Opinions wanted on Double Edge Trem (piezo) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Opinions wanted on Double Edge Trem (piezo)

Hello,
I'm possibly looking to get an Ibanez (my first) soon, and the main one that I'm wanting is an RG prestige with the Double Edge Trem.
How do these sound.
I'm sure they're good as the piezos are made by Fishman (from what I've read), but I'd like to hear some testimonials.

There seem to be a few different models, one or two current products and a few discontinued ones, but I'd like opinions on any of them, or any opinions about the S series with piezo, I guess they would be fairly similar.

thanks,
NandrewJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 06:39 PM

Re: Opinions wanted on Double Edge Trem (piezo)

I've had a 2020X, 2120X and still have a 2027X. I thought they were L.R. Baggs piezos?

I think they sound great when strumming, but it gets awfully compressed and thin if you're trying anything more complicated.

Overall a good choice.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

LRBAggs, that's right. I just had Fishman on the brain while typing.
thanks
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 01:22 AM

I have owned 3. Two RG1620x's, and a regular 620x.

Very playable, but watch those piezo wires. They are thin and i had to do some soldering to one that came loose.

It's stilla a piezo. After buying my new Norman acoustic, I have no use for Piezo's anymore, they just dont do what a true acoustic does. My opinion, if you need it, these are great, but the Piezo doesnt do anything miraculous!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 04:44 AM

LR Baggs indeed.
I have a RG2027x and a S2120x, I love em both! but the best results are not when played through a tube amp. the clean channel of my valvestate amp however make it sounds very nice.
The S2120 also has control knob for bass and treble, which makes the guitar more interesting for use of the piezo bridge, it enhances the sounds quite a bit!
the piezo bridge makes it quite easy to switch within a song between clean almost acoutsic sound, to heavy distorted guitars, while using the same instrument.

btw, with the S2120 I can also use both magnetic pickups and piezo bridge simultaneously, nice feature as well.... :-)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 08:49 AM

I've recently scored a double edge LR Baggs system from e-bay which I had planned to use for a gk midi pickup in my 1570. I also wanted to get the piezo sound in the same guitar, so I installed both systems after routing the guitar. I found the LR Baggs preamp is DOA (probably the reason it was being sold on e-bay in the first place lol) -- but the piezos do work, although not nearly enough power to "keep up with" the magnetics.

Anyhow wired together w/o the preamp they sound ok, when mixed with the bridge or middle pickup they sound very similar to my alvarez acoustic (it has a cheap piezo in it) hooked up to the same amp. It also closely resembles a good acoustic simulator, like the kind of sound metallica used in some of their early music.

I know my setup isnt exactly what you'd get in a production model, although Im sure the preamp mostly just beefs up their sound a bit. I have another Ibanez electric which I installed a shadow piezo trem into, and the doube edge blows it right out of the water. The double edge is not the be all end all of piezos however, its still a piezo and thus it still gets "that piezo sound".

-Greg

Tags
double edge trem , edge trem , magnetic pickups , piezo bridge , production model , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode