Opinions on Gibson Les Paul Custom - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on Gibson Les Paul Custom

Hi I have been an Ibanez player forever(I currently own 2 S3040PL J-Customs and 3 RG Arch-1 J-Customs)but in recent times I have had an urge to branch out towards something different, something with a fixed bridge perhaps.

I have found a Gibson Les Paul Custom in wine red, a 2003 model from the Custom shop, for Aust $4300(that converts to 3,260.70 USD). Out of all the Gibson's I have seen over the years there have been a lot of bad ones in regards to build quality and tone but this is definitely one of the best ones I have laid my hands on, the binding is very good, actually overall construction is very good and it has a great tone. Unfortunately I would have to chage the pickups(to low output for me), the machine heads(even after streching the new strings the guitar would go out of tune) and the bridge(I would get a TonePros bridge for better tuning stability and also sustain)and all these extras are going to cost a lot as well. I was just wondering what you guys think about Les Pauls and do you think that this is a decent price on one. Also what other fixed bridge models do you all recommend(PRS).

Basically I need a guitar that I can go from standard to Drop D without having to change guitars. If Ibanez had a J-Custom fixed bridge RG or Ghostrider style guitar I would have no hesitation in buying one of those, I have been playing Ibanez for a long time now and I am so used to their quality where Gibson over the years have been very inconsistent. The other idea that I had is that i could get a guitar with a standard Floyd(someone in my area is selling a EBMM Van Halen in trans purple quite cheap) and put a drop D tuner on the Floyd. Anyway thanks for reading my post, take care and I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 09:26 PM

Re: Opinions on Gibson Les Paul Custom

i would say get the EBMM. floyds rock, and LP's are hit and miss like you said before.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 10:03 PM

$3260.70 USD seems like quite a bit for an LP custom, especially if you are gonna mod it up a bunch. For that kind of money you could get a good luthier to buld you whatever you want. I'm with Dew Riffic, I would go for the EBMM, probably a much better deal and floyds do rock.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Opinions on Gibson Les Paul Custom

Hi guys, Sean here. Many thanks for your replies, your opinions are very much appreciated. The extra cost factor with the new hardware/pickups did leave a bad taste in my mouth to be honest and I have only heard good things on EBMM guitars so it looks like the Van Halen will be the choice.I have heard some conflicting reports on the Drop D tuners that can be fitted to floyds, some say they work great some say they suck. Have you guys had any experience with them?Also just something I thought about then, is it possible to fit a standard Floyd Rose trem in place of a Lo Pro Edge or are the dimensions of each trem different in regards to the mounting posts on the guitar body. If that was possible I could just replace a Lo Pro Edge with a floyd on one of my J-Customs.
Anyway thanks guys for reading my posts and for all the advice and tips.

Take care
Sean
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 05:58 AM

maybe you've already made up your mind, but i would buy a gibson over pretty much any guitar (if i had the money) if it was a definite keeper, and did something special for you...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 07:03 AM

That Gibson is way overpriced if you ask me. You can get something alot better for less.
There are loads of good fixed bridge guitars out there. I'd look further if I were you.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks again for all your feedback. Azrael, what fixed bridge guitars would you recommend? I have tried Gibson, PRS, ESP and a few Ibanez as well, there is not much of a range here in Australia.Apart from that one Custom that I have had my eye on, the rest of the Gibson's were quite poor and all equally expensive and most of the PRS were excellent but way to overpriced as well. The ESP's I tried had to much of a metal vibe about them; I absolutely love metal to death but I would prefer something more vintage as I already have 5 modern Ibanez superstrat style guitars. The Ibanez guitars I tried I just did not like, they felt a little cheap to be brutally honest. They were mostly SZ models and a couple of SC series guitars(cheaper models). I have also tried a lot of Fender guitars as well but most have single coil pickups but I prefer humbuckers over single coil pickups. Anyway thanks again for all the feedback and take care.

Regards
Sean
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 08:10 AM

if you're need to (not want to) mod that much, for that price, i would say. not worth it.

why not you wait for the new 2005 RGAs? arched top RG prestige with fixed bridge. look nice!

RGA321 http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/machida/e...z/rga321f.html
RGA121 http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/machida/e...ez/rga121.html
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napee
if you're need to (not want to) mod that much, for that price, i would say. not worth it.

why not you wait for the new 2005 RGAs? arched top RG prestige with fixed bridge. look nice!

RGA321 http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/machida/e...z/rga321f.html
RGA121 http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/machida/e...ez/rga121.html
Holy mother of God! They are some fine looking axes. I would buy both!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 12:32 PM

Just a quick opinion here...

If you're looking for a Les Paul sounding and playing guitar, then keep scouring for a Gibson Les Paul that meets your expectations for a more reasonable price. I've bought plenty of guitars over the years that were my 'Les-Paul-ish' guitars, most recently a SC1620. It wasn't until I actually bought a bonafide Gibson LP that I finally fully understood that the only LP that sounds and plays like an LP is a real Gibson LP. Folks will say there are a 'lot of better guitars for the money', but they don't play or sound exactly like a real LP - so if you want an LP, then there really aren't any better guitars for the money.

Now, if you're just looking for a hardtail guitar for drop tunings, that's a completely different story.

-Ben
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 11:35 PM

Since you have a list of things you need out of a guitar, get whatever fits the list. It's okay if a Les Paul fits the list, but it is a lot of money to spend to be able to quickly go to a drop D tuning. You should get a Les Paul because you want a Les Paul.

Everybody guitarist should have at least one Les Paul during there lives.

...and Strat, and SG, and Tele, and Jem, and etc...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 02:24 AM

Reviews: 120

If you're after a les paul style of guitar maybe have a look at the J & D Luithers guitars. Hella cheap and sound pretty good, but best of all, leaves you plenty of cash left over to mod it to your hearts content. I saw one on ebay that someone moded to be a 58 (I think) SG replica with all original hardware and ended up pretty cheap still.

Also, they are made in the same factory as a lot of Gibson/Epiphone guitars.
I old guitar teacher works at this shop, says these guitars are fantastic, especially when you consider how little they cost.
http://www.daviswheeler.com/Products...lectricGuitars

I think I remember him mentioning something about the pickups being seymour duncans too.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:57 PM

Get an AR3000. Awesome axes, and very consistent. The flames I've seen on those rival any Gibson Custom Shop Ultra and whatever they call them. They sound awesome too!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Opinions on Gibson Les Paul Custom

Hi guys, Sean here. Many thanks for all your feedback regarding the Les Paul.
At the momment I am keeping all options open, I am going to buy the EBMM
Van Halen and I will be trying an Artst AR3000 on the weekend. I will also be
tring out a 2nd hand Heritage Les Paul model, not sure of the model number
but it basically looks like a Les Paul standard. I have heard good things about
Heritage, does anyone have any opinions on these guitars? Thanks guys and
take care.

Regards
Sean
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:54 AM

Another vote for the AR2000/3000 over the Les Paul. Heritage makes nice guitars, though their fretwork isn't always the finest. If you get one from a big Heritage dealer, like Jay Wolfe, you'll avoid all of those kinds of issues. Allright I'm just rereading and seeing where you're getting a used one. Just give it a good once over, they're solidly built and generally very nice (not as nice as the Gibson Custom shop, but certainly as good as regular Gibson production). They do make a nice archtop
I'd still go with an AR2000/3000 though. The 3000's will only have been available for a single year, so they should hold their value well, if not appreciate down the road. That can't be said of any of the other guitars.

jim

Tags
coil pickup , custom shop , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , fixed bridge model , fixed bridge models , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , gibson custom shop , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , guitar body , ibanez guitars , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls , playing guitar , pro edge , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , strat style , strat style guitar , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode