Opinions on G&L Guitars? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 11:21 AM

i have a G&L Climax XL (circa '93-'95?) that i heard is now the Legacy line. i have never given the company much thought , though i do like Fender guitars. this guitar is FAT!!! i'm picking it up for $275 w/ the original case and it is easily 9/10 condition. the neck is a one piece maple and the body has a "marble" type of blue and black finish. not sure of the body wood- i'm guessing alder. the pups sound great (two hums)!! it has a FR liscensed trem and lock. the neck is totally different from anything i've tried before. the neck is kinda wide and thick yet almost flat on the back. the only problem i have with the guitar is the tuners are the tele style that you have to put the string end into the center hole of the tuner. YUCK!! . i plan to change those out soon with some other ones.
i give a big thumbs up to anyone wanting a G&L!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 12:18 PM

G&L is without a doubt the finest production Fender type instrument around today. To me, it beats even Tom Anderson and the like if for no other reason than many of their necks still feel "Vintage Fendery" while T.A. is a different animal, and awesome for other reasons. We dealt G&L's for a long time and was an authorized service center. So I got close with the factory guys. Before that, I sold them some Mighty Mite parts. They used the M.M. chrome jackplates for the strat-styles, and the Ibanez style output jack for the rest.

I have a Commanche (bamm, you can come over and borrow it if you want) Where I did a custom mod to make it like the old ones. I used 3 mini toggles to select one or both coils of each pickup. That means top 3 strings or bottom 3 strings. Imagine, neck pickup top 3, bridge and middle bottom 3. Its the coolest thing. I also did that with some custom made Duncan vintage rails. Same concept of 3 strings recognized per coil.

As far as the Korean models, I fully support that project. They are using the US pickups, which are awesome, and all the Leo designed improvements like the bridges for example. A great buy all the way around. I would even say it beats an american standard easily in value.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 12:38 PM

BTW-screamindemon-send me those tuners! Those are the best! That way you don't cut yourself on the string ends.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 11:03 PM

you got it Frank! I see the reason for using them- i just haven't mastered restringing with them yet.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 02:47 PM

Reviews: 3
I didn't feel like editing my last post for the new link:

http://www.jayratkowski.com/pics/gear/s500/

I still say G&L is a good guitar for the money. Their resale seems laughable, so if you buy one, make sure you plan on keeping it! Sorry Frank, no production strat guitar beats an Anderson. Not happening.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 03:25 PM

Andersons aren't production guitars? That CNC equipment he bought 7 or 8 years ago is just for cutting pickguards?

But seriously, I agree that an Anderson has a better build quality and fit/finish. But if you want Fender feel and sound, the Anderson is different than that. The G&L just does the Fender thing, (true vintage, texas blues, or modern) more accurately, so I say it's a better choice for the Fender junky than an Anderson, or other boutique superstrats. I made myself a superstrat with Bartolinis, a bolivian rosewood neck and an ebony board and piezos. It's "better than" any G&L, but it doesn't please the Fender-head.

Actually, when you think about it, the G&L is less of a production instrument than the Anderson. The bodies and necks aren't made on CNC machines like the Andersons, but I digress....
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 04:32 PM

Reviews: 3
:-) I meant as far as production guitars go, Anderson is tops. I wasn't trying to infer that Anderson was not built on an assembly line or anything like that. I didn't want to say "Anderson is the best strat ever" and have someone say "Oh my Jorge Jahnsen handmade custom is so much better" or something equally silly.

However, I see your point, if I was a Fender junkie (which I am close to) and wanted that late 60's feel without the price, I'd have a wall full of G&L's.

*group hug*
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 02:56 PM

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
G&L is without a doubt the finest production Fender type instrument around today....
I have a Commanche (bamm, you can come over and borrow it if you want)...
To quote a Vai song "I would love to"

I haven't had a chance to get my hands on someone's player G&L and I would really like to find something that has the tone and spank of a strat.
(Had a strat, but my RG-550 out-quacked it in the 2 & 4 positions)

I've been stalking the few Comanche's on E-bay lately

Bamm
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm
To quote a Vai song "I would love to"
-check your PM-
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM

Re: Opinions on G&L Guitars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnh5 View Post
Yes, darren, but g&l guitars was a company founded by Leo Fender, george fullerton was a good friend of leo fender, leo named the company G&L (G for George Fullerton and L for Leo Fender) After Leo died his wife chose John C. McLaren to take over management of G&L guitars, to keep g&l guitars alive, like leo would have wanted it. And leo's wife is the chairman of G&L guitars. So, while G&L guitars arent made by fender guitars, essentially G&L guitars is the same thing as fender guitars, in that they were both the brainstorms and inspirations of Leo Fender.
this is a perfect concise reply that should be used to sell your g&l guitar to those that only know two names in guitars fender/gibson
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:31 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngalistai View Post
this is a perfect concise reply that should be used to sell your g&l guitar to those that only know two names in guitars fender/gibson

I'm sure he figured it out over the last decade.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 PM

Play nice, or play elsewhere.

Last edited by Ayrton; 01-29-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: smart ass comment removed.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:10 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngalistai View Post
yeah its good to know he probably wasnt an ******* like you
Easy there tiger, no need to get your panties in a twist.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 PM

Seriously!?

A 10 year old thread, and then you want to be a smart ass?

Closed Thread

Tags
beautiful guitar , coil tap , custom shop , ebony board , fender strat , leo fender , local music store , mini toggle , music store , neck pickup , rosewood neck , sam ash , swamp ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode