outstanding on the rg520, most people here would love the super wizard neck over the prestige neck in terms of profile, so damn slim and fast, but I just prefer the meat and look/binding/inlays of the Prestige neck.

So what now, should I bother swapping the necks? I like the sound of the mahogany rg520 but I prefer the Prestige neck feel and look. Any opinions if it's a good/bad idea? Or should I just get a custom neck with all my specs from ETguitars for like $500? It wouldn't be the prestige neck but it would be close.

Also I would eventually sand down the Rg520 body and have it re-painted in dark transparent black/deep red.

Frustrating, I wish the Prestige sounded exactly like the RG520... It would almost perfect, gimme a reverse headstock with binding and I'll be in paradise. I know I'll never find a neck like that unless someone can reproduce them perfectly haha.

Thanks in advance for your input/ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 03:56 AM

Re: Opinion/Advice needed: Prestige RG2550EGK VS MIJ RG520QSTB

I have an RG685 (Japan market only model wit hthe Super wizard neck, 199 and an RG2550MZ GW. TBH I love both, but my main one is my 2550. Why? The Dimarzio IBZ pups are GREAT imo, and the neck feels like butter.

I would use the prestige as main, and 520 as backup. You seem to like the Prestige more anyway
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 04:01 AM

this is a long shot, but maybe this is the solution.

find a '99 RG550LTD, the neck is similar like your 520QS, only with the binding and sharky.
Put that neck to the 520, and you got your self your dream guitar.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:03 AM

You could also search out an TR(trans red) RG3120 or RG3170 which are Mahogany back Maple top prestiges. 280 for a QS 520 was a steal!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas so far.

Matias: Honestly, I like the Prestige feel but then I could just put the Prestige neck on the 520 since I prefer the sound.

psychoshredder: well that's not a bad idea but instead of buying another guitar maybe I might as well invest $500 in a completely custom and even more perfect neck from ETguitars, with a wenge wood stripe, satin finish and reverse headstock+binding and cool inlays.

Fastmerc: that sounds like a good idea too, but then again I would still need to mod it with a pickguard and to be honest those don't have the big inlays, still cool but pricey idea, maybe in the future!

To be honest my main two choices at this point would be to either put the prestige neck on the RG520, probably the cheapest option for now. Or ideally have a ETguitar completely custom made for me.

I wish I could just find a Prestige Reverse Headstock neck on ebay! Damn it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 04:48 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by divebombs View Post
Thanks for the ideas so far.

Matias: Honestly, I like the Prestige feel but then I could just put the Prestige neck on the 520 since I prefer the sound.

psychoshredder: well that's not a bad idea but instead of buying another guitar maybe I might as well invest $500 in a completely custom and even more perfect neck from ETguitars, with a wenge wood stripe, satin finish and reverse headstock+binding and cool inlays.

Fastmerc: that sounds like a good idea too, but then again I would still need to mod it with a pickguard and to be honest those don't have the big inlays, still cool but pricey idea, maybe in the future!

To be honest my main two choices at this point would be to either put the prestige neck on the RG520, probably the cheapest option for now. Or ideally have a ETguitar completely custom made for me.

I wish I could just find a Prestige Reverse Headstock neck on ebay! Damn it.
I think ever finding a reverse head prestige neck is unlikely since there were only two models that ever had them. The RGR1220 and the RGR1570. I just sold one of them....LOL.

I understand why you like the prestige neck so much, it's just a great feeling neck....period. Being able to put your 2550 neck onto your 529 will be entirely dependent on what year the 2550 is. 2005 and later necks will not fit on your 520 body without making the pocket on the 520 2mm wider.

Me personally? I would put the 2550 neck on the 520 (regardless wether the body needs to be modded or not) to see if it changes the guitar for the better. There's no way I would spend the money on a full custom before knowing if the two even work together for you.

As far as pickguards go- you can put an aftermarket guard on the 520 any time you want........ they're cheap enough and easy to put on.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 04:56 PM

Also and FWIW......

The SuperWiz on your 520 is only 1mm thinner at the nut than the 2550. by the 12th fret- they even out to the same measurements. I think most of the difference people feel between the two is more of a mind trick than anything else. Someone that doesn't know usually can't feel it.

The biggest difference I've ever noticed between the two necks is at the shoulders..... the prestige had more "meat" to it there.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Also and FWIW......

The SuperWiz on your 520 is only 1mm thinner at the nut than the 2550. by the 12th fret- they even out to the same measurements. I think most of the difference people feel between the two is more of a mind trick than anything else. Someone that doesn't know usually can't feel it.
Hey, by the way I was hoping for your personal advice on this, I feel it would be best to try swapping the neck first.

As for the 1mm difference, well I do feel it, I'm mainly a rythm guy and the SuperWiz is definitely easier on all the chords I play. But it's just not the prestige feel.

Oh man you should have sold me that guitar! Haha

Also, can you elaborate on why you think a custom neck might be a shot in the dark?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 10:36 PM

I have a trans black (brown really) 520 and it is a BEAST!! No matter what pickups it has, they sound better than they do in my other guitars.

I also have an rg921 and I know what you mean about basswood. It lacks something that my strat, tele, carvin and 520 have.

I guess the best watt to describe it is like the 921 is like a noiseless single coil pickup compared to the real thing (520).

That said, I lust for a mahogany or ash Japanese home market rg or an sv.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkertoy View Post
I have a trans black (brown really) 520 and it is a BEAST!! No matter what pickups it has, they sound better than they do in my other guitars.

I also have an rg921 and I know what you mean about basswood. It lacks something that my strat, tele, carvin and 520 have.

I guess the best watt to describe it is like the 921 is like a noiseless single coil pickup compared to the real thing (520).

My RG685 (japanese market model) is basswood but it sounds great with the stock pups. I like basswood for what it is, just like I like the alder body in my Carvin JB200. All my guitars sound great so I can't complain
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkertoy View Post

The RG520 is the easiest and fastest guitar I have ever played on so far (that neck) for rythm in my opinion, and the sound is so clear and well defined. I tried a bunch of pickups and they also all sound better than in any other guitar I've tried them on too, I almost can't decide which PUPs to use on it. Also, the sustain is incredible, almost unbelievable.

As for Basswood, I don't want to bash it but I have no clue why Ibanez doesn't offer a wider variety of tonewoods especially in Prestige or J-Custom models. I mean I wouldn't mind throwing a pile of hundred dollar bills for a nice $3500 J-Custom if it was made of mahogany and maybe re-issued a high-end and updated version of the Super-Wizard necks.

I used to play mainly on a 1991 22frets ESP M-II MKII, but I have no idea what wood it's made of, normally they are Alder but back then they made a bunch of different M-II models and mine is very hard to find. It just doesn't sound like other M-IIs, it sounds way better to me.
So then I got the Prestige thinking I'd possibly like the sound better but I was so disappointed, the ESP was like a punch in the face, I plug the RG2550 and it sounds so flat compared to it. I switched pickups a bunch, tweaked my amp for weeks and still no way to balance that sound to give it the same punch.
Then I figured I might not like Basswood after all so I tried my friend's guitars (a few RGs, prestige, J-Custom) and all of them had a similar sound to it.
Then I tried Alder RGs (and RT650 which I wanted to mod), and nope still no punch and definition like the ESP.
Then I tried the RG520... ugh I just wish it looked and felt like a Prestige.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 11:06 PM

I intend to get a pro fret job on my 520. It already plays better than everything but my warmoth tele, which has a pro level on ss frets.

I am dead set on an s or sv series next.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divebombs View Post
Hey, by the way I was hoping for your personal advice on this, I feel it would be best to try swapping the neck first.

As for the 1mm difference, well I do feel it, I'm mainly a rythm guy and the SuperWiz is definitely easier on all the chords I play. But it's just not the prestige feel.

Oh man you should have sold me that guitar! Haha

Also, can you elaborate on why you think a custom neck might be a shot in the dark?
I think it's probably more in the necks shoulders that you feel the difference, but anyway, I wouldn't spend the $$ on a custom neck for one reason........ It's highly unlikely that Ernie will shape the neck exactly the same as your Prestige neck is now. It will be great, but it will be different. You'll then have three different profiles to deal with/choose from. If your like me, there will be something in each that you wish the others had.

Putting the Prestige neck on the 520 body removes some of the variables. If you find it's the "perfect" combination for you, you can keep it as is or send the prestige neck to Ernie to duplicate the profile on a custom. To me, it's just a way to way to insure your getting the feel and look you want without having to spend big bucks first.

If I had a 520, I'd want the same neck feel you do, but I'd want a flamey maple board with off-set Abalone dots...........mmmmmmmmmm, yummy!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I think it's probably more in the necks shoulders that you feel the difference, but anyway, I wouldn't spend the $$ on a custom neck for one reason........ It's highly unlikely that Ernie will shape the neck exactly the same as your Prestige neck is now. It will be great, but it will be different. You'll then have three different profiles to deal with/choose from. If your like me, there will be something in each that you wish the others had.

Putting the Prestige neck on the 520 body removes some of the variables. If you find it's the "perfect" combination for you, you can keep it as is or send the prestige neck to Ernie to duplicate the profile on a custom. To me, it's just a way to way to insure your getting the feel and look you want without having to spend big bucks first.

If I had a 520, I'd want the same neck feel you do, but I'd want a flamey maple board with off-set Abalone dots...........mmmmmmmmmm, yummy!
My Carvin's inlays aren't offset dots, but they are on a Flame maple board and the dots are abalone
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 05:23 PM

The ibanez golden era...........ah nice x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode