Opinions on the rg3550mz - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Opinions on the rg3550mz

Ok so I own a 2008 pgm301 which I bought new, and I absolutely love it. I need a second guitar, but I am having alot of difficulty choosing the right guitar.

I went for the pgm originally not just because im a PG fan, but because it was a hard tail. I am scared of trem based guitars because I am worried about spending too much time tuneing, and adjusting one. With the pgm I can just pick it up and rock anytime, and I like that.

I have looked at the entire Ibanez range, and the only guitar that floats my boat is the 3550mz, with its desert yellow paint job, tone zone pickups, and maple fretboard.

BUT, it has what looks like an advanced trem, and Im worried it might be a total pain in the ass after googleing "edge zero". If anyone could give me some clear, non bias advice on how easy this guitar would be to own?

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 AM

Re: Opinions on the rg3550mz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattacuk View Post
Ok so I own a 2008 pgm301 which I bought new, and I absolutely love it. I need a second guitar, but I am having alot of difficulty choosing the right guitar.

I went for the pgm originally not just because im a PG fan, but because it was a hard tail. I am scared of trem based guitars because I am worried about spending too much time tuneing, and adjusting one. With the pgm I can just pick it up and rock anytime, and I like that.

I have looked at the entire Ibanez range, and the only guitar that floats my boat is the 3550mz, with its desert yellow paint job, tone zone pickups, and maple fretboard.

BUT, it has what looks like an advanced trem, and Im worried it might be a total pain in the ass after googleing "edge zero". If anyone could give me some clear, non bias advice on how easy this guitar would be to own?

Many thanks!
I have no experience with the edge zero, but I can give you some advice for a floating trem standpoint. It will be a pain in the ass at times, and at times your will love it. While stringing and setting it up it is definitely a pain in the ass, and takes much longer than a hard tail. However, if you get it set up right (Rich has a great tutorial on his site) it will stay in tune no matter how much you divebomb and abuse it.

I guess the thing you really need to ask yourself is if you want to enjoy the ability to dive bomb and such with the floating trem. If you have no intention of ever touching that trem bar, then stick with the hard tails
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:39 AM

Re: Opinions on the rg3550mz

I do not own a 3550z, but I do own a 2550z.

I have to say upfront that what you will likely find around here is most opinions on that guitar, and any Prestige, will depend upon the opinion of the Edge Zero. The Edge Zero is not very popular around here, with most preferring the original Edge or the Lo Pro Edge, and maybe a few preferring the Edge Pro. I'm going to leave it at that and not get into pros and cons. If you want to find out more, a search will provide many more pages of discussion about the EZ than I can summarize here.

Bottom line: try one out before you buy if you can. If it seems ok to you, go for it. It's an entirely adequate and functional tremolo unit.

From strictly an ease of ownership perspective, the EZ is only slightly more complicated than any other tremolo unit. Remove the ZP bar and then it's basically no more complicated than an Edge or Floyd Rose.

I have multiple guitars with Locking trems. I don't set them up and I infrequently change strings. I get a professional set up with a trusted and knowledgeable tech using Elixir strings and then I basically can forget about them for several months. Maybe on an occasion I'll unlock the nut and make sure the guitar is truly 440mhz. Maybe. Big maybe. Usually I just fine tune the strings I bend the most and fine tune the thirds as is required from chord progression to chord progression. I'm lazy like that. It worked for Eddie Van Halen, and it works for me.

YMMV depending on tremolo use. I'm not a heavy user as some.

If you want an idea of how a typical double locking tremolo is to maintenance and setup yourself, you can find lots of tutorials and information on the internet. Keep in mind it will be slightly different for an Edge Zero in terms of set up, but the fundamentals will be the same. I believe there's a tutorial around here for the EZ or ZR (a bit different than the Edge Zero, but has the ZP bar system) that you might find helpful.

Otherwise, as Jeminizer said, this is a good starting place for all things related to Ibanez setup...

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

...and is widely considered the best "ending place" if you do want to buy an Ibanez.

Last edited by RedTiger; 07-28-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode