Opinions wanted on Steinberger GM_t guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Opinions wanted on Steinberger GM_t guitars

I have been g.a.s.ing for a Steinberger GM2T, GM4T, or GM5T for a long time now. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to play one. I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with Steinberger GM series? What are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance, Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 05:41 AM

Re: Opinions wanted on Steinberger GM_t guitars

I think it's best said by one of the greats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx3kz...el_video_title
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply but he is speaking of the GL or boat paddle model and I am interested in the GM which does have a wooden strat shaped body.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 12:25 PM

I have owned a Newburgh era one, and still own a later MusicYo era GM7TA.

Overall they are great guitars. Some things to consider as compared to an Iba type guitar (since we are on a Iba/Jem website). The necks are Les Paulish with a profile sort of between a 50's LP neck and a 60's LP neck if you know what I mean, not Wizardish at all. The frets are also small like a Les Pauls, definitely not jumbo. The transtrem is a neat idea and works okay, but it is a trem, so it isn't 100% in tune in every position. Down one and up one are pretty close, and the rest will sound fine to your ears when set up properly. If you look at a tuner too much though, you will go crazy.

Some caveats to consider when looking at used ones. The transtrem is bearing driven and most you see on ebay will not return to neutral exactly. Yes, there is a little arm that locks it in place, but the things EVH did with one on OU812 (summer nights) probably won't turn out like you would hope. Your best bet is D'Addario only strings since they recently (within the past 5 years) calibrated them for the Transtrem (TT). And, if your TT isn't set up correctly, it won't transpose at all.

But, the graphite neck is more solid than a wood neck when it comes to tempature and overall it is a very solid guitar. If you are handy with work on guitars, they are a neat challenge to set up.

I bet you discovered steinbergerworld.com and their accompanying Yahoo forum. Lots of information on those pages, but it isn't as hot as it was 5 or 6 years ago when MusicYo was still producing new GM's. The Synapse and ZT3 have sort of slowed the pace of postings there, but there is still great info and the forum community is pretty mature and stays on topic.

Anyways, enough rambling, hope that helped some .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, that is the kind of info I was looking for.

Yes, I have been to steinbergerworld.com and am a member of the forum.

Do you did you find the GM to sound sterile? Any experience with headlessusa?

I already own a bunch of guitars and always loved the look of the GM and the idea of the transtrem. Just looking for something a little different.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 03:37 PM

The NS (or was it M/S?) blend necks on the MusicYo era have a little more midrange than the original Steinberger blend on the Newburgh era necks.

As for sound, that is so subjective. The cleans were really nice to me, and the dirty type sounds were not one way or the other. Honestly, you won't really hear the difference once you experience the guitar. After all, they had EMG's on them. With the HAZ lab active tone control (the stacked concentric knob version), you can change the EQ to your liking. It is extremely useful.

Since you own a bunch of guitars, it is a nice experience. Probably won't change your prefereneces, but you will really appreciate Ned's genius once you own one.

I haven't dealt with headlessusa, but have been very curious since I found there site. I wish they would put up some pics, etc. of what they have since I would probably buy from them than deal with another vintage Steinberger off of *B*y.

If you do deal with them, please bump this thread and share your experience.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

I did buy a GM2T from Don at HeadlessUSA. Don was a pleasure to deal with and the guitar was refurbished, and set up to perfection. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with him again. Here is my newest ax.

Tags
steinberger gm , transtrem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode