Opinion/Advice needed: Prestige RG2550EGK VS MIJ RG520QSTB
Hi, so I have these two guitars, and honestly, the differences are truly bugging me. $1000 Prestige VS $280 RG520 and I'm thinking the cheaper one will become my main axe...
I need some experienced opinion as I used to only play ESP M-II MIJ guiars before, but I found a passion for the RG.
So there are my personal comparisons:
- Neck: I love the feel, it's strong and meaty but fast and I love the heel at the nut's back, I just love that neck.
- PUP config: I like HSH config a LOT.
- Look: Ok, ok, I love the pickguarded RGs way more and I personally love the look of the Galaxy Black on stage, but mainly the neck: HOT DAMN call me corny but the fretboard binding and inlays are sublime to me, it would be perfect if the headstock had binding too and was Reversed but you can't have everything.
- SOUND: Now that's the main point here, I don't know if I'm just not a fan of Basswood but to me it sounds so flat, no matter how I EQ my amp or which pickups I use, it always sounds flat and lacks attack and meat, BUT I did find that I like the richness of Basswood, it just lacks punch if that makes any sense.
- Neck: This is a Super Wizard, the thinnest neck I've played on so far, with a Bubinga skunk stripe. It feels really nice but the finish is too glossy, I prefer Satin. It's definitely easier and thinner than the Prestige neck but to me it almost feels flimsy, call me crazy but I like the feel of the Prestige neck better than this one even just for the fact that the Prestige is thicker. Also I love the wedged nut's back of the prestige, the Super Wizard is just flat.
- PUP config: 2 pups, HH, honestly I prefer HSH for versatility.
- Look: Well... the quilted sapele top is nice but the blue although pretty cool is not my style, I would have prefered black or even red. No pickguard, sucks but I guess I can get a custom one from Terrapin Guitars. No binding on the neck? No cool inlays? Well... This is one boring looking neck.
- SOUND: OH, Am I crazy or that Mahogany body sounds like an artillery cannon when fired? Damn, it's night and day, although I love the richness of the basswood Prestige, this mahogany sounds rich in a different and more punchy way, it seems like there is more attack and "thump" on the low notes per example.
So is what I'm experiencing with the tone mainly due to the wood? I tried other Basswood RGs, prestige, premium, J-Custom, all have their little differences in sound (pickups not considered in this example) but I find basswood always has a certain type of sound in RGs. The rg520 is one of the rare Mahogany rgs MIJ and it's worth peanuts but the sound and build quality makes me wonder why I bought a Prestige, just for the fee and lookl? Cause I swear the quality is outstanding on the rg520, most people here would love the super wizard neck over the prestige neck in terms of profile, so damn slim and fast, but I just prefer the meat and look/binding/inlays of the Prestige neck.
So what now, should I bother swapping the necks? I like the sound of the mahogany rg520 but I prefer the Prestige neck feel and look. Any opinions if it's a good/bad idea? Or should I just get a custom neck with all my specs from ETguitars for like $500? It wouldn't be the prestige neck but it would be close.
Also I would eventually sand down the Rg520 body and have it re-painted in dark transparent black/deep red.
Frustrating, I wish the Prestige sounded exactly like the RG520... It would almost perfect, gimme a reverse headstock with binding and I'll be in paradise. I know I'll never find a neck like that unless someone can reproduce them perfectly haha.
Thanks in advance for your input/ideas.