Opinions on G&L Guitars? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on G&L Guitars?

I stopped by one of my local music stores last night and played the new Tribute guitars from G&L. These are the lesser-expensive, Korean-made models, but still include much of the same build quality in the USA models. I played both the Legacy (alder) and an S-500 Premium (swamp ash). Either these guitars are an exception to the rule, or Koream build quality and tolerance are leaps & bounds from what they used to be. I only had the luxury of plugging both guitars into a Fender Vibrolux, so no heavier tones were available. VERY nice guitars. My ears favored the S-500 a bit more. I liked the sharper attack and the neck pickup was a bit fuller sounding than the Legacy. Has anyone else had experience with this new model or G&L in general? I was pleasantly suprised and am considering picking one up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 03:19 PM

G&Ls are great in all aspects...I had a ASAT Special: amber clear over ash/rose board (tele with P-90 style pups). Every G&L, Legacy or ASAT, I've picked up seemed like a fine guitar.

Korean line now?...I guess everybody's doing it. I agree that Korean quality is getting better all the time...and prices seem to be going up acordingly. How were these priced?
Greg
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

The top of the line models (S-500 Premium) goes for around $489.99 (per the latest MF catalog). The store's price was a bit higher, but they can certainly match a competitor price. I plan to go back since they also carry a couple of Comanches. I want to A/B them to see how the tone and feel is between the two. Overall, this Korean model appears very well-built. Wood selection is better than I've seen; finishes are dro-dead gorgeous, and they feature the G&L pickups still wound in the US factory. They indicate all the fulcrum tremolo parts are manufactured overseas, but match the specs of the USA version exactly.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 05:16 PM

Reviews: 3
I like them. They play pretty nice (although most use too round of a radius for me), look great and are well made. Price is a tad high but not unreasonable. The only real problem with them is resale value sucks. So make sure you want to keep it.

Edit - also my S-500 has all the custom options and was something like $1400 (it was a NAMM feature model). I think it's purdy - http://www.jayratkowski.com/pics/gear/s5001.jpg
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 04:14 AM

I want the sivler sparkle ASAT! Beautiful guitars!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 10:47 PM

Of the twelve guitars I own, two of the best sounding are my G&L SC-2 and my customized Legacy with large MFDs in the neck and bridge and a Z-coil in the middle. G&L are awesome guitars. I've heard great things about the Tribute line. These use US-made pups, the hardware is nearly identical to the USA stuff, and I've heard that the guitars are all inspected and setup at the plant in Fullerton.

Randy
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 10:48 PM

Of the twelve guitars I own, two of the best sounding are my G&L SC-2 and my customized Legacy with large MFDs in the neck and bridge and a Z-coil in the middle. G&L are awesome guitars. I've heard great things about the Tribute line. These use US-made pups, the hardware is nearly identical to the USA stuff, and I've heard that the guitars are all inspected and setup at the plant in Fullerton.

Randy
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 07:41 PM

If you want the best of Fender your better off getting a G&L. If youve read any of my posts Ive never talked much about fenders and I own mostly Pauls. Fact is Im a huge closet fender fenatic. Ive read alot about the companies history. Despite how cliche it is to talk about the CBS buyout of fender, the fact is most guitar makers, including all the origional fender designers that were alive at the time (george and Leo Fender (G&L)), believe that to this day the company has not come back to any kind of decent manufacturing like it was before that time. If you only knew the stuff that went on during that period. Bean counters who knew nothing about guitars but were in charge of purchasing bought the cheapest possable materials. Materials that should never be used in an instrument. Left over scrap wood and wire from industries. Theyd buy wire for pickups in any guage or material just becouse it was the cheapest. Same with wood and paint. Fenders produced in the first few years after that arent even on par with a Yamaha Pacifico.

G&L was the new project. The new Fender. No holds barred. Highest quality insruments of the type.

I own a very old strat. The only other fender type guitar Id touch this day would be another vintage or a G&L. So you should feel very confident about G&L if your a fender lover. Youll be getting a more pure fender guitar then what the modern fender company sells.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 02:44 PM

well i stopped off in manhattan earlier this summer and had a chance to go down to 48th street between 5th and 6th avenue where if all you have been there you remember the stores over there... if not well then they have some great places over there... theres manny's music... just incase it ryhmes with lanny's music... and their is sam ash... also just in case it ryhems with cam ash, there are also a few other stores that sell just gibson and fender and some custom shops... any ways i went into manny's or Lanny's (ok thats the last time im doing that) and i had a chance to sit down for an hour and play a few of the American G&L's... now its hard for me to consider a bolt on because im a neck-thru freak... however i really love these things... i only played the american ones but i played the legacy which i really love and then i played one which i forgot the name of but its the one with the z-buckers and coil taps... this thing is AWESOME and its only like 1200 dollars for an american hand made guitar that sounds phenomenal... better then any fender strat ive played... i dont know about the korean models but their american models are still pretty affordable... id say to save up a while longer and pick up an american made G&L for a grand or so... it will be worth the wait, later
-Ran
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 06:09 PM

G&L Guitars are good guitars made by fender, my friend has a ASAT and a custom made G&L , and she loves both of them, and i myself have played both of them, and they are very nice guitars.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:23 PM

G&L is not affiliated with Fender Musical Instrument Corp.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 02:47 PM

Reviews: 1
I would love to get my hands on the Commanche with the Z coils, the whole guitar has a great vibe to it.

Bamm
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 02:24 PM
x2n

George and Leo

Hey,
Yes they are sweet guitars...I tried a comanche and I loved it....too bad I can't afford one or I would own one......
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 04:44 PM

Yes, darren, but g&l guitars was a company founded by Leo Fender, george fullerton was a good friend of leo fender, leo named the company G&L (G for George Fullerton and L for Leo Fender) After Leo died his wife chose John C. McLaren to take over management of G&L guitars, to keep g&l guitars alive, like leo would have wanted it. And leo's wife is the chairman of G&L guitars. So, while G&L guitars arent made by fender guitars, essentially G&L guitars is the same thing as fender guitars, in that they were both the brainstorms and inspirations of Leo Fender.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 04:47 PM

But i do admit i made an error in saying that G&L guitars are made by fender.
Closed Thread

Tags
beautiful guitar , coil tap , custom shop , ebony board , fender strat , leo fender , local music store , mini toggle , music store , neck pickup , rosewood neck , sam ash , swamp ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode