Opinions on trems - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich
  • 1 Post By xXLinkageXx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on trems

Ok, third post, at this rate I'll be up to four in no time.

I've been looking at all sorts of used RGs, mostly Prestige, but also a reissue RG3XXV that got my attention because of the cool pickup layout. Trouble is, it has an Edge Zero II. After looking around a bit, it seems some think the Zero II is a pretty decent version of the Zero and I figured I could just replace it with a Zero if ever needed. Of course, then I read that the Zero is the least popular of the Prestige trems and it makes me wonder why? Anyway, is there a pecking order for Ibanez trems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Vendor

Re: Opinions on trems

There are many that really like the EZ, it has many features none of the other Edge varieties have, but the stodgy faction that will never accept anything new will berate it to no end, and then they're start on the made in China angle, which no high minded self appointed Ibanez noble will accept.

The only structural issue is the lack of a steel saddle lockdown plate the rest of the Edge breeds have. The lockdown screw can strip the threads and it will need to be Helicoiled for $40 at any machine shop.

The only difference in the EZ and the 2 is the lack of intonation bolt and saddles/base without the bits needed to use it. It also uses a different arm holder design but work the same on both with torque collar and bushings to control bar position.
doriangrey likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:26 AM

I, personally, love the Edge Zero. I've had zero problems with it in the last 9 years. I fully take it apart about once a year for cleaning and haven't stripped anything. You just need to take your time putting it back together, and you'll be fine. Like Rich said, it gets a bad rap because lots of guitarist don't like change. They learned on an original Edge, are used to how it works, and will hate anything else. It does have its cons compared to an edge (fluttering for one), but it also has its pros (being able to go to drop D very easily, double stop bends stay in tune).
doriangrey likes this.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:19 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankhenrylee View Post
Anyway, is there a pecking order for Ibanez trems?
1. Edge/LoPro/EdgePro(with locking stud mod)
2. Gotoh GE1996T or OFR equivalent
3. all other double-locking trems

As you go down the ladder you rethink if you even need a double-locking system of course. Or a trem at all. The player might think "what's the point of a stiff, flutter-less trem that cuts a huge chunk out of the body impacting tone & sustain?"

The comments above are interested since the Zero was a system designed to mitigate players changing to a different brand as their tremolo needs changed. After forcing it on the Prestige S line the problem is 12 years later it's not a game changer and brings negative attention when forced on models.

If it were available as an option no one would really comment or care about it. I personally think it should be an option. More so, Ibanez should offer (license) the Ibanez Backstop for sale would make sense for Ibanez players given their scarcity & prices sold for. But one think to remember is it's not always about the players with Ibanez. Most often it is, just not always.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:34 AM
Vendor

^^^^

Of course the opinion of a self appointed Ibanez noble that's never owned or tested any Zero, and how dare they put a Chinese system, the most versatile they're ever used, on a Japanese guitar. Otherwise he'd know that with the Zero Point bar in you can have bent double stops that stay in relative tune, or you could drop D with almost no change to the tuning, or you can remove the bar and have a fully free floating system that flutters as good as any of them.

And of course it was forced upon players, just as the Edge was forced upon Pro Rocker players, and the Lo Pro forced upon Edge players, then the Edge Pro with it's radically poor radius problems, non locking studs and saddles that fell in half was forced upon Lo Pro players, because that's the trem system that they used during those periods.

The Backstop being available on ebay for $60 from Thailand or Indonesia or wherever they made these last batches from.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:29 PM

Favorite trems are kind of like favorite religions. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, they all have their devotees, some may fit your lifestyle better than others, and plenty of people forgo them all together and still seem to live full lives anyway. And yet, wars have been fought over which one is best.

With that in mind, while an Edge Zero is a higher quality trem than the Edge Zero II, I won't say it's categorically better or worse than an Edge. What I WILL say is if you're thinking of putting one in your guitar, go out and play one and see what you think.

Myself, I own guitars with Edges, with OFRs, with Gotoh Floyds, as well as with Gotoh Wilkinsons and Hipshot Contours. I like them all and while some are better for certain things than others, they're all good enough that for 99.5% of playing situations they won't be a limiting factor. So, if anything, I'd say don't overthink it and just go out there and play your butt off. \m/
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:56 PM

Reviews: 10

Big fan of the Edge Zero bridge here. I have the EZ bridge on 2 of my RG Prestige models and I love the EZ.
I also have OE bridges on a MIJ RG and a MIJ S and I also have a LoPro on a Prestige Sabre - so I am experienced in using the different types. I prefer the LoPro over the OE because I prefer the profile of the LoPro. I enjoy the stability of the EZ for the same reasons Linkage mentioned but I also like the LoPro for wilder trem stuff. I don't understand the need to state one type of bridge as "better" than another. If I were to pick a favorite then I would pick the EZ because of the stability and I also like how I can take the stop bar out and then it feels very much like a free floating bridge should - so I see the EZ as offering the best of both worlds, so to speak.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 09:01 PM
Vendor

Excellent point, in fact the only way trems should be categorized is, which ones to avoid, ie.

Edge Pro 2
Edge 3

Both have a single knife edge plate of soft steel that I've found severely dimpled edges removing a brand new bridge from a guitar.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. For some reason, can't get this forum to open on my iphone so haven't been on in awhile. I passed on the RG3XXV. Probably shouldn't have, cause it didn't go for much, but go interested in getting an Ibby from Rich with his silver package, so now just trying to sort out which one to get.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 08:38 AM

I wouldn't mind more Edge Zero II bridges, it it was not for the terrible variation in trem arm holder tightness. Some have annoying play in them, requiring you to tighten the bar so hard it stays fixed.

Edit: I like the more massive look of the OE though, bad ass piece of metal :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode