Opinions on the Schecter Jeff Loomis sig 7 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Opinions on the Schecter Jeff Loomis sig 7

I've got GAS for a new 7 string and have narrowed it down to two potentials. One is the new premium universe and the other is the schecter jeff loomis signature model. I've played the Loomis many times as well as older uv models and just can't decide.

I know that this section is supposed to be for discussing all other 7's so I'm not looking for in depth discussion of the uv as much as I'm just fishing for the opinion of other musicians. By the way, I play mainly Dream Theater tunes but from time to time I like to rock some really heavy stuff.

What do you folks think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 AM

Re: Opinions on the Schecter Jeff Loomis sig 7

Very different guitars. With the 26.5" scale length and active pickups, the Loomis is definitely geared a little more towards modern metal. The neck is probably a little thicker as well, but that's not necessarily a bad thing - my PWH is a little thin for my tastes, to be perfectly honest. I like the Blazes in the UV, partiocularly the bridge - that pickup in basswood is responsible for probably 95% of the "classic" seven string recordings (Awake, Passion and Warfare, Covenant, etc) and it's a sound that just works, IMO. The bridges are more or less equivalent - I always liked the Edge, but when mine literally crumbled to pieces a few years back (a previous owner of my PWH had beat the thing pretty thoroughly and the metal around the bar holder was flaking away) I dropped in an OFR and have pretty much switched over since.

There's merits to both - the UV is more versatile, so for me if I had to choose one seven that'd be it, but the Loomis is a great guitar too and may be a little more to your taste.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. That's a great comparison of both. I like the Loomis for the ash body, but in this case I think the UV is going to be the winner since I play several different styles depending on the mood I'm in and the UV seems to be the "swiss army knife" of 7 strings. It and the Petrucci Music Man but I don't have $3 grand to spend on it now.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 02:10 PM

Maybe look at a used 1527 or 7620 or something along those lines, then?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 02:25 PM

I've owned a Loomis, original UV green dot and the premium. Here are my thoughts:

Loomis:

-Awesome neck shape
-String spacing is wider
-EMGs kind of suck in swamp ash
-Fretwork was good
-Bigass frets are awesome
-Easy to get super low action
-McMaple fretboard is fugly
-The older versions have an actual OFR because at the time there was no korean 7 string 'ofr'
-Plays VERY well for the money

UV:

-Super thin neck...too thin for me. It gave me some wrist pain.
-Medium size frets...im not a fan of this.
-Tighter string spacing is wicked
-I like the trem more than the OFR on the loomis
-Super dark rosewood is awesome, it wasnt pale and disgusting.
-Had a super growly tone (i liked it a lot)
-Looks better than the Loomis

Premium Greendot

-Sucks for the money
-I would never buy another
-I only bought the UV premium because I lost a bet with a friend
-For the same price you can get the real deal used
-ZR trem is super nifty, but i like the edge on the original one better, OFR on loomis is better too
-I cant i supported satan/ibanez
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 01:03 AM

I play everything from double bass to mandolin so neck thickness and fret spacings don't really phase me. That said, here's my take. I dislike the Premium in comparison to an older Universe. To me it is like the difference between a JS-100 and a JS-1000. The Loomis is cool and very playable to me, but I do not really like actives for most of what I play so I don't use it much. Of course I have been known to replace actives with passives, so I might do that here, too. I suppose the best advice is to just get what feels right as long as it gets the sound(s) you want.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 02:32 PM

Reviews: 11

I personally hated the Loomis neck, but it was definitely a quality guitar.

Also, just out of curiosity, what do you consider "really heavy stuff"?

Not poking fun, I swear! Just curious
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I should have been a little more clear on the really heavy stuff. You know, the usual Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, music like that

Fear Factory, Morbid Angel, Feared, and some original stuff as well.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 04:20 PM

i am going to say the the loomis model then. I think the fit and finish on them are a little better then what you would get on the premium and i also think the loomis will fit your style of music a little more.

that said ash is my least favorite body wood, but it has emgs so it will sound like every other guitar with emgs. I would recommend changing out the pickups to live wires, or blackouts just because I think they are more dynamic and ultimately offer a wider range of tones.

As a side note I really freaking dig the alex wade 7 string model, but it is fixed bridge. I dont like white chapple at all though.
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/signature/aw-7.html
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

That LTD Alex Wade is pretty awesome and I love the fact that it's a fixed bridge. Floyds (or the Edge bridges) are nice but a wicked pain in the arse to change strings and dial in.

I actually went ahead and got the UV from an online retailer, whose name I won't mention, and they have an excellent return policy. I take very good care of my gear so I'll play it for a while and if I don't like it I'm going to exchange it for the Loomis.

The thing is that I owned a Loomis NT quite sometime ago and got rid of it to finance a Jem purchase and actually regret it quite a bit. I'm having a hard time with this choice as the UV I got must have been a "good" one because it's great! There are some funky spots in the finish and I think the nut needs shimmed a bit because the pressure pads seem to pull things a tad sharp when tightened down. This is why I like the string trees on the Jems and other older Ibanez models.

What about the possibility of a Sterling by Music Man John Petrucci 7 string?
I owned an actual Music Man model for a while too but sold it to buy my dream guitar a Jem 7VWH. No regrets there by the way.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 10:42 AM

If cost is at all a concern I'd have gone with the Loomis. Also worth a look is the Ibanez Iron Label 7: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/eu/news/f_pr....html#ordering

Looks like it should be about the price of a Loomis, too, and it'll have a n Ibanez neck you're already comfortable with.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 04:09 AM

I had a Loomis NT until few months ago. When I purchased it, it gave me many things I like in a 7 string guitar: maple fretboard, fixed bridge and it's not black! It's a very good guitar for its price, I don't know if better than the Premium UV, but I think is very different.

I've sold it because I wanna try a 8 string and my other 7 string guitar was a gift from my wife, but sometimes I miss my Loomis... Maybe it will come back someday...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode