Opinions on Carvin - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Opinions on Carvin

Hello, I am just curious what you guys think about Carvin's.

Im strongly considering ordering a 6 string neck-thru with them. They have tons of options, and loads of customisation, but are they worth a damn, is their built quality and playability decent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 08:45 AM

There's a lot of past threads discussing this so poke around for more info. I personally own two Carvin 7 stringers - both were purchased used. Carvins tend to go really cheap on the used market so tap that before you go order a custom axe direct from them.

As far as tone and build quality go, they're great guitars - not the best out there but the stock pups are decent, woods are nice, build quality is good. I don't believe they compare to the higher end Ibanez guitars (say my RG2027 for example) but then I bought them much cheaper.

I'd say they're some of the best used guitars out there - American made and cheap. Not sure I'd spend the coin the new ones go for without first doing a lot of comparison shopping.

Randy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 09:24 AM

I think they rock. I love my Carvin aftermarket necks - better made than any Ibanez I've had, though a couple Ibanezes feel better to me and I've never owned an American Master or J custom.

From a customization standpoint you can't beat them. Value for $$ you can't beat them. I'd own a few, except their main DC body style just doesn't fit me like a Radius or sabre body. Bummer. So, I have a Carvin neck (and one of their pups) on my main radius.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 09:24 AM

I used to own a six string all tung-oiled koa Carvin (yummy). I traded it long ago for an Iby EW series (quilt maple, yummy again). At any rate, I would say that Carvin necks are some of the best in the business. The quality of woods used is top shelf. If you dig on wizard necks, you'll love a Carvin neck (six string that is, the sevens are a bit fatter).

As far as tone goes, I always felt that my six lacked character. The Ibanez EW that came after it blew it away...but that was a mahogany guitar with PAFs. If you want to change pups in a Carvin, you'll need to do some routing as their pups are not standard width.

Build quality I found to be very very good. Mine was made to order and they got it done fast. But like Randy said, bang around in the used market first before dumping coin on a spanking new one. All things being equal, if I had the choice of a custom Carvin or a something akin to an Ibanez 3120...I'd take the Ibanez every time.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 08:34 AM

I"ve had a half dozen Carvins - nothing bad to say. My two current quilt top Bolts are awesome - some of the best longitudinal strand quilted maple you'll ever see. They simply rule (for the money). Hate to say it, but I've got two Carvins now, and currently no Ibanez products, so you can guess what I prefer...

HT
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 10:28 AM

I have a DC747 in flame koa. It's a great 7string, plays well, etc...
I have one major complaint... Carvin pickups are smaller than anything else on the market. I personally find the stock pickup kinda mellow (I'm sure people out there love it...but I really don't like it) I'd love to try something else in it's place... but Carvin saw fit to make their pickups, and since it mounts to the body...the cavity, to narrow for anything else.
So, you'd think Carvin would make a couple of pickups to choose from right? Nope not for 7 string guitars... just that one.
The guitar is gorgeous, feels great, balances well, the frets and construction is flawless... I hate the stock pickups.
I'm pretty sure that the 6 string guitars have standard size pickups.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 05:59 AM

I also ordered Carvin DC747 guitar
Here are specs:

DC747 with Floyd Rose Tremolo
Gold plated hardware
Dunlop Strap Locks
phase switch for humbucker
Dunlop Low-Wide frets installed
Birdseye maple fingerboard/ without inlays
5 piece maple neck with two koa stripes
Tung Oil finish back of neck
Koa headstock overlay
Engraved Truss Rod Cover
Maple neck and Mahogany body with Tung Oil finish
Vintage Tweed premium plywood hardshell guitar case

[/img]

Tags
floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , headstock overlay , ibanez guitars , mahogany body , maple fingerboard , maple neck , quilted maple , strap lock , strap locks , string guitars , truss rod , truss rod cover , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode