Opinions on EDGE PRO II trem... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Question Opinions on EDGE PRO II trem...

Hi...
im thinking of getting RGT42DXFM... it has the edge pro II trem... any of you guys have tried this trem?? is it any good, the feel, stability, etc?? say if i dont like the trem, can i shove in an original floyd rose without doing any routing to the body?? thnx in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:50 PM

Re: Opinions on EDGE PRO II trem...

it feels cheap. Does the job if setup right, but no where near the solid feel of the lo-pro.

I don't think you can replace it with an OFR. With the TRS2 trem cavities you could retro fit tho.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:56 PM

When setup properly, I'd say that it's a perfectly decent trem (although there are better out there). Of course, you won't find another trem that will retrofit the cavity so I would suggest actually playing the instrument thoroughly at Guitar Center or somewhere to see if it's right for you. If not, then I would suggest going with a Prestige neck-thru Ibanez like the RGT220. That way you get Dimarzio pickups right from the get-go AND the Edge Pro trem which feels a lot more fluid than the EPII.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:45 AM

I'd say why buy a guitar you know you'll eventually get rid of? I can't see anyone keeping a guitar with the EP2/3 trem...at least not me. I'm guessing you're an experienced player that has had a few years of guitar playing under your belt. Spoil yourself and buy something that's worth keeping.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

well i was gonna buy RG2570EX, but they no longer have the 2004 model... they have the 2005 model with non-matching headstock... i just dont like guitars with non-matching headstock... this is my first time buying a trem equiped guitar... so i preety much cluesless... TT
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 02:12 AM

Try the 2550? Yea I like matching headstocks too :P
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capink
well i was gonna buy RG2570EX, but they no longer have the 2004 model... they have the 2005 model with non-matching headstock... i just dont like guitars with non-matching headstock... this is my first time buying a trem equiped guitar... so i preety much cluesless... TT
To me the better quality bridge in a MIJ RG more than offsets a non matching head stock

I've had guitars with both EP and EP2 - the EP is much more fluid, feels better and has better tuning stability
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 09:16 AM

I love Ibanez instruments but hate the EP2&3 trems.. They are the reason I've sent a couple Ibanez guitars back. I've always questioned the wisdom of putting that trem on the neck thru RGT42
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 09:30 AM

I think you really should try the 2550, if it were my decision there'd be no choice, i'd have to go for the 2550 even if the headstock isn't matching which is really a shame since i'm a sucker for matching headstocks.

When it comes down to it though, the EP of the 2550 is much better than the EP2 of the RGT, and it's an instrument so playability and sound should always be paramout especially in comparison to looks.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 02:14 PM

The Edge Pro II works if the guitar isnt your #1 and just a practice guitar to put the wear and tear on, but if it is your #1 then get a guitar with an Edge Pro... could you retrofit a Edge Pro on a Edge Pro II slot easily or would you have to get it routed? I am not even sure.

The RGT42DXFM is a sweet looking guitar aside from the Edge Pro II, but someone explain why there is a ceramic magnet pickup in the neck and Alnico 5 in the bridge on that... that seems kind of backwards to me!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 10:49 PM

from a marketting standpoint I don't think Ibanez would let EP retrofit into a EP2 cavity.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 03:13 PM

The Edge pro ll is good trem with a few downs IMO compared to other IBZ trems. The feel is significantly stiffer than any other IBZ trem made which I think is a minus.Worse than that however is that the trem arm itself requires periodic retightening to keep it wiggle free. Its a PITA to do as one of the tension screws is located whewre you need to remove the rear plate to get to it. And if you overtighten them you will ruin the internal bushing!That said,I have an RGT42FM I really like. Also-I developed a modification to the trem to fix the trem arm problem. Its a bit involved but I never worry about my trem arm any more and havent needed to retighten it in 6 months! Its a must do in my book. Heres a link to a brief description of this mod.http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37095

Last edited by rockon1; 06-16-2005 at 07:20 PM.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 04:34 PM

Recently i just got an 2004 Ibanez RG 320 FM equiped with an Edge Pro II trem. Yeah i know it isnt the most top quality trem around, but to be honest its pretty friggin stable and fluid-like. Its not as fluid as the Edge Pro and Edge Lo Pro, but overall it is a pretty reliable trem. The overall size of the Edge Pro II is relativaly small for a locking bridge and its fine tuners are directly behind the string saddles like a Lo Pro bridge. It has those cool little string-ball holders too like the Edge Pro. Once you start playing, its easy to reat your hand on it without going sharp and the overall hand mobility around it is simply amazing; its almost feels like a hardtail bridge besides the trem bar. As for the trem bar itself, I can't say it is very good because it is prone to a slight "wobble" when you push or pull it back, and when you play on it you will tend to notice that the bar dosen't have enough vertical space from the bridge itself. This is a little annoying when you wanna have the bar aside your wrist and the stupid first bend on the bar is so low that it will rub your wrist, and this will take some time to get used to. Its also kinda hard to let it swing freely without it going around all wild cause the bar is a screw in style unlike the Edge Pro. Overall this is one of the best "economy" buget trems; it may have a few downsides, but it is nothing a little tinkering and customizing can't fix to make it one pretty decent locking trem.

Even with all this said however, I stll want to get a bit more expensive trem installed on my RG 320 FM, because like the RGT 42 DX, it has the potential to be hell of a good guitar with a few modifications. So anyway, I was wondering if it was possible to put a Floyd Rose Speed Loader trem in the cavity of my Edge Pro II with minimal or no routing necessary. I know i would have to replace the nut and fill in the holes of the of the tuning keys. But there was one thing i dont know. Can the FR Speed Loader trem be tuned down to drop D (DADGBE) or a whole step down to DGCFAD? I was wondering about this because i know that the strings are double balled and it would seem hard to drop the tuning unless you got different length strings or super adjustable fine tuners. This is a questioning that has been in my head for a long time. So if someone can answer it, i would be really grateful!
Thanx

-Solo John-
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 07:19 PM

"Its also kinda hard to let it swing freely without it going around all wild cause the bar is a screw in style unlike the Edge Pro."

Huh? Edge pro ll is a push in deal-at least both the ones on my rg's are. Its wobble is from poorly designed internal bushing(see my last post)Its also hieght adjustable from inside the rear access plate. Theres a hieght adjustment screw .
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:46 PM

the only problem I've experienced with the Edge Pro II in my RG320 which is a very good guitar is the set screw that holds the bar in place. Mine stripped early on and now I never use the trem. I'm probably going to let Pinto79 stick a regular Edge bar in it and see how I like that. The trem itself feels pretty good and holds tune.

Tags
dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , edge pro trem , floyd rose , guitar playing , hardtail bridge , ibanez guitars , locking bridge , neck thru , pro edge , string saddle , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode